• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Save data corrupted?

Laureline

Afk at Random
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
Spring Sakura
Ancient Candle
Purple Bat Potion
White Rose
Blue Hybrid Rose
Blue Candy
Purple Candy
Famous Mushroom
Sakura Easter Egg
So I went to load my first town and I got the save data corrupted. This is a non-hacked town and a physical cartridge. Is my town really gone?

Maybe the green chip parts on the back of the cartridge were scratched/broken? Is there any damage on the cartridge? Did you spill something on it/drop it?

Sometimes stuff like this happens randomly. I'm sorry you lost your town :(

Last edited:
After some research. My town is truly lost. I lost way too much to come back to this game.

25mil
600 clovers
200 purple roses
200 purple pansies
100 white carnations
15 purple tulips
Hundreds of items
Landscaping items
Full golden tool set
Pwp's
Perfect map

I'm just done.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Is it an old cartridge. Or is this town fairly new?

Old cartridge.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Maybe the green chip parts on the back of the cartridge were scratched/broken? Is there any damage on the cartridge? Did you spill something on it/drop it?

Sometimes stuff like this happens randomly. I'm sorry you lost your town :(

No damage to it and I've never spilled anything on it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's happened to many people randomly. I am sorry that this happened to you :(

However, you can use tbt to get the stuff you lost back from others here. Tbt is much easier to earn, so hopefully you can recover.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Is it an old cartridge. Or is this town fairly new?

Probably a old one, as people with the old one have courrpted a lot. I have the old one and have never corrupted, however.

Every ACNL player's worst nightmare! Except the ones that reset their town all the time, I guess. Assuming your town is using the Welcome Amiibo update, ensure that it's still installed on your SD card. Apart from that, there's nothing else we can do unless you have a hardmodded 3DS.

Yeah I could but I just don't want to. Truth is I've lost a lot of passion for the game. I only kept playing cause I had no other games to play. Haven't felt connected to my villagers for a long time, in both towns.

Maybe I'll change my mind but as of right now I'm quitting. Thanks for the condolences.

Every ACNL player's worst nightmare! Except the ones that reset their town all the time, I guess. Assuming your town is using the Welcome Amiibo update, ensure that it's still installed on your SD card. Apart from that, there's nothing else we can do unless you have a hardmodded 3DS.

How does hardmod help?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah I could but I just don't want to. Truth is I've lost a lot of passion for the game. I only kept playing cause I had no other games to play. Haven't felt connected to my villagers for a long time, in both towns.

Maybe I'll change my mind but as of right now I'm quitting. Thanks for the condolences.

Alright, hope to see you soon. Very sad that this had to happen to you.

Old cartridge.

That could be the reason why your data got corrupted. It could also be that it was used a lot. I'm not saying that old cartridges will corrupt so easily. It's just that older cartridges have a higher chance of being corrupted.

That could be the reason why your data got corrupted. It could also be that it was used a lot. I'm not saying that old cartridges will corrupt so easily. It's just that older cartridges have a higher chance of being corrupted.

I've used mine for almost 3,000 hours/times so I don't think that's the reason. Or I'm just one of the lucky ones?
I think the old cartridge gets corrupted more easily, though. They probably prevented random corrupting completely in the new version.

From what I've read, resetting too many times, time travelling too much, quitting while the game is saving, dropping the 3DS, taking the cartridge or SD card out while it's in use, and failing at the duplication glitch can all increase your chances of a data corruption. Did you happen to do any of these things? I'm not completely sure if resetting too much (like plot resetting) or TTing too much can increase your chances at corruption, though.

From what I've read, resetting too many times, time travelling too much, quitting while the game is saving, dropping the 3DS, taking the cartridge or SD card out while it's in use, and failing at the duplication glitch can all increase your chances of a data corruption. Did you happen to do any of these things? I'm not completely sure if resetting too much (like plot resetting) or TTing too much can increase your chances at corruption, though.
No. I've done lots of those things in the 4 years I've played this game, on the old cartridge, I have never corrupted.

I think resetting has a very small chance of corrupting your game, which is why Nintendo made resetti. Otherwise why would resetti exist? Obviously resetting has something to do with possibly damaging your town's data.

Last edited:
I think turning game off during the "save do not turn off" is probably the biggest culprit. I know one time my GBA battery died during a save on one of my Pokemon games, and it said save data corrupted. I did not lose my game save, it just acted like I had turned off without saving. I had only lost about 15 min of progress anyways because I usually save my Pokemon games every 15 min or so. Been doing that for over 10+ years.

No. I've done lots of those things in the 4 years I've played this game, on the old cartridge, I have never corrupted.

I think resetting has a very small chance of corrupting your game, which is why Nintendo made resetti. Otherwise why would resetti exist? Obviously resetting has something to do with possibly damaging your town's data.

The reason why they introduced Resetti is to discourage players from quitting without saving, then time traveling to the next day or the previous day just to see the shop stock.

So I went to load my first town and I got the save data corrupted. This is a non-hacked town and a physical cartridge. Is my town really gone?

I feel your pain as it happened to me earlier in the year, I had been playing it from the time it came out and had almost a full catalogue, was only 2 badges short of having full gold badges. I and 58 but still cried and cried, all that hard work....GONE. I wasn't for starting from scratch again, I had lost interest but a very special friend on here encouraged me to restart, she helped me so much with loads of items and I am happy again now. Good luck x

If TTing and resetting increase the chance of data being corrupted then why would they even exist? I am just wondering to be honest. x

Back