• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Mafia Hosting Tips (2017 version)

radical6

stop pming me for collectibles
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pink Star Fragment
New Horizons Token
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
ヽ( ? ∇ ` )ノ

So, recently like the past 5 games have been unbalanced, two having to stop on like day 2 because it was just.. not balanced for mafia in general.

I'm not the BEST host, (tina/minties/feloreena are dead tho RIP) but I am probably one of the remaining players who have hosted quite a bit. So here are my tips I use for balancing games.

For background: I have hosted MANY experimental games that have lasted far beyond day 2. I consider them fun, I can however host vanilla games well, but I expect Karla's guide (read this too and scroll down to hosting tips) to be simple enough to guide people through that. However, his guide doesn't really seemed to be used anymore now that more and more hosts want to add interesting crazy roles to their games.

My credentials:

Teen Beach Movie Mafia (Partners) - This was a game where although roles were rather vanilla, I saw a rather cute setup on mafiascum and wanted to try it here. This game was one of my first hosted games, one of the first experimental games (back then called unofficial), and was an open setup. (I will explain these terms later). This game had no PMs but everyone in the game was paired up with one person they could talk to in private (besides scum who could talk to each other) and they could talk to each other. Yeah. The game probably wouldve been longer if the doctor didnt save 3 people in a row...

Madoka Magica Mafia (Gunbearer) - Another unofficial game with a different twist, similar to Bowie's game but still had scum. Again, I used a setup from mafiascum. Lasted for 7 days but town sucked LUL

Bravely Default Mafia (mini series) - Experimental in nature, but no one really used it so it was basically a normal game.

Dragon Age Inquisition Mafia (the queue died by this point) - vanilla game

Tarot Mafia - vanilla game which was going fine, but I unfortunately had to withdraw from hosting due to unforeseen medical complications.

I feel like I hosted more games but I forgot. I dunno I just remember the games oath linked on the wiki for me. Anyway onto to the tips.

Open Setup / Semi Open Setup / Closed Set Up

Most games on TBT are Closed Set Ups.

A Closed Set Up is when the information of possible roles, amount of roles, factions etc are hidden from public view. Usually only the host will have 100% knowledge of how many roles are in the game, which blue roles have x flavor names, etc. The only exception is a role that can perform a census and find out at the start of the game the # of town (or blues to be more specific) and scum.

A Semi Open Setup is when everyone at the beginning of the game has knowledge of what roles may show up in the game, but not told of the # of roles or if they're even in the game. They are also aware of what that role might be called flavor wise (ex you will list Tom Nook is the godfather) You do not have to use roles listed in your post in the actual game. People will not know who is scum or town or whatever.

An Open Setup is when everyone at the beginning of the game knows exactly how many roles are in the game, similar to a semi setup but much more precise. This makes it harder for mafia to counterclaim, and is rarely seen in TBT.

I would usually recommend newbie hosts to start with a Semi Open Setup. It's the best of both worlds.

How do you balance roles?

Well, a rule of thumb (thanks to Karla) is 1.25 blues for every 5 players. For mafia, you want 1 mafia for every 5 players. So in a game of 15, you would probably have 3 mafia and probably 2-4 blues (depending on how powerful they are).

So, why don't people use this rule of thumb anymore..?

Well, it seems from the games I look everyone is adding town roles that aren't the typical standard that the guide Karla wrote was for - roles that are not detective(cop)/vig/doctor. If you add something like watcher in, you have to make sure it will actually be useful depending on what mafia is, etc...

Now, I will be using Bianca's game as an example. Sorry Bianca, I love you, but I wanna write this as a learning experience and you did your best as a first time host. Now ignoring what I played as (LUL), there were 2 masons and a cop in that game.

What is a mason? Masons are typically 2 people who know for a fact they are town (unless you're adding some crazy **** on it but I assume no one here is going to be playing any ******* setups), and can communicate with each other in non PM games.

Masons and cops are rarely together in small games, since they basically replace a cop. 2 masons = 1 cop, and until we get larger games you really should not be having a (vanilla) cop in a game with 2 masons.

This is an example of how you can't just throw random town roles you like because they sound cool and keep using that formula. It doesn't work because some blues are better than others.

Now, if you make the cop totally useless (paranoid/naive variant - meaning their inspections ALWAYS return mafia/town and therefore cant be useful), a cop + 2 masons is insanely op for town.

Another note, if you really want to have a cool role that is also powerful in your setup, you can make it 1 shot. For example, some people have given vigs here unlimited shots for whatever reason - that is a recipe for disaster if they use their shot every single night. Especially if they're good. Mafia can lose by day 2 in a small game.

A one shot vig/jailer/etc is fine - you can make them powerful but these people have to carefully think about their role.

You must also think of how these roles interact with mafia too, if their role serves any purpose. For example, a godfather in a game with no cops is useless.

Role balance is very very tricky and you only get a greater hand on it once you become more experienced, so I really do not suggest people to add tricky roles into their games as a first time host.

