• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doctor is completely crazy! I'm an adult autistic woman and my relationship and closeness with my mother cannot be matched! I am able to form close relationships with others as can my 4 year old nephew who may be as well. He's in the early stages of testing for it. We both are close and have close relationships with others.

Being autistic does not affect how close you can be to someone. Yes it makes it harder for us to express ourselves, but that does not affect how we feel or how others feel towards us.

As for the "you look and act so normal" comments? I can't stand those. We ARE normal. So what if we are a little different. Isn't everyone? And when we actually do have struggles...everyone has struggles. Ours just can be more difficult. Would people say these things to someone who is depressed or have dementia?

Uni, message me at any time if you need to talk further. This is one of those conversations that gets me going!

That is EXTREMELY untrue. Autism usually causes you to have some level issues with socializing but it doesn't mean you can literally not be close with anyone. I'm extremely close with my Mom and best friend. There are Autistic people who are married, close with their family, or have best friends. You should get another doctor if you can, this one is clearly uninformed.

EDIT: As for the normal stuff, many Autistic people can teach ourselves to blend in well as a survival mechanism, so just because you can pass as Allistic doesn't mean that you are.

Last edited:
Your doctor's an idiot, or your mom misunderstood her/ isn't good at explaining things. Either way, best of luck on your diagnosis and treatment.

What a quack. I really hope there's some misunderstanding because that doctor sounds like she's talking through her ass.

My younger sister calls everyone her best friend, will hug and hold hands with practically anyone she's known for more than an hour and can definitely become close with people, and she's definitely autistic. In fact, just this morning she came home with my mother and told me all about this nice old lady she met at the supermarket and she said she was the "best old lady ever." So that doctor is crazy, very much so.

And autism is not a fixable thing in the slightest, and anyone who thinks that it is needs to content censored. This user is mad. and then maybe they'll understand properly.

It sucks to hear that you can't get a second opinion most likely.

I'd recommend educating yourself on Autism as much as possible. I've known I was Autistic my whole life but I didn't understand it until I started educating myself when I was 15. I'd recommend looking up the "Ask an Autistic" YouTube channel which has dozens of extremely educational videos.

Despite being professionally diagnosed, I've never actually gotten treatment for being Autistic, and there are a lot of recommended treatments that don't work and can actually be harmful (such as certain forms of therapy that discourage non-harmful but not "normal-looking" behaviors). Learning how to take care of yourself (understanding stimming, knowing how to work through executive dysfunction, finding an online support group to discuss things with, developing coping tools for recovering from meltdowns or shutdowns, knowing why you experience the things you do so you don't feel as abnormal, etc) can be just as or even more important than therapies or medications, it is definitely something to look into if therapies and medications are definitely off the table at this point.

- - - Post Merge - - -

https://www.youtube.com/user/neurowonderful Here's the YouTube channel I recommended to you earlier, I'd honestly just spend a good chunk of time trying to watch a lot of their videos cuz these seriously helped me SO much when I found them.

I say that's complete bull. I am pretty sure I have autism technically I am not diagnosed, but I am pretty sure my doctors can see it too. Not all autistic people are not "close" with anyone. Autism is on a spectrum, and obviously not all autistic people are the same. It's a really complicated illness in my opinion. By that I mean it's hard to understand as most people are too ignorant to understand. I haven't really had the time to do some research, but I definitely will in the future.

very untrue and unfair. i have aspergers and i'm extremely close to my fianc?. granted he is the only person i'm close too, i don't really have any friends but autistic people CAN form attachments and relationships.

