Do strangers often strike a conversation with you?

Do strangers often chat with you?

• Yes

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

Oldcatlady

A young cat lady
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Plum Blossom
Fortune Cookie
Holiday Candy Cane 2023
Peach (Fruit)
Spring Sakura
Nightmare Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Peach (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
I've actually been wondering about this recently. I'm Chinese but has been living in Canada since I was very young so my Chinese is not very good. However I feel like I attract a lot of Chinese elderlies who love to start a conversation with me when they see me in public even though I always have earbuds on lol. Then we talk for like 15 mins or so while waiting for the bus or going to the same place. It's probably happened about three times in the past two months. I think I look like the typical nice and shy girl so they find me very approachable?

Anyway, do strangers often go up to you and chat with you?

Nobody has ever approached me ever. I can't really think why, but it just doesn't happen for me.

Closest thing I've had is a catcall, if that counts. It was gross.

Aw. I think that's sorta sweet.

And yeah. When I used to take the train I had varied ages of strangers strike a conversation. Then when I've lived in the city, same thing. I don't mind it but I'm always surprised.

I always get mistaken as Hispanic and I'll get people trying to converse in Spanish to me.

I'm phillipino, which sucks, so I barely know anyone. I'm widely known by my previous 8th grade classmates (I'm 9th) Otherwise, I tend to stay away from everyone unless I really have to. Its quiet, thankfully, but it gets a little lonely sometimes

Never. I think I look too unfriendly or intimidating to strike a conversation with haha. Sometimes I get asked for directions but that's it.

Not really, usually when I'm in the grocery store or something, I would sometimes have a short conversation with the cashier. Also, sometimes when something big is happening (like bad weather) I'll notice complete strangers talking to each other saying something like "Wow, what weather we're having!". Other than that, I can't remember having conversations with strangers.

All the time. I think because I smile a lot by default. It can be nice or it can be really annoying. Annoying when it's guys.

I get a fair amount of guys striking up conversations with me, even though I rather be left alone u__u I also get a lot of tourists who ask for directions as well LOL (but I am god awful with directions though... those poor souls..). I also get my fair share of Asian eldies who likes to chat here and there. I find them quite cute though aha ; v; I also work in a job that deals with a lot of people so I do get chatted up while working as well. But it's usually small talks and polite conversations like the "how are you doing today" sort so it's not bad.

Only drunks and beggars. i prefer the latter cause they don't smell and don't bother you too much anyways.

I dont usually put my self in situations where strangers can talk to me and despite that it still happens rather often. its usually the old folk who want to talk and they talk just like those older relatives at thanksgiving you havent seen for months.

"what school you go to?"
"what do you plan to do in the future?"
"When are you gonna get yourself a boyfriend?"
blahblah

i only feel annoyed when certain types of people come and talk to me. like certain types of guys and girls around my own age that kinda give off an ulterior motive vibe. lol i dont trust them. but i love it when girls around my age who seem gentle and pure hearted approach me for conversation. i really do feel at ease with those types, i dont have to feel guarded around them.

Sometimes it happens, usually when I'm stopped to pump gas, my car is pretty rare.

But usually I strike up conversations with people while we wait, or I help people carry stuff.

last time some random stranger tried to talk to me directly for anything other than, like, asking for directions or whatever was in summer 2015 when a woman came up to me and asked "do you think you are going to heaven or hell after you die?" in english which was a bit weird because i live in sweden. i sauid i don't believe in heaven or hell and then i left really quickly ;w;

no it's never happened unless the person is asking for directions
idk if i'm giving of a serious "dont talk to me" vibe or over here people just keep to themselves

No and I am very grateful for it. Social anxiety is not fun and if I didn't have to deal with it I'd probably talk to strangers all the time, given they seem friendly enough and look like they want to be spoken to.

Nope, never happened to me, although I'm sure me being a minor is at least a part of the reason why it does not happen.

As kid, not much since I was the quiet one.
As a teen, a little bit (everyone said I was approachable, which makes me want to panic -antisocial- but still nice to know)
As an adult, in the area I'm in, you won't survive without a mean mug on. I'm not joking. So sadly not very much anymore unless I'm away.
Plus on top of stress, it's hard to hide it now lol

Last edited:
Nope! I have intense RBF so I am usually left alone by strangers which is fine with me. My sis has the opposite problem, strangers are constantly talking to her...

Back