I won't be here for like a year probably so you can't PM me to look at any future setups, but please PM someone who isn't playing and is experienced to look over your setup. This is really a case by case basis if you're using non standard roles, I can't list every possible scenario but feel free to ask me until sept 10.

Small tips in general

How to write a good role PM

Now some hosts like to write creative role PMs where EVERY one in the game has their own unique character they are and no one else in the game will have it. If you're going to do this, make sure you're consistent and don't give the same name to someone. This is not required though.

However, do note, people like to put a lot of detail and put the character image in blahblahblah and make it look fancy. This takes a **** ton of time though if you also decide to write flavor text for each role. Anyway onto the important stuff.

When you give someone a power role (not townie), you must make sure you list what their role actually does. Let's say you give someone the doctor, you have to explain what the doctor does. Usually the rule for a doctor is "you may protect one person each night, but you cannot protect the same person twice in a row." You must be very specific. I like to add "you may/may not protect yourself" to specify further details.

For a vig, you will usually say something like "You may shoot 1 person at night for [X] amount of times." X being how many shots they have. However, I also like to specify "In the event of a roleblock (do not confirm there is a roleblocker in your game btw if you write this), or your target has already been killed by someone else, your shot will be refunded." Now, the second part (mafia or SK already tried to kill their target), it is completely optional whether or not you want to refund their shot. Hell, some hosts even refund their shot if they are roleblocked. It is completely up to you to decide what you would do, but you should be very specific about these matters from the get go. This is to ensure that the player 100% knows the limits of their role and does not make a mistake because they did not know your rules.

Now, finally, when you write a wincon you should be careful. This mostly only applies to closed set ups, but really unless you want to confirm whether or not there are hostile third parties, you should really make town's wincon "You win once all hostile parties are eliminated" vs "You win once all mafia is eliminated." Because although mafia won't see the town wincon until a town member dies, once they read that role PM they should know for a fact there is no serial killer in the game can shouldn't worry. The same goes for town, small detail but can affect games.

Timezone Consideration

Now, most games end at a set time. However, if you live in like an unpopular area and make the game end at a convenient time for you, it might be very unfair for players elsewhere. Imagine if day ended at 4am in the morning for most of people. Little discussion would happen right before day ended for a lynch, causing more players to not be there for an important time.

I like to consider the golden time 4 PM PST, its fine for most Americans, and if Europeans stay up late (11 pm I think for most, or midnight-2am) it's not TOO bad for weekends/summer/kids. People in Asia are ****ed though, but most people playing should be American/European.

Host Influence

Hosts should rarely step in to dictate how a game is flowing. The only time you should post is to answer questions directly asked by players in the game (they must be bolded in your question color and font). You should not influence how players are posting. You cannot step in a game and say "Please do not mass claim"
(mass claiming rules dont exist), you should not post something that could directly influence someone's lynch either. Besides that, you should only post when day/night ends.​

How to keep track easily

Most people set up an excel sheet (or google sheets) to keep track of actions/roles/players. Easy to sign up and use if you decide to use google.

I use this site to randomize players for teams. You can probably use a google doc to paste your role pms and flavor text. Please do not use your phone to keep track of all this. Please do not host on your phone either.

People use quicktopic for mafia scum chats/observer/special permission out of communication chat for town.

Do NOT delete your quicktopic for ANY group. Keep it up.

Also don't forget to make a voting thread and tally your votes.

When to send a PM to a player

Rule of thumb for standard roles (ask for more specific roles to someone looking at your setup)

Doctor
If a doctor saves someone from death, the person saved is told they were protected and successfully saved for that night.

If a doctor saves someone, and the saved person was already notified, it is up to the host to message the doctor telling them they successfully saved someone that night. I do this, there isn't much reason not to.

Quick note for a doctor: A doctor save is only good for 1 kill, unless that person has an extra life, if mafia uses 2 kp on the victim they will still die. You must still notify the doctor that they protected their person from one kill.

Veteran

If they are hit that night and survive, you must tell them they took a hit.

Roleblocker

If a power role is roleblocked from doing their ability (unless passive like granny/veteran), then the person should be notified.

It is up to a host whether or not to notify a vanilla townie/goon they were roleblocked.

Feel free to ask for other roles.

[Future Content]
If anyone else has anything they want to add, feel free and I'll edit it in or if they have any questions. It's 3 am so I'm outtie.

Omg haha but hey its really a good insight the mods shud pin this thread

- - - Post Merge - - -

I suggest post uncommon roles and their similarities with common roles just saying

Omg haha but hey its really a good insight the mods shud pin this thread

- - - Post Merge - - -

I suggest post uncommon roles and their similarities with common roles just saying

ill probably do that when i get some sleep

TBH if the game reaches about 17+ players then I think its alright to have there be a 4th scum. If its less then 17 though it should definitely be 3.

Oh, and @hosts i demand you add 6 blue roles and 3 third parties to every game from here on out until the end of time. :lemon:

good stuff

lovin it

well done kallie <3

- - - Post Merge - - -

good stuff

lovin it

well done kallie <3

Back