If one has high-functioning autism, it can be hard to diagnose, and certainly doesn't cause the inability to have any sort of relationship. I'm not sure what the exact process is, but if you're concerned I recommend you get a proper test.

lol autism is a giant spectrum ur mom and that doctor kinda suck a bit when it comes to this haha

everyone who is autistic have enough autistic traits to be diagnosed, but there are so many different ones and different people can have very different difficulties and symptoms. tbh i feel like two people being autistic doesnt necessarily mean that they have something in common (except for like..... the diagnosis autism.......) because it can mean so many different things.

autistic people generally have a harder time with social stuff (which obviously can include connecting with and being close to other people) but the dsm doesnt say "In Order 2 Be A Real AUtistic Person You Have To Have Less Than Zero Friends"

Your doctor is correct, at least by my own expeirence, I can say. I have aspergers syndrome, a less severe form of autism. I am not close with anybody. There is, however, strong bonds. You and your father would have a strong bond if you did have autism of some form. My strongest bond is with my best friend who I've known since 4th grade, but that does NOT mean I am close to her.
Of course, other factors of my life could play a role in my inability to create close relationships.
I hope you get better soon though. Just know suicide won't do anything other than pass your pain to others. ^ ^

I just read through a website that was pmed to me. It explained the common traits of autism. I dont have any of them. none.
And I know that I can't get anyone irl to diagnose me when nobody cares, if someone here could help see if there is any sign of autism in me, that could help:
Autism runs in my family. My dad's brothers have autism. I believe one of my mom's male relatives has autism (i forgot which one). My baby brother has quite bad autism right now, i can clearly see its gonna be a severe case for him.
As you can see, only males in my family have autism. I'm pretty sure no female in my family has it, unlikely that I do but idk....
So, just some past expericences that could relate to this:

-I somehow(?) dont remember this, but apparently when i was in kindergarten, I would always turn off all of the toys and lights, and close the doors. Obviously kids dont care about that right? I was turning off ANY toy that was left on after use, and ANY light left on (like the bathroom lights) I would turn off and close the doors. I seemed quite helpful but that is definitely not normal. I was kinda like this over the years, but that strange problem has long gone.

-You probably know this, but if not, I have the worst social anxietu ever. Like a phobia. I CANT talk to anyone in public that isn't my family, unless it is a teacher or doctor. Otherwise i just cant. impossible. And if i am talking to them, im laughing or crying at times i shouldnt be (or cant control), and I talk too quiet and muffly. Especially with teachers, im told to talk up.
Oh, and only talking to them if nobody else is in the room.

-In kindergarten I had very bad social anxiety. In first grade it got a whole lot better. As I got older, I kept getting worse for no reason. I could still be friends with my old friend right now, but my social anxiety worsened for no reason and I had purposely abandoned her. I dont understand why this is happening to me. Even actual friends couldnt fix me.

-Also, sometime in kindergarten, the teachers were so upset and worried about me that they had a meeting with my parents. They offered to give me special help, but my mom thought of it like they're gonna put me with the disabeled kids, so she declined. she acts like it was a perfect idea but look at me now. so many years she could of gotten help for me and she let me turn into a suicidal person

-I am very sensitive. I cry easy and get mad easily, laugh easily, etc. big problem too and embarassing, my family calls me a crybaby. i also dont like loud sounds, i hate when my sister or mom turns the tv way too loud for my baby brother and i cant turn it down.

-I dont think i have autism, really. I have watched so many videos now and in the past on it, read lots of websites, and did a few tests on the internet. All the traits and stuff, I dont have. So i probably dont have it, plus im a girl and very few girls have it.
But the problem here is that something is wrong with me but i dont know what and everyone tells me im fine, and my mom and several people in the past suggested i have it but very mild. so i have no idea whats wrong with me

Also im gonna say that i know my mom sounds like a monster, but its not her fault. I have 3 siblings that all have problems, my dad is very sick, my baby brother is killing us all, my mom has too too much stress....how is she able to care when her life is too much?

As for your described issues, anxiety with a combination of depression(normal or bipolar) can be your problem. A solution I've found myself(severe anxiety and bipolar depression) is to make sure you consume a decent amount of vitamin c at least once a week(or more depending on how severe). A good start is orange or apple juice. A cup every few days should help a bit. Anxiety and depression can be caused by there not being enough vitamin c in your system :)
Edit: This is speciffically about you saying you're too sensitive and cry easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back