Favourite "melancholy/sad" band(s) or song(s)?

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
7046-6089-3415
So my favourite music consists of sad and deep lyrics. Take the new Brand New album (Science Fiction) as an example. Deep, sad lyrics.
So, the question begs to be answered -- what are your favourite "sad" songs or bands?

For me, my favourite "sad" bands and songs consist of songs from The Smashing Pumpkins, Three Days Grace, Brand New, Linkin Park, Paramore (especially their newest album, After Laughter), BMTH, Breaking Benjamin and The Cure.

Curious as to what you guys say. I need more "sad" music to listen to. :p

Man I used to be obsessed with breaking Benjamin lol As for sad and or melancholy bands anything with Andy Hull is nice to listen to. Manchester orchestra and bad books are my two favorite bands he's in but he's in a couple more. Give them a listen. However, if that's not to your style please check out Billy Tallent. From the stuff you listed off I feel like you'd like them a lot.

Last edited:
Man I used to be obsessed with breaking Benjamin lol As for sad and or melancholy bands anything with Andy Hull is nice to listen to. Manchester orchestra and bad books are my two favorite bands he's in but he's in a couple more. Give them a listen. However, if that's not to your style please check out Billy Tallent. From the stuff you listed off I feel like you'd like them a lot.

I love Manchester Orchestra and Billy Talent! :D I forgot to list them. I love Billy Talent's "Nothing To Lose". I relate to it quite a bit sometimes. ;^;

Last edited:
Oh my god really! Thank you! I've never met anyone who knew of Billy Talent! You've got good taste in music :) The fist song I heard by them was Rusted from the Rain and I loved it. I still listen to them on occasion.

If you like Manchester orchestra you'd like his other band Bad Books so give them a listen too. I absolutely love the lyrics of their music. Sad, relatable, hopeful. A mix of emotions.

Last edited:
Oh my god really! Thank you! I've never met anyone who knew of Billy Talent! You've got good taste in music :) The fist song I heard by them was Rusted from the Rain and I loved it. I still listen to them on occasion.

If you like Manchester orchestra you'd like his other band Bad Books so give them a listen too. I absolutely love the lyrics of their music. Sad, relatable, hopeful. A mix of emotions.

Yay you think I have good taste in music! ^-^ I'll definitely check out Bad Books during my free periods tomorrow at school. :)

I'm a big fan of Brand New's recent album. As for sad songs / artists;

Real Friends. Pretty much any song of theirs has the ability to evoke some sort of emotion in me, with special mentions to their acoustic songs, such as their acoustic version of "I Don't Love You Anymore" and their song "Sixteen"

La Dispute, with songs like "HUDSONVILLE MI 1956" and "THE CHILD WE LOST 1963". "Andria" gets me too. Oh, also "King Park", the lyrics on that one.

I often find bands like Rise Against "sad", the more political themed songs are emotion provoking, there's also songs like "Everchanging", other bands Like Billy Talent fit in here too.

Moose Blood is another band, the acoustic version of "Glow" is notable, along with "Cherry", but a lot of their songs fit this theme for me.

Mallory Knox - "Bury Your Head"

Flatsound - songs like "Don't Call Me at All".

Old Gray - "Like Blood From A Stone"

Jimmy Eat World - "Hear Me Now"

Dashboard Confessional's covers of the songs "Using" and "Sex"

Pvris - "Waking Up (Acoustic)"

A few of Neck Deep songs, along with similar bands.

I'll leave it there, all the songs / artists are from very similar genres, there's a lot of songs that evoke emotion in me but they're less mainstream and / or of a very different genre that I don't think would fit my list..

Last edited:
I don't know a ton since I've been trying to make an effort to listen to more happy music, but I guess "Broken" by Gorillaz maybe has more of a sad vibe, which is a song I like quite a bit.

Three Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin
Seether

I saw the three in concert like ten years ago lol. I loved it.

Evanescence is amazing too

Foxing (both my town's are named after two of their songs), there's a band I'm not gna get away with saying the name of on here but if you look up the album 'narssisit on the verge of a mental breakdown' you'll find him no problem, elvis depressedly, sorority noise (my fave), seahaven's album 'reverie lagoon: music for escapism only' is good, daughter, tiny moving parts, knuckle puck's song 'untitled' is sad as hell

i love bedroom pop bands, theyre relaxing, upbeat, though have such a dreary almost sad/nostalgic sound to them because of the low quality, and the lyrics are super depressing. most of them are indie & arent signed to huge labels but still so beautiful! theyre the best songs to cry to IMO (lol) or just stare at the ceiling when youre feeling moody, without the edgy feeling that louder bands give u lol

check out teen suicide, elvis depressedly , salvia palth, pill friends, julia brown, youth lagoon , crywank, & flatsound

i do like louder emo/twinkly bands too though, such as snowing, foxing, the world is a beautiful place, cap'n jazz, algernon cadwallader, & old gray to name some, i cant remember much bc i havent been listening to music much at all lately @__@ darn iphone 7 has no headphone jack

all those artists you listed i like(d) also, but havent listened to in a good few years (except brand new and bmth aha) they get some smack from emo-elitists though LOL. i try not to be (lol, ill only silently judge :p) but my bf is a bit more outspoken >_< though his tastes are more refined & he is more knowledgeable on the art/structure of music than i am

Last edited:
Rise Against is my all time fav band, but all of their songs are pretty sad lol
they're all on touchy subjects, like real world events, depression, PTSD and so on

I really like an artist named "Sufjan Stevens" for his album "Carrie and Lowell", because they're all about the loss of his parents. It's prettty sad in terms of the theme, but otherwise it's a very good album. Specifically the songs "Death with Dignity" and "Should have known better".

my goodness, how have all of you overlooked the original (and retro) kings of melancholy:

The Smiths

my goodness, how have all of you overlooked the original (and retro) kings of melancholy:

The Smiths

Yes! I was just about to say! I absolutely love The Smiths. <3 I really like some of Morrissey's solo stuff, too.

In terms of other sad bands, how about Death Cab for Cutie and Joy Division?

metisse! she has some really haunting melodies. check out "nomah's land"!

anything by the fleet foxes ("he doesn't know why") or iron & wine ("passing afternoon," "house by the sea").

sufjan stevens, "fourth of july."

beirut, "the rip tide."

i also really like dido haha. "white flag" and "thank you."

I really love My Chemical Romance they're great for sad songs like 'Heaven help us' which is one of my faves
Also Tokio Hotel before they completely changed everything that was good about them they had some really great ones like 'Don't jump' and 'By your side'
Also Bring Me the Horizon has a beautiful dong called 'Hospital for souls'

Last edited:
Back