• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Question about online play...

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
(...This is probably a very stupid question but I have to make sure before I decide to purchase the game.)

New Leaf has gotten a little bit stale after having it for so long, and I've never played WW but since it's very similar to City Folk with the perk of being portable, I thought I'd pick it up soon.

I know online play over the DS ceased in 2014, but what if you play it on a 3DS? Would it still be affected since it's a DS game or would that not even matter so long as the person you play with also has a 3DS?

I've read that you need a friend in order to upgrade to Nookingtons and if I couldn't do that it would be a huge downside to the game.

Thank you!

Nope. Unless you hack your DS, online play is impossible for all DS games, even if you play them on a 3DS.

Local play still works, however, so you can earn Nookingtons that way.

(Or get lucky like me and get a used copy that has a save file with Nookingtons on it.)

Regardless of device, online play can only be achieved if you use a flashcard (or emulator) and do some stuff in order to use an unofficial server. There are guides and someone here can probably point you in the right direction.

Nookingtons can still be unlocked via local play - I just got a friend to download Wild World and connect from a flashcard. Time travelling (changing the time in-game or setting the system clock to a time before when you last played) can sometimes cause the shop to downgrade, so watch out for that.

Regardless of device, online play can only be achieved if you use a flashcard (or emulator) and do some stuff in order to use an unofficial server. There are guides and someone here can probably point you in the right direction.

Nookingtons can still be unlocked via local play - I just got a friend to download Wild World and connect from a flashcard. Time travelling (changing the time in-game or setting the system clock to a time before when you last played) can sometimes cause the shop to downgrade, so watch out for that.

Back