• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you support the removal of historical statues?

Do you support censoring parts of history?

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Ever since the Charlottesville attack, discussions of removing statues is now a hot topic. It all started with the removal of confederate statues, but now they're doing this with our presidents in the past. They even support taking down Mount Rushmore. The whole reason was to censor out all traces of racism and slavery.

Do you support this process, or are you against the censorship of our history?

My opinion:

I did start supporting the removal of Confederate icons from public view since I wanted the white nationalists to be punished, but when they're doing this to the presidents (George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt), this is when I can't follow anymore. Yes, Washigton and Jefferson owned slaves, but they are two of the first three presidents. The fact that they put their relations to slavery in front of everything else and use that excuse to remove them from public view is ridiculous. First, they didn't want Donald Trump to be included in the legacy of presidents. Now they want to wipe out the legacy altogether, at least the more famous members. If you want to remove all traces of slavery from the world, you might want to get rid of some famous historical sites that are popular. Plus, slavery played a very large role in our history, and it's not all racial either. Heck, slavery in the United States wasn't even supported for racial reasons. The South supported it because of agricultural reasons while the North opposed it because they see slaves as people rather than property. Even so, I am against slavery and would not defend it, but I wouldn't let ownership of slavery taint Washington's and Jefferson's legacy forever.

They also got to realize that if they want to stop honoring our founding fathers because of their relations to slavery, then they shouldn't honor the presidents they like more (i.e. Barack Obama). I felt that Obama did worse than everyone in the past, but would I be opposed to seeing people build a monument of Obama? My answer is no. Even if Obama was my least favorite president as I felt America has gotten worse under him, I believe statues of him is history. Censorship of history is cowardice, and each step of removing historical landmarks is another step towards a government like seen in the book 1984. Is this what they want? They can't change the past. Once something is done, it's stuck in the past forever, as some of these actions (even natural ones) may lead to an unchangeable future regardless of consequences, but the other actions wouldn't. The purpose of history is to tell people not to repeat the wrongs that has happened, and by censoring it, you're allowing it to be repeated.

I think they should be moved. Put them in a museum or something. Let new statues take their place. Put a local sculptor in a job.

Last edited:
removing confederate statues I can understand. Removing our other founding father's: no.

I don't think they need to be censored. Not all slaves were people of color. There were white slaves too. Lumping them all together into thinking that only colored people were suffering as slaves is too generalizing.

Last edited:
Not a chance! Everyone is just overly sensitive these days and it's super aggravating. We need to leave them as a reminder not of what we're proud of, but as a reminder of what we shouldn't do.

And if it came down to removing them I agree with Bowie in that they should be put into a museum of some sort.

Last edited:
The removal of historical statues isn't the same as censoring history.

I don't care if statues are removed, but just because they are, doesn't mean we aren't able to learn about the history. I'm pretty sure the subjects of said statues have been immortalized in books and elsewhere.

Actually I agree with

I think they should be moved. Put them in a museum or something. Let new statues take their place. Put a local sculptor in a job.

Removing historical statues =/= censoring history

they already censor/sugarcoat/downplay european colonization + nat. american genocide, african slavery, chinese miners/railroad slavery in any general us history textbooks and lessons. they either sugarcoat it or dont mention it at all.

white supremists look at these statues as symbