• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What ethnicity are you?

I'm half filipino and half black + a little bit of everything else mixed in (chinese, european, native american descendants etc.) :3 I get confused for literally every race lol

I'm Portuguese, but I suspect that I am also Flemish because my grandparents come from the Azores islands and I've heard when it was discovered by the Portuguese, it received Portuguese and Flemish immigrants. I also suspect African, North African, and Arabic because not to long after the Roman Empire fell, the African Muslims and Arabs invaded Portugal and Spain, there wasn't very much mixing, but there still was some, so it's probably only a small percentage. I also suspect other European ethnicities, like Spanish, Italian, French, and German because there had to be people moving around the Roman Empire so there had to be some mixing, and after the Western Roman Empire fell, Germanic tribes invaded like all of it. What about you?

why would that affect you ethnicity? idk but like, isnt ethnicity what group you feel you "belong" to (based on stuff like culture, ancestry, race, nationality of old dead relatives etc.) i don't get why ancient rome would be important to ur ethnicity, unless ur ancestors didn't hardcore pass on their culture or anything about their ethnicity to their kids and grandkids and whatever it really shouldnt affect ur ethnicity? unless u define ethnicity in some other way lmao idk

like just because humanity started out in africa doesnt mean everyone is african

why would that affect you ethnicity? idk but like, isnt ethnicity what group you feel you "belong" to (based on stuff like culture, ancestry, race, nationality of old dead relatives etc.) i don't get why ancient rome would be important to ur ethnicity, unless ur ancestors didn't hardcore pass on their culture or anything about their ethnicity to their kids and grandkids and whatever it really shouldnt affect ur ethnicity? unless u define ethnicity in some other way lmao idk

like just because humanity started out in africa doesnt mean everyone is african

You just said it. Ethnicity is based on your own feeling of belonging, so if a person feels that their old old ancestors did have an influence on their background and ethnicity, then why not? Ethnicity is defined by yourself, so the way someone else defines it won't be the same as yours.

As for my own ethnicity, mine is New Zealand European/Pakeha for sure. A bit of Australian and English background too.

You just said it. Ethnicity is based on your own feeling of belonging, so if a person feels that their old old ancestors did have an influence on their background and ethnicity, then why not? Ethnicity is defined by yourself, so the way someone else defines it won't be the same as yours.

As for my own ethnicity, mine is New Zealand European/Pakeha for sure. A bit of Australian and English background too.

yeah but it makes no sense to identify strongly w a culture or group you have never been part of.

According to my mom, I am mostly Polish and French, w/ some Swedish, Irish and other stuff mixed in!

Pierogies ftw!

I define it just as where my ancestors came from. The Roman Empire would probably have something to do with it because Portugal was in the Roman Empire in the Hispania province, so there probably would've been people moving around the Empire and mixing with other people.

- - - Post Merge - - -

yeah but it makes no sense to identify strongly w a culture or group you have never been part of.

I see culture and ethnicity as different things, there are cultures that go with an ethnicity but I still think they're different.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh and, during the time of the Roman Empire, all of the countries in it (especially in the European part) had a culture much more similar than it is now, and they all spoke the same language, which was Latin.

I'm starting to wonder if my ancestors were rich Romans or Roman slaves or just boring middle class.

Last edited:
I'm Cambodian-Chinese/Korean. My grandparents were from North Korea, my great-(great?)-grandfather immigrated from China to Cambodia but unlike a lot of Chinese-southeast Asian families who stick strongly to Chinese traditions, my dad's family never did. I actually really hate the "where are you from" question. By nationality I'm Australian but it makes absolutely no sense for me to identify as that because I've never lived there, so I just answer by ethnicity. I grew in Korea, but with both Korean and Cambodian traditions and when people ask I just say one or the other to make it easier, unless they ask me to elaborate.

I'm pretty much just caucassian given that my great-greandparents moved to Chicago from Poland way back in the early 1900s.

But my dad's side is from Poland and my mom's side is from Germany. I'm glad there's no conflict there.

I define it just as where my ancestors came from. The Roman Empire would probably have something to do with it because Portugal was in the Roman Empire in the Hispania province, so there probably would've been people moving around the Empire and mixing with other people.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I see culture and ethnicity as different things, there are cultures that go with an ethnicity but I still think they're different.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh and, during the time of the Roman Empire, all of the countries in it (especially in the European part) had a culture much more similar than it is now, and they all spoke the same language, which was Latin.

I'm starting to wonder if my ancestors were rich Romans or Roman slaves or just boring middle class.

yeah alright then i guess we have different views on what ethnicity means

As far as I know generally I'm half black something and half Russian something.

My ethnicity is Korean, although I'd like to do 23 Me or something bc I wouldn't be surprised if I was part Japanese as well.

Half black, half white.
Mum: Bahamian, Jamaican, African
Dad: American, German, a teensy bit Spaniard

That's a long story short

Back