• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

is tumblr annoying for anyone else?

the thing i like about tumblr is the type of content you can control. you see whatever you want to see. so it never made sense for people to complain about sjw/feminist stuff on their feed when they literally clicked "follow" on people who posts that stuff.

there are plenty of blogs out there thats nothing to do with politics/discourse/ typical tumblr stuff. those who cry about it are simply following the wrong people (or just want to complain and feel helpless about it. i know the general tumblr hate is a huge trend.) blocking and blacklisting is a thing. so is the unfollow button.

i personally use my tumblr as an art blog and i follow alot of studyblrs, travel blogs, animal blogs, and other artist blogs, along with sims 4 cc, comics, and lots of resources. and filter out any users i notice that post alot of social discourse/fandom drama/ship wars. and bam.
my feed is clean and just the way i like it.

Last edited:
I don't really use it anymore, but I still have my blog. I usually read true crime or look at Animal Crossing/Pokemon/Nintendo in general/aesthetic/TV show content. I never really talk to anyone else, add to posts, make posts, etc. I normally just reblog and favourite to avoid the drama.

Last edited:
i don't really feel safe there for personal reasons i don't want to get into :(
it's a platform though so it can't be completely good or bad, but if you find yourself in the wrong corner things get a bit rough

Last edited:
I mean it can be fun and educational at times but it can also be really stressful and bad too

Tagging has never really bothered me though I honestly find tagging posts weirdly therapeutic at time

It's a mixed bag for me.

The staff are horrible when it comes to moderation and fixing their site layout, and they refuse to listen to the thousands of people who constantly tell them to fix things and do their job, first of all. Like, that's a pretty big problem.

There's also a lot of discourse that's pretty dumb, like ace discourse for one, that's all dumb and is majorly a Tumblr thing for a reason. Hella fandoms are just overall toxic, too.

Then again, there is some good stuff, like I've got friends on there and I know there's been people who have gotten pretty popular with their art from that site, so that's definitely something.

Call out culture and stuff doesn't really bother me, because I see it as it's not entirely a horrible thing if done right, y'know. Like if it's not something dug up from three years ago on a person when they've totally changed their views and grown up by that point.

"SJWs" don't bother me either, since that's mostly a weak label at this point and most of the time people called that are just people who speak on things that stray away from the status quo and such. Also, many Tumblr users in these circles are kids or teenagers, and you can't always expect someone from that area to know all the ins and outs of every social justice thing of the last century or so.

Whatever works for people though, I'm just stating some probably unpopular opinions here.

It's a mixed bag for me.

The staff are horrible when it comes to moderation and fixing their site layout, and they refuse to listen to the thousands of people who constantly tell them to fix things and do their job, first of all. Like, that's a pretty big problem.

There's also a lot of discourse that's pretty dumb, like ace discourse for one, that's all dumb and is majorly a Tumblr thing for a reason. Hella fandoms are just overall toxic, too.

Then again, there is some good stuff, like I've got friends on there and I know there's been people who have gotten pretty popular with their art from that site, so that's definitely something.

Call out culture and stuff doesn't really bother me, because I see it as it's not entirely a horrible thing if done right, y'know. Like if it's not something dug up from three years ago on a person when they've totally changed their views and grown up by that point.

"SJWs" don't bother me either, since that's mostly a weak label at this point and most of the time people called that are just people who speak on things that stray away from the status quo and such. Also, many Tumblr users in these circles are kids or teenagers, and you can't always expect someone from that area to know all the ins and outs of every social justice thing of the last century or so.

Whatever works for people though, I'm just stating some probably unpopular opinions here.

i agree with everything you said ^^^

There's a lot of cool fandom stuff in Tumblr that's hard to find anywhere else, so I check up on it from time to time. There are a lot of politics to wade through though, and a bunch of it is pretty preachy or aggressive, so using a tag blocker can help a bunch. I don't really do anything other than lurk on there, lol.

uhmm, it's actually not that confusing for me. i'm not exactly on the fandoms part soo it's not cancer... i've met some really nice people on there and it's more of a comfort or space for me than anything. the community is rough though and i see people getting "exposed" or getting tons of hate for making/reblogging an offensive joke.

Last edited:
it's unuseable w/o xkit lol
and they kessed up the mobile app Again hsfsfhdhj

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's a mixed bag for me.

imo callout culture sucks, like, it's not bad if it is done properly and w good reasons but the way ppl collect stuff someone says out of context to be able to write a post saying "this person is terrible, everyone should hste them uwu" is rly uhhh Problematic. it's better to try to solve stuff instead of starting drama but thr drama loving part of tumblr is strong lmao

yeah sjw means anything from "i think people should treat others well" 2 radfems who want 2 murder people whp r more privileged than them.

