If you saw it, what'd you think of the new Death Note Netflix movie?

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
7046-6089-3415
So if you guys watched it, what'd you think of the new Death Note Netflix movie?
I expected worse tbh. I did really like it though. It was dumbed down for the masses and newcomers, but in its own right it was still a damn good movie.
The fact that they changed L from being calm and collected to being an angry lil smolbean worked well with the plot. It reminded me a lot of Shakespeare's Macbeth. I'm glad they skipped out on Mello and Near being in it because tbh that would've made it too compacted (the story). They should've at least mentioned them.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear it's good, maybe I'll convince my boyfriend to watch it with me soon. He's the weeb of the relationship but I don't know if he ever watched Death Note.

I'm glad to hear it's good, maybe I'll convince my boyfriend to watch it with me soon. He's the weeb of the relationship but I don't know if he ever watched Death Note.

You don't have to have watched Death Note to like it. It's got a bit of a twist ending (no spoilers here!), which is a callback to the anime and manga's ending. It's very American-esque and you can tell it's based in a city situated in America. It's also definitely for adults hahah.
I just wish they didn't romanticise it so much.

. I'm glad they skipped out on Mello and Near being in it

Oh wow they did? Uhm.. Near had a p big role but sure if they want to do it for newbie weebs, fine...

Not making me wanna see it though, sigh. I really liked the manga because it was complex but eh.

Last edited:
Mello and Near weren't in the Japanese live action films either.

Really? Haven't seen them but seem weird they would skip them out there too to be honest, I think it's a bit too much stray away from unless they really want to just introduce it/series... Tbh it would probably do better as a mini-series but yeah dunno. Always a bit fishy about such adaptions.

Last edited:
It was better than I expected. I think L's character was a lot more realistic than the character in the manga. That being said, I'm not sure how to feel about the American version of Light. Maybe it would help if I thought of him as separate entity from Light Yagami?
Anyway, good movie, but it did have one major plot hole. At least, if you're going buy what the manga said, it was a major plot hole.

its pretty bad, but good-bad?

1- the name Light was extremely UNfitting for an americanised remake, especially if he has some lame western surname like Turner.
2- ryuk was kinda ugly and i noticed at times it looked like his mouth didn't move when he spoke
3- i dont get why they made L black

redeeming qualities
1- saw boobs
2- L was the only good character
3- gore

- - - Post Merge - - -

also light's character was just... no. light, in the manga and anime, was cold and pretty chill personality-wise. and then this happens

Last edited:
its pretty bad, but good-bad?

1- the name Light was extremely UNfitting for an americanised remake, especially if he has some lame western surname like Turner.
2- ryuk was kinda ugly and i noticed at times it looked like his mouth didn't move when he spoke
3- i dont get why they made L black

redeeming qualities
1- saw boobs
2- L was the only good character
3- gore

- - - Post Merge - - -

also light's character was just... no. light, in the manga and anime, was cold and pretty chill personality-wise. and then this happens

To be just, it's set in America. America is more multicultural than Japan (hence the possible reason L is black besides SJWs).

Now that I've thought about it more critically, I think it would've worked better as a mini series. It felt way too rushed.

Last edited:
stock-photo-crazy-cheerful-young-man-put-gun-to-temple-and-laughing-483070243.jpg

To be just, it's set in America. America is more multicultural than Japan (hence the possible reason L is black besides SJWs).

Now that I've thought about it more critically, I think it would've worked better as a mini series. It felt way too rushed.

An article I read on FB was saying the same thing, but the movie is already in talks for a sequel as the creater of the movie, expected it to be a multi-movie project.
On the plus side, more people are watching the anime. But also a lot of people are hating on otaku for having high expectations.

Back