• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Miiverse is being killed off - your thoughts?

100% completion relies on Miiverse? That's pretty poor. Anyway, online multiplayer should stay up for quite some time (should - there's no guarantee) - the DS and Wii online was only terminated a little short of ten years due to some contract expiring.

I really do hope the online services stay. Would be completely unfair to end them after 5-6 years, DS and Wii had much more time and would of stayed longer if it wasn't for that company taking down the online services. But Nintendo seems to be so wrapped up in their little switch, who knows what could happen.

Well, let's just hope and pray that the online services stay alive
They probably will, but I'm not taking any chances here

Actually I just realized that Miiverse is the only way (?) to take bottom screen screenshots. ;_______;

rip

Actually I just realized that Miiverse is the only way (?) to take bottom screen screenshots. ;_______;

rip

Yeah, and Miiverse tends to be better quality than in-game screenshots (for the few games that have such a feature). Homebrew allows for PNG screenshots which are lossless, so I'm not sure why Nintendo thought "yes, let's get these file sizes as small as possible!"

When online services end is when Nintendo stop supporting the 3ds and Wii U, so actually everyone can access homebrew then because Nintendo isn't making updates to patch it.

Yeah, I've been gaming since I was 3 (started with a SNES from the 1980s) and I only have the vaguest idea what "homebrew" means. What I meant is that not everyone has the necessary skills to utilize homebrew and gain online access.

I don't mind too much... Then again I currently only have 2 3DS games and neither of them require me to use Miiverse

Yeah, I've been gaming since I was 3 (started with a SNES from the 1980s) and I only have the vaguest idea what "homebrew" means. What I meant is that not everyone has the necessary skills to utilize homebrew and gain online access.

The word "homebrew" itself means that the product was made at home, rather than in a company. In this context, it's the apps that aren't endorsed by the maker of the close-sourced hardware (e.g. Nintendo), which can be used once you gain even more access to your console via exploiting some the programming flaws of certain official apps. Due of its convoluted nature, it's important to pay special attention to what you're actually doing, since there is a possibility of getting your device no longer functioning.

I care as I use Miiverse a lot. Everyone there is disappointed, but this is reasonable since there is no Miiverse for the switch, and Nintendo wants to stop supporting the Wii U and 3ds very soon, so of course they start taking down the good services. Soon, online play is gonna go bye-bye. Just wait. (But I am aware that there is ways to get around online play shutdown, but not everyone will do it)

I was very upset when Nintendo discontinued the different Wii channels (Check Mii Out, Everybody Votes, Nintendo Channel, Weather Channel, etc.) and I'm still really upset about it. I was also devastated when they shut down Flipnote Hatens because I loved getting on there and seeing all them amazing flipnotes people made.But I'll always remember the memories I made with those channels and that website.

I didn't have this feeling with Miiverse as I never really used it as a social site, but I did like it in that people could share their game experiences with each other. It's a shame to see it go, but things come and go, and we just have to accept that.

The word "homebrew" itself means that the product was made at home, rather than in a company. In this context, it's the apps that aren't endorsed by the maker of the close-sourced hardware (e.g. Nintendo), which can be used once you gain even more access to your console via exploiting some the programming flaws of certain official apps. Due of its convoluted nature, it's important to pay special attention to what you're actually doing, since there is a possibility of getting your device no longer functioning.

Yeah, I don't see myself taking that chance with something I had to save up for 3 months to get.

The good news is that IGN says Nintendo will be supporting the 3ds beyond 2018.

Last edited:
im going to miss my favorite miiverse posts

"y cant metroid crawl?"
and
"Do you ever notice how metroids helmet looks like his plane..."

not bothered by it since i only use it to upload pictures and post them on other websites. tho idk why cant they just add miiverse to the switch as an update.

I used MiiVerse whenever I did something cool in New Leaf. If you were to go on mine, you'd see a lot of my journey. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same.
But, it is a good thing Nintendo's moving on.
All in all, kind of bittersweet.

i am quite sad when i heard the news, i kinda like it because i got to see different screenshot and drawing from people all around the world, also there are people who make some post and open for discussion. People might ask if for discussion, why not the reddit or somewhere else, but for me, when i open a ds and i just wanna to play it and hassle for me to look at the ds and at the same time needed to look at the pc/laptop XD
I would say it's a bad move to kill the miiverse off (of course only my opinion)

Back