• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Miiverse is being killed off - your thoughts?

[...]

I'm rather sad Nintendo's getting rid of the Wii U and even 3DS' online features this quickly. The original DS and Wii's online services lasted about 8 years. Imagine how long the online features on the 3DS and Wii U will last... already various features have been gone for a while. Only the basic online multiplayer in games like Mario Kart 7 and ACNL seem to be still up.

Yeah. It's something I noticed long ago, but few people would agree with me. This is harsher than simply phasing a console out for next gen. One thing that really bothers me is, the switch online launch next year is the *perfect* excuse for them to at least tamper with the rest of what we have. They're going out of their way to bury Wii U.

Were you aware of the implications that the online services on gaming console bear? While having them available forever seems ideal on the consumer side, it simply isn't practical for the companies to do so.

The thing is, every online functionality has to access to the server(s) sitting somewhere in the company's HQ. Getting these bulky machines running properly isn't just a matter on investing on a beefier computer than average, plugging wires in a correct manner, programming some software to adapt their needs and call it a day. You also have to maintain these contraptions for years, which have you invest money, time and space.

As time goes on, these servers will be less and less solicited. The longer they operate, the more the returns diminishes, all while the responsibility remains unchanged. As they add more servers for each of their new gaming console, keeping the older ones up would only raise the burden for the company. I'll leave you guessing where this'll leads.

Should Nintendo discontinue a platform and shut down all of its associated online service, they never get rid of the ability to play the games you've already physically and digitally owned. After all, the most important aspect about any game console is simply being able to play the games on it in first place, right?

Really upset.
Miiverse was my childhood, I started going on it when I was ten and it was the cringiest but best part of my life. My original account was lit.
I'm more upset that Giga Gamby's channel is definitely going to see a decline as his videos used to focus mainly on Miiverse.

Yes, I know about the consequences, but I still think the services are being shut down a little too early. A good chunk of the Wii U and 3DS features were shut down before the Switch was even properly announced.

I still think Miiverse was a great thing though, people there could be helpful when it came to game advice, and it could have lots of funny and ridiculous posts, which were often removed by the admins. I still miss it...

I don‘t really care. The only thing bothering me about this is that the only official way to take screenshots in most 3DS/Wii U games goes down with it. They are basically begging their users to use homebrew, which I find hilarious.

Last edited:
Eh. I prepared for MV ending, so I'm not completely devastated or anything, but, it's still quite the loss.
Though it could be argued that it truly died with the dedesign.

:p Homebrew does sound a bit nice, but I think I'd try it with Wii before Wii U.

Back