• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Splatoon should i get splatoon 2?

HungryForCereal

if it was you I'd never want to leave...
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pink Summer Shell
Mint
Pavé
i suck at FPS and im getting the impression splatoon 2 is very much like overwatch and last time i bought overwatch i only played it like 30mins and i sold it. ya FPS is not my thing but splatoon just looks so fun. should i get it?

Sounds like a no if you don't like those types of games (plus I have heard that Splatoon sucks)

Splatoon isn't really like other fps. Splatoon isn't based on kills, and is based on playing evasively while shooting as much ink as possible.

As a fan of splatoon 1+2 I'll tell you - as someone who hates fps - I love splatoon. The controls are easy to pick up, and then its just about fine tuning your skills to do better and better. However, if you don't have a friend group to play with, maybe this game isn't for you. Since this game has a broad playerbase- there is no easy way to say this, but a lot of little children play. You will often be teamed up with players who don't seem to do anything, and you will have no way of communicating with these players that they should help. This is the most annoying thing about the game for me. But, you will rarely find kids in team matches, so if you have 3 friends who play, you will not encounter this.

If you like cute games with an emphasis on player customisation, quick play, and great music? Then you might like splatoon 2.

The games biggest fault is definitely nintendos bad web infastructure, so if you also happen to have a bad connection, then this game will really test your patience. I'd say don't compare this game to overwatch because it's not a heroes based game at all, and from what I can tell doesn't play much like it either. If you want to get a feel for the game, maybe watch streams of it or something.

I too do not like shooters one bit. Never have and probably never will, but in the case of Splatoon I can't get enough of this game. It's a shooter that just doesn't feel like a shooter to me. I've been a fan since the first game on Wii U and the sequel is even more fun! I originally had no interest in the original game until I tried a demo and went from not caring about to buying it day one on release.

If possible maybe see if you can find someone who will let you try it out. I find actually playing even just a few mins of a game can help you get a feel of if you like it or not.

Not being a shooter fan, turf war is my favourite mode. Sure you still get to "shoot" other people online but since you are busy inking turf you don't run into people as much as the other crazier ranked modes. I play ranked mode sometimes but Turf is always my go to. Even if I'm playing badly in turf war I still have a ton of fun.

Highly recommend this game.

Last edited:
Coming from a splatoon weeb who doesn't even own a switch, YOU MUST! The splatfests are super fun to play with (who doesn't remember ketchup vs mayo, people like ketchup too much) And the Campaign is super fun to play, (so many puzzles)

I love turf wars and rainmaker, it doesn't focus on killing the opposite team (like Team Deathmatch) but covering territory, and the team that covers the most wins!

For rainmaker mode, its fun splatting people with the rainmaker (but its super hard to)

There is also a wide variety of weapons for your arsenal, and not only that, you can add abilities to your clothing! ) which makes the gameplay more viable to your hands, instead of what the game throws at you.

If you really have a hard time choosing if you want to buy, just go watch Zackscottgames.

Last edited:
Splatoon doesn't really remind me of overwatch at all actually! Both are very easy to get into and have fun with though, especially if you're new to shooters. I don't play any fps games besides those 2, actually! It sounds like you didn't get the first splatoon either, so I think it's totally worth the purchase!

Well first of all, it's a third person shooter not a first person shooter. Second, comparing it to Overwatch is like apples and oranges. This is coming from someone who plays both. If you didn't like the first Splatoon, then don't get it. It's basically an upgraded version of that game. New maps, weapons, Salmon Run, and a new story. I personally don't think it's worth $60 because it doesn't feel like an entirely new game to me. You don't need to have great aim to play the main mode, Turf Wars. You're just spraying ink around the map. For instance, they have weapons that require no gun use such as paint brushes and rollers.

Last edited:
Well first of all, it's a third person shooter not a first person shooter. Second, comparing it to Overwatch is like apples and oranges. This is coming from someone who plays both. If you didn't like the first Splatoon, then don't get it. It's basically an upgraded version of that game. New maps, weapons, Salmon Run, and a new story. I personally don't think it's worth $60 because it doesn't feel like an entirely new game to me. You don't need to have great aim to play the main mode, Turf Wars. You're just spraying ink around the map. For instance, they have weapons that require no gun use such as paint brushes and rollers.

Do not forget trash.

200px-Tri-Slosher_Nouveau_HQ.png

I'd say do it. When I played the test fire all the fps - tps I've played was battle front ( 3 ) and i loved Splatoon the whole time I could play it! It didn't feel very hard to play and it was so fun! Also you can't compare it to Ow it's totally different with really cool mechanics! I know I'm getting as one of my next switch games!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd say do it. When I played the test fire all the fps - tps I've played was battle front ( 3 ) and i loved Splatoon the whole time I could play it! It didn't feel very hard to play and it was so fun! Also you can't compare it to Ow it's totally different with really cool mechanics! I know I'm getting as one of my next switch games!

Oh and PS. This should be in the splat zone not I'm the tree house ( we're trying to keep it clean to not lose the deposit! )

I've played a lot of FPS in my time but never really held interest for long. I only played Overwatch for a month or so then was done. I've played the original Splatoon and am now playing Splatoon 2. I can't deny they are obviously very reminiscent of traditional team shooting games, so if that's something you know you generally don't like, don't expect anything radically different from the Splatoon experience. However, the main thing that makes it stand out from the others is its atmosphere and style. It feels a lot funner to play to me, and I like being able to have a unique kind of focus that feels fresh (pun intended) compared to other shooters I've played, which is about covering as much turf as possible in ink rather than wracking up kills or capturing a point. The various weapons like the splat rollers keep things interesting too. It's fun and unique, but you should expect it to still be reminiscent of the basics of traditional multiplayer shooters, because that's most definitely what it still is. You have to not mind losing a lot of the time, because after all, in a 1v1 team match, one team has always gotta lose.

Last edited:
There are some weapons that behave like classic weapons from shooter games. But there are some that are more melee and such. It definitely doesn't feel like Overwatch, having played both (well not Splatoon 2 but I played the first Splatoon quite a bit). You can choose a weapon that isn't a gun at all. For certain game modes you can completely focus on just covering the map in paint.

Go watch footage of gameplay for different modes and weapons. See if a friend has the game and ask to play it to get a feel for it. You won't know for sure if you like it until you play it.

Back