Does anyone miss the shorter villager style sometimes?

Becca617

small-fry existentialist
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
4748-2830-2698
New Leaf Token
Winter Mittens
Cake
With the most recent AC title being new leaf, all of the characters (except mice and maybe a couple others) are tall and not short compared to the past games. This is especially noticable on the horses, cats, and dogs. I personally think the tall bodies look really strange on the cats, dogs, and horses and I think they look a lot cuter when they're shorter but it's just my preference.

For example: New leaf Roscoe vs CF Roscoe.

tall.PNGshort.PNG

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I think horses for one look better now but cats definitely looked cuter (when they are supposed to be cute) when they were smaller. Mixed bag I say. Some look better, some look worse. Although in general I won't complain about improving graphics.

Hmm.. I'm conflicted. The short style is definitely a lot cuter, but I also really like that some villagers, especially the horses, are taller. I feel like it's more fitting that they're different heights depending on the species. I personally prefer the longer bodies.

I don't blame you for missing the shorter style though. Just look at that teeny Roscoe, he looks like a chibi.. so cute!

I can see what you mean about the cuteness, but for me the overall designs are cutesy enough and possibly fit my aesthetic better.

I've actually noticed that I prefer the taller villagers (to the frogs, mice and squirrels). I don't know why - maybe because I like them being of similar size as my character?
The variety works well for me; having different heights makes the shorter ones even more adorable in comparison <3

I've actually noticed that I prefer the taller villagers (to the frogs, mice and squirrels). I don't know why - maybe because I like them being of similar size as my character?
The variety works well for me; having different heights makes the shorter ones even more adorable in comparison

Hmm, thinking about this I am probably the opposite. Frogs are my favourite and I really like squirrels too (shoutout Static) though I've had no mice yet in New Leaf. So I prefer the shorter villagers. Different strokes etcetera.

Some are good some aren't, but for the most part, I prefer the CF designs.

the shorter style is really cute and makes some villagers look better, but i don't think it'd really blend in all that well with the style of new leaf. i like both styles personally

The shorter villagers were definitely cuter in my opinion. I miss the personalities/dialogue from the earlier games the most though.

Meh, I do like the height improvements though, makes the whole design just flow a lot better

Oooh the Horses do look cuter shorter, but I think the Cats and Dogs look cute tall in NL! I couldn't imagine them any other way now~

Sure wish the Horses had stayed short, but they are bigger animals, so they don't look horrible tall either.

Sometimes I miss the shorter villagers, but only when I play an older game in the series and then switch back to New Leaf. In honesty I think I like both equally :p

I never actually played any of the titles before New Leaf. Animal Crossing always looked boring to me, so I didn't bother. I was obviously wrong about it being boring, but I don't really have experience with the shorter villagers. I feel like horses should be bigger because that's more realistic, but cats and dogs might look nice small? I think they're cute either way to be honest <3 unless they're like a disgusting bottom of the barrel villager, in which case, ew, please die.

I think the shorter style was more cute but I like that there are more height variations between the species. Our player character also grew so I think the change was only fitting.

I mean, I like the shorter style, as some villagers looks really cute in that style. However, I prefer
more the new style as it has more details.

Last edited:
If anything I kinda miss how the bears look. They look so big and intimidating. The body also looks really awkward for certain bears. Especially for bears like Charlise and Paula.

I definitely think this! I don't exactly wish the horses had stayed shorter, since it would have looked weird next to all the other animals in a more realistic style, but I agree that in a side-by-side comparison, the horses looked adorable when they were small. The dogs and cats look nice either way, I think, but I find the elephants, cows, and hippos more appealing in smaller form as well.

this is probably my biggest gripe in the ACNL, I LOVED the shorter villagers, but for some reason, they felt a full 180 on looks was best, and now a huge portion of villagers look awkward, I think the only ones who look better are the eagles just cause b4 they looked smashed a little, but it fit the game overall, so it was acceptable, now its super awkward looking!!!!

I like the diversity with height. It's more realistic and gives more charm, I think it makes the game way more cute. Maybe I'm just so used to NL now, I enjoyed WW a lot but I just love NL. Except for the fact that I can't choose where characters build their homes. Bleh!

Back