• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Panic Attacks

I don't know if I have glossophobia (fear of speaking) but similar to what tifachu said, one time I was presenting and I was doing fine but then I spaced out and ended up walking straight towards my teacher and I was hyperventilating/crying because I couldn't breath and calm down. It's better now but when I sit down after a presentation I will cry for a little bit because I just get so nervous.

I have pretty bad panic and anxiety, and tbh it's only getting worse.

Some of you may have heard me talking about a situation in my dorm; that situation has actually made my anxiety so bad, that even the thought of having to confront my disgusting roommate or having to go back in that room sets me up for an anxiety attack.

I've never have a really bad one, they've all been pretty mild, but I have a bad feeling I'm rearing up for one. It makes me really nervous, that's why I'm trying to get help as soon as possible.

I tend to have Panic Attacks a ton mostly from worrying on having a certain illness or someone else I'm close to having it. :(
Recently I've been experiencing more of these and it's preventing me from going to school and sleeping well.

I don't have them all too often thankfully, only under certain circumstances. And they range from really mild where I'm just kind of "turned off" like you described, the frozen kind. Those to me are the mild one. My extreme ones I am flapping and vibrating and hyperventilating, and those usually only happen when I have a panic attack in a super crowded place, so it just makes it so much worse because I'm claustrophobic, and since I'm making a scene I get embarrassed which makes it worse and yeah... not a good time, last time I did that was in the subway in San Francisco with my friends, they had to make like a protective circle around me because I couldn't handle it...

thank you so much for this thread! it's reassuring to know that other people here go through the same thing (ik it's obvious that at somebody's most likely going to, since this forum's rather large) and whilst I don't suffer anxiety or panic attacks as much as some of the posters in this thread, i feel glad that I can relate to people here.

my parents both suffer from anxiety and i'm a naturally shy person, so anxiety is something i suffer from quite often. unfortunately i have to say no to a lot of social events after previously agreeing to them because my anxiety makes me feel extremely vulnerable and frightened to leave the house. whilst i feel really guilty about it because i really really really don't want to let people down (though most of the time people are really chill with it, i just have an irrational fear of displeasing people), my mum always tells me that if you're not up to it, then you're not up to it, and you shouldn't force yourself to do it (if it's possible to get out of it) because then you'll just feel worse.

i sometimes get them before having to attend school, which sucks, though sometimes i end up being able to stay home because it's just far too terrifying to have to even think about having to interact with people some days. however, i'd like to be able to become more confident, and try and keep going and attend school rather than having to skip because it's usually not that bad in the end if i can muster up the courage to be there c:

All the time, mostly from bad news, violence witnessed first hand, and especially cars and car crashes which is why i can't drive. I can't even sit in the driver's seat and start my car without losing the ability to think straight or breathe. Paired with manic bipolar it makes a horrible thing because like you said, i get snappy without thinking until after ive already been mean about how i shouldn't have acted that way

I think I do suffer from panic attacks. I wasn't sure at first because I don't suffer a lot of the same symptoms that I usually see people mention, but after looking up a panic attack symptom checklist, I definitely do. The big symptoms I get are usually racing heart, chills, dissociation and/or derealization, fear of losing control, and fear of dying. I think the worst one I got was on the election night a few months ago (not American elections), although funnily enough it wasn't triggered by politics, that's just a weird coincidence. Although I unfortunately wasn't able to vote largely because of the attack.

I'm trying to get into therapy but as of right now most of my "coping" with panic attacks is just living a very avoidant lifestyle so I can hopefully avoid triggering too many panic attacks. I don't get involved in politics because I start getting really high anxiety while reading about it, I don't have many friends because I find social interaction anxiety-inducing, I don't leave the house much because I 1. have sensory issues and don't like the sweating that normally comes with the amount of exercise required to leave the house and 2. have a contamination phobia and find it hard to navigate stuff like touching public surfaces or watching how often I see people spit or things like that, and I honestly kind of neglect to take care of my physical health because of the level of anxiety I get in medical settings. It's honestly kind of a depressing life at times to be basically always treating myself like I'm made of glass, but the alternative right now is falling apart completely, I tend to start spiraling really hardcore if I have too many panic attacks. I just really hope I can get into therapy soon.

