Shayden

mountain time (GMT -7)
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
New Horizons Token
Isabelle
The Bell Tree Fair 2017 Patch
What do you guys think of this movie? Feel free to tell even if you haven't seen the anime/read the manga. If i were to try to write a proper review it would just turn into 'thEY DIDNT INCLUDE NEAR I LOVe-" (j just look at my username heh)

SO some of you more mature people than me can feel free to leave YOUR thoughts. If you want.

im not sure this thread will get much attention

all i've seen is this one shot where light has one of those "NORMAL PEOPLE SCARE ME" posters in his room. that has turned me away from watching it more than anything.

Honestly I hated it, I know it was an adaptation but I assume by that they meant they were going to take elements of the series that made it good. Light's character development was very loosely in there.. not sure why the romance was so focused on? I guess that's just an American quality of movies.. sigh.. I also noticed a bunch of plot holes and random moments that didn't belong or weren't explained. Ex: when did L even find out Light existed? And why didn't Ryuk have his quirky moments! Like the apple was thrown in there very halfheartedly :'( Did I miss where the cop mentioned he had a son? It seemed like they tried to get that part from the series, but it didn't quite translate like that. The chase scene was really weird and I feel like if it was cut down, or even the romance scenes, they could have really went all in on the plot :( I don't know, it was a huge disappointment for me. The anime had me cheering for Light to win, but this movie had me going what the whole time. Same for my boyfriend as well.. WE'RE HUGE DEATH NOTE FANS! I consider it to be my entrance into anime~

there are so many threads for this movie wth
would it be possible for there to just be one big white emo kid death note thread

Last edited:
Apparently there's a sequel in the works, so maybe Near and Mello will be in that? Hopefully Matt is, too. Matt was the coolest two minutes of your life in the anime. The coolest maybe 5-20 pages of your life in the manga.

Horrible. It erases the entire plot basically, and they make Light out to be an outcast, when in the anime hes quite popular. Also they whitewashed the entire movie and changed peoples names to fit white names (ex. light yagami turned into light turner, and misa turned into mia)

Horrible. It erases the entire plot basically, and they make Light out to be an outcast, when in the anime hes quite popular. Also they whitewashed the entire movie and changed peoples names to fit white names (ex. light yagami turned into light turner, and misa turned into mia)

Gosh, I'm so sick of the term whitewashed. I really am. First of all, (I can't believe I have to bring this up again) L was not black in the original. Second, it's not whitewashing, the film was Americanized to match our sense of culture. Like Mach Go Go Go was changed to Speed Racer and the main character's name was changed to Speed. It's done in a lot of different things. I'm not defending this movie by any means, it looks bad from the clips I've watched. Just tired of these comments.

I wasn't too pleased with this film. As a long time fan of Death Note I wasn't happy at all. They changed too much. Light Yagami is intelligent and Light Turner is not. Misa used the Death Note so Light would love her. Mia was insane and only killed to be killing and forced Light into using the Death Note. This film's L was nothing like the L that we know and love. Light Turner never had a sister and his mother is dead. I know it's a very loose adaptation and all but it doesn't even seem like they tried. The best part was Ryuk.

i dont like death note but there was already a live action movie made so imo this one is silly and unnecessary. just watch the other one with subtitles.

Hate it. I actually haven't seen it but from what my friends tell me, they make L be childish and naive, take away his love for desserts and the odd way he sits. They basically take away his entire personality. Also they didn't portray Light right...

Very cringey. If you want to make a horror movie with edgy teenager, at least don't drag Death Note into it.
Also who thought that LIGHTTURNER was a good name? You could change Misa's name, so why not change his as well??

I don't care about their skin colors, a black L won't give you sympathy points and a white Light is okay for an American remake (though Nat Wolff was like the worst choice for this, right after like Evan Peters). But then make it american and don't rely on japanese culture and storytelling to make your movie more appealing. Like I really don't see a point in half-assing the Shinigamis for an american movie. There wasn't even a point in making it the same thing when you could have make an original movie based on the Death Note idea.

The movie could have worked, the anime is short enough to give you an idea for the three acts. At it's core, it was a battle of wits between two social outcasts with high morals and sense of justice. One acts out to find the killer, the other tries to blend in to not get caught. That was like 20-30% of the anime and would have worked well as a movie. L's death in the middle of the show was a huge turning point and a lot of people didn't appreciate it. It would have been so easy to give Death Note fans what they wanted with a smart movie with a climax between L and Light trying to outwit each other to the point where one of them has to die.

Like I do appreciate the aesthetic they were going for and I could have enjoyed a villain!Mia (with a more sympathetic non-NatWolff Light), but they made the movie so close to the original material and they just didn't do it justice, so I think it's fair to call them out on that.

Back