• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Does anyone miss the shorter villager style sometimes?

Becca617

small-fry existentialist
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4748-2830-2698
New Leaf Token
Winter Mittens
Cake
With the most recent AC title being new leaf, all of the characters (except mice and maybe a couple others) are tall and not short compared to the past games. This is especially noticable on the horses, cats, and dogs. I personally think the tall bodies look really strange on the cats, dogs, and horses and I think they look a lot cuter when they're shorter but it's just my preference.

For example: New leaf Roscoe vs CF Roscoe.

tall.PNGshort.PNG

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I think horses for one look better now but cats definitely looked cuter (when they are supposed to be cute) when they were smaller. Mixed bag I say. Some look better, some look worse. Although in general I won't complain about improving graphics.

Hmm.. I'm conflicted. The short style is definitely a lot cuter, but I also really like that some villagers, especially the horses, are taller. I feel like it's more fitting that they're different heights depending on the species. I personally prefer the longer bodies.

I don't blame you for missing the shorter style though. Just look at that teeny Roscoe, he looks like a chibi.. so cute!

I can see what you mean about the cuteness, but for me the overall designs are cutesy enough and possibly fit my aesthetic better.

I've actually noticed that I prefer the taller villagers (to the frogs, mice and squirrels). I don't know why - maybe because I like them being of similar size as my character?
The variety works well for me; having different heights makes the shorter ones even more adorable in comparison <3

I've actually noticed that I prefer the taller villagers (to the frogs, mice and squirrels). I don't know why - maybe because I like them being of similar size as my character?
The variety works well for me; having different heights makes the shorter ones even more adorable in comparison

Hmm, thinking about this I am probably the opposite. Frogs are my favourite and I really like squirrels too (shoutout Static) though I've had no mice yet in New Leaf. So I prefer the shorter villagers. Different strokes etcetera.

Some are good some aren't, but for the most part, I prefer the CF designs.

the shorter style is really cute and makes some villagers look better, but i don't think it'd really blend in all that well with the style of new leaf. i like both styles personally

The shorter villagers were definitely cuter in my opinion. I miss the personalities/dialogue from the earlier games the most though.

Meh, I do like the height improvements though, makes the whole design just flow a lot better

Oooh the Horses do look cuter shorter, but I think the Cats and Dogs look cute tall in NL! I couldn't imagine them any other way now~

Sure wish the Horses had stayed short, but they are bigger animals, so they don't look horrible tall either.

Sometimes I miss the shorter villagers, but only when I play an older game in the series and then switch back to New Leaf. In honesty I think I like both equally :p

I never actually played any of the titles before New Leaf. Animal Crossing always looked boring to me, so I didn't bother. I was obviously wrong about it being boring, but I don't really have experience with the shorter villagers. I feel like horses should be bigger because that's more realistic, but cats and dogs might look nice small? I think they're cute either way to be honest <3 unless they're like a disgusting bottom of the barrel villager, in which case, ew, please die.

I think the shorter style was more cute but I like that there are more height variations between the species. Our player character also grew so I think the change was only fitting.

I mean, I like the shorter style, as some villagers looks really cute in that style. However, I prefer
more the new style as it has more details.

Last edited:
If anything I kinda miss how the bears look. They look so big and intimidating. The body also looks really awkward for certain bears. Especially for bears like Charlise and Paula.

I definitely think this! I don't exactly wish the horses had stayed shorter, since it would have looked weird next to all the other animals in a more realistic style, but I agree that in a side-by-side comparison, the horses looked adorable when they were small. The dogs and cats look nice either way, I think, but I find the elephants, cows, and hippos more appealing in smaller form as well.

this is probably my biggest gripe in the ACNL, I LOVED the shorter villagers, but for some reason, they felt a full 180 on looks was best, and now a huge portion of villagers look awkward, I think the only ones who look better are the eagles just cause b4 they looked smashed a little, but it fit the game overall, so it was acceptable, now its super awkward looking!!!!

I like the diversity with height. It's more realistic and gives more charm, I think it makes the game way more cute. Maybe I'm just so used to NL now, I enjoyed WW a lot but I just love NL. Except for the fact that I can't choose where characters build their homes. Bleh!

Back