Ably.Saucey said:
You are not awake enough to move, you are frozen, yet you are awake enough to be aware of your self.
Your heart is going like you just sprinted up hill, and it's not slowing down.
You can't hardly breath, your chest is tight, you're dizzy.
You are terrified and you don't know why.
You're not able to wake up.

I've had chronic anxiety since I was 17. What you described isn't anxiety.

You were in a hypnagogic state.

Hypnagogia is the experience of the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep in humans: the hypnagogic state of consciousness, during the onset of sleep. Mental phenomena that occur during this “threshold consciousness” phase include lucid thought, lucid dreaming, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis.

I've had Hypnagogia many times, and it can be terrifying, yet it isn't anxiety.

With anxiety, you are awake, and it can last for days.

I have different levels of it and medication doesn't do much other than partially normalize things, as over the years the effectiveness becomes lessened.

It's a way of life.
I just wake up and find something positive to get me through.

Some days it's like fighting to breathe, and others it stays under the surface, and I can get through the day.

I do get through it though. :)

Last edited:
I do not expect to understand fully how you feel- as panic/anxiety can be different for every individual- but I understand you on a certain level. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Thank you for creating this thread!

Last edited:
I have both anxiety and panic attacks.

My anxiety attacks usually come on whenever I have to socialize, deal with strangers, speak in public, train someone, or anything of that sort. When I have my anxiety attacks, I sweat profusely regardless of how cold I may be. I'm very cold-natured so it's quite rare for me to sweat at all, but during an anxiety attack, I will soak straight through my clothes, which only makes me more embarrassed and increases my anxiety. I also struggle to speak. I get lumps in my throat that make it difficult to talk and I often end up making strange, almost gargling noises that I can't control. My only way of dealing with these attacks and getting through them is to practice whatever I need to say in my head to the point where I can do it automatically without thinking, because I will forget everything once I start. Then, I focus on one thing that doesn't make me anxious, like a clock in the back of the room or a painting on the wall and just stumble through until I'm done.

My panic attacks come on without apparent triggers sometimes and they are much worse than the anxiety attacks. When I have a panic attack, I feel trapped and I suddenly feel certain that I'm going to die even though there's nothing particularly dangerous happening. I usually feel like I'm going to suffocate and when I have panic attacks, I do in fact have extreme difficulty breathing. My chest tightens and I feel like I'm not taking in enough air. My heart races and sometimes my chest begins hurting really badly. The only way I've found to deal with panic attacks is to get away from whatever situation I'm in, usually by going outside. I need distance and space so I can regulate my breathing again. Once I can start to breathe normally, the other symptoms fade and I can get the attack under control.

I've had several panic attacks. It's quite frightening, especially because every onset has occurred at a totally random time where I am doing mundane things and not even currently in a stressful situation.

I tend to feel very cold, but yet I'm sweating and feel suffocated and hot by my clothing. My breathing also feels labored, my heart races, light becomes very bright and I start to get tunnel vision and that I feel I'm going to faint. Everything in my head/environment feels static-like and I truly cannot focus on anything else. The worst is when this occurs during work and I actually had this happen during meetings. This further worsens the panic in a panic attack because I'm paranoid that I'm going to pass out in front of everyone, or someone will ask me a question during this time.

It is debilitating when it happens but the best thing to do is just tell yourself that it's going to pass, because it always does.

I get them at random times, usually when im in a place with a lot of people or when I visit friends of other friends houses. The good thing is that it doesnt happen daily but it feels scary when it does. I actually get a physical and lab work done if it happens more than once in a week. I heard low sugar and low blood pressure can have similar symptons.

Back