-
also another thing !!!!!! kin drama and kin discourse is the worst, especially when it involves mental illness lmao ive literally seen people claiming that they are traumatized from stuff that happened to one of their kins... and then call someone out for being thrir abuser because they id as a character the first person's kin is in a fight w dfdgjfhkt i hate all drama and discourse on tumblr

I usually just go on there to reblog pretty stuff from time to time. It's not really one of the social medias I make a priority to check first thing, so I don't really notice all the changes that go on within tumblr. Since I use my tumblr mostly for reblogging other stuff that isn't my own, I don't bother hashtagging it or anything. I'm not really part of any communities or anything like that so I don't witness the toxic/annoying side of it, I guess.

I use it to look at funnies and animal pictures and that's it. Some of the people on there are just insufferable, but annoying people exist on every site. They're just louder on Tumblr I guess.

i use tumblr to look for fashion, artists and profile pictures, so im not a part of the community really
i usually keep safe search on because its so easy to stumble upon "those kinds of things" haha
sometimes i see nasty things on there from people on the left and the right, i guess they like to express their opinions without presented conflict in the real world

I used to use tumblr so much I even made anime gifs and stuff :)

only go on it occasionally when I'm super bored now

imo callout culture sucks, like, it's not bad if it is done properly and w good reasons but the way ppl collect stuff someone says out of context to be able to write a post saying "this person is terrible, everyone should hste them uwu" is rly uhhh Problematic. it's better to try to solve stuff instead of starting drama but thr drama loving part of tumblr is strong lmao

Pretty much agree, like I'm all for actual criticism of callout culture, which would be something like "We shouldn't hold minor grievances and major offenses on the same level all the time and expect people to be entirely non-problematic and accept the idea that they can change if we give them room to grow and not attack them full on," and what wouldn't be is something like "Wow, I got called out for having a child pron stash on my computer and engaging on pedo sites people are so mean to me I hate callout culture : (((" but people are blurring the lines a lot there to where people can't distinguish one from the other a lot of the time so. I dunno. ?\_(ツ)_/?
yeah sjw means anything from "i think people should treat others well" 2 radfems who want 2 murder people whp r more privileged than them.

Exactly, yeah. Like radfems and TERFs and all of that can choke no question, but of course anyone(or most people, whatever) who brings up "le sjws" never talks about the actual issues in the whole social justice community/movement, like racism or certain parts of the LGBT+ community that wanna like exterminate a whole group out of the community(i.e. TERFs and "gender critical" people in the community who claim trans and nonbinary people existing is "appropriating gay culture") but y'know.

also another thing !!!!!! kin drama and kin discourse is the worst, especially when it involves mental illness lmao ive literally seen people claiming that they are traumatized from stuff that happened to one of their kins... and then call someone out for being thrir abuser because they id as a character the first person's kin is in a fight w dfdgjfhkt i hate all drama and discourse on tumblr

Kin drama is hell, lmao, being a part of that sort of community I know it too well. Like, personally I think it's fine as a concept and to do it and all but like... don't get angry and try to start sh-t at people because they have like, a kin that's an enemy to yours or something like obviously not everyone's personally is going to correlate with their kin's personality first of all, and second of all that's... literally just childish behavior? I dunno the kin community is hell and people call the wrong people problematic for the wrong reasons and it's all a pit.

And arguably the worst are brought out in the amino community where I looked into that for like, a month or so and there was so much drama and the mods were mostly sucky and were completely fine with racists and transphobes and homophobes being there because ~uwu tolerance~ uuugh.

That's all just my experience too, though.

Last edited:
Yeah it bugs me. One of my pet peeves is when people post a picture with a meaningless quote like "not all who wander are lost" it bugs me so much when people do that for some reason. But the Denny's Tumblr is all worth it.

i'm familiar with callout posts on another website, google+
in my opinion it was worse since we were such a small community and everyone either knew or had heard of eachother, once you were exposed no one was on your side
it was usually big with followers vs small with followers, people called out weren't very popular
it's only worse to me because i was a part of that hellhole at some point
with tumblr i guess it's worse because it's directed towards people who don't agree on things, and they get called out and get their words twisted to expose them
that's what my sister tells me anyway, she sees a lot of posts like that and obviously hates how people conduct themselves in this way

Last edited:
i'm familiar with callout posts on another website, google+
in my opinion it was worse since we were such a small community and everyone either knew or had heard of eachother, once you were exposed no one was on your side
it was usually big with followers vs small with followers, people called out weren't very popular
it's only worse to me because i was a part of that hellhole at some point
with tumblr i guess it's worse because it's directed towards people who don't agree on things, and they get called out and get their words twisted to expose them
that's what my sister tells me anyway, she sees a lot of posts like that and obviously hates how people conduct themselves in this way
what dimension are we in

I like xkit for tagging, it was especially helpful when I had my photography blog, I made "category" tags so I could just click the few that applied to each picture and only have to add in the specifics. it really is a pain tagging stuff, and it's a shame that if you don't you wont really get views/follows.

The community I could take or leave, there's people I love on there but there's a lot of awful people there too. Even though I mostly follow reptile/animal blogs and stimmy blogs there's still so much DRAMA!

Back