• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Have you ever felt like if you were to die it wouldn't make a difference?

Too be honest I doubt anyone would even notice that I'm gone, hopefully it won't be much longer.

No, not at all. I understand that depression can be a horrible part in anyone's life, but commuting suicide is an incredibly selfish solution to a temporary problem. If I died, sure things would become easier to pay for since my parents wouldn't need to deal with my medical costs, but it would break their hearts forever. Even if you don't think anyone cares about you, your death would affect someone even if you don't realize it.

what i dont get about this "suicide is selfish" thing is that.....l ike....... if it's selfish to die so other people wont suffer...... isnt it also selfish to force someone to stay alive and keep suffering so you won't b sad urself? imo it's just a really stupid thing to tell someone who's suicidal that they're being selfish like Yeah My Dude youre right everyone who is mentally ill and suicidal is a selfish *******.

if someone is at a point where they think being dead would be better than staying alive they're probably not feeling very great. obviously it sucks that people have to go through losing someone close to them to suicide but you can't blame the suicidal person, they are/were the one affected the most.

haha anyways i hate most types of common suicide prevention (/things people say or do to stop someone from killing themself idk lol) because in my opinion it focuses on the wrong things. i understand that people have to be like "suicide is never an option" but Yeah No I Do Not Like It

It'll make a difference to your family.
Your family and friends would be heartbroken. I couldn't even imagine how terrible that must be.
Sadly, mental health isn't taken too seriously, there's still a long way to go. Unfortunately, veteran suicide rates are incredibly high, no one deserves to have to deal with that.

It would make a difference. Probably more than you could ever imagine.

This will probably be a controversial suggestion, as there are a loud group of people who believe it promotes suicide (I was even told not to watch it as people thought the self-harm and sexually abusive scenes would "trigger" me), but I'd suggest reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher or watching the (in some places graphic) television adaptation. I found it to be the most relatable piece of media I've ever come across on depression: showing that there are other people out there that understand what depression can really feel like and showcasing the impact of one person's death even on people who barely knew the girl who commit suicide. I've had long discussions with people with similar pasts and they also agree it can be a therapeutic and sobering watch/read.

Wow, dark thread.

We're all going to die and anything you do will be lost when the sun goes, likely long before then, but you may as well make the most of what time you have.

It's just like when I'm at work. We deal with sickness benefits where people are too ill to work and my supervisor and colleagues constantly make fun of people who have a mental illness especially those who claim to be suicidsl.

It always makes me feel even worse when I'm depressed and thinking about ending my life.
I always imagining telling them to shut up as they don't have a clue what they're talking about and how bad it must be for someone who thinks that suicide is their only option.
Sadly even today there is still a stigma attached to mental illness with some people not even believing it's a genuine illness.

If you're really struggling with this, you should seek help. I don't think it's selfish to have such thoughts, but it might help to remember that some people do care for you, that life is (probably) a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and that there are people who are dying and who would give anything to live. There are truly very few people whose deaths would make no difference (I don't think you're one of them, given what you've said about your brother and your friend).

I'm not a therapist, but I've dealt with depression in the past. My mindset was different from yours though, because throughout I was aware that I did matter to a number of people, and I was guilty about letting them down.

My mom thinks my suicidal thoughts are selfish...when I first revealed them months ago all she said was "I did everything for you, why do you act like this you selfish **** stupid princess" nobody understands how I actually feel they all think I'm selfish. If I did suicide they would think the reason was me being selfish. I don't understand why people think it's because of selfishness, something wrong could be happening inside and nobody would think about that first.
isn't your mom the selfish one she wants you to suffer and she wants a version of you that isnt there

Please don't call her selfish :( she works and does chores in the house from morning to night every day, and is struggling 10 times more because of my baby brother. She is better than most moms so I understand how I'm selfish....:(

Hun, you're not selfish. From everything I've seen of you, you are anything but. And from everything I've heard about your family, I don't think anyone there is selfish.

Yes but don't say it out loud, especially in a doctors' office. That's how you end up in the psych ward.

My depression an anxiety stop me in my tracks. Only thing that stops me from committing is because 1. i'm a straight up coward about everything (even the "coward's way out" 2. putting people above me and/or helping people gives me a reason to live.

I love my parents but i feel like i'm the runt of the family, they never asked for a daughter like me. They wanted me to go to school go to college and uni, get a good job instead i am weak and i show them up. They are ashamed of me. Everything stops me in my tracks. I am self aware of what i do but i am so lost or stuck i just let it happen. I even noticed i take these "pity me" time outs..when i pity myself and it can last more than 6 months before someone upsets me with harsh things and i pull myself together and show myself and everyone else i can do it.

Professionals dropped me because i am a waste of space because i wouldn't open my mouth. I was just a problem child in everyone's eyes. A waste of space and life is pretty much what i am. I have been told this and i feel this everyday so its fine, i come to terms with it.

Would people miss me when i am gone? I like to think so but sometimes i do wonder how it will impact their lives.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yes but don't say it out loud, especially in a doctors' office. That's how you end up in the psych ward.

Why i didnt open my mouth...or want to go to the doctors about it or anything...so i deal with it on my own.

only ppl i know would be diff who cares lol u dont need more than that

If you haven't, please talk to someone.

A guy I'm interested had suicidal thoughts one night. He called the police.

He was in a psych ward for a week.

He's better now. He has ups and downs but not with those thoughts.

When I die no one will even notice except my family.
I know all about being at your lowest point and wanting to just go to sleep and never wake up.

To be honest my biggest fear is ending up in a psych ward which is why I refuse to talk about it when I feel like I'd be better of dead.

Sometimes I just feel like it's just a too cold and cruel world nowadays where no one cares about anything but themselves.

To anyone who's had suicidal thoughts, please know that they are not uncommon. It's a taboo subject, but more people than you might think struggle with them.

Contemplating the subject is also not the same as wanting to go through with it; doctors won't send you to a psych ward for thoughts - you would have to show clear intent about wanting to take your life for them to make such a decision.

Please consider opening up to a professional so that you can at least ease the burden of keeping a secret and receive the treatment and medication you deserve <3

I've had suicidal thoughts in the past. My dad and 2 brothers called me annoying, useless, selfish, and a thief. One of my brothers wish I was never born...

Now, my dad doesnt really care anymore besides keeping the house afloat. My brother is always a pain in the ass, and the other went to Arizona University. Life's okay, but my dad and brother constantly try to tell me to face reality. I am, they just dont realize it

Back on topic, if I were to die....

My entire family would be devastated. I've usually been known as a good kid all around, but the people I live with do not.

I still have savings in my account, my grandma puts in 100$ per month. If I were to die, she would probably give the savings to my aunt's two twins, or my lil-half brother.
What else... Probably half the school i go to wouldn't care, since I'm mostly a loner
My dad would probably start drinking, or just play video games all day. He does that sometimes, but never that much violent.
My older brother would probably regret treating me the way he is now.

For those out there, your not alone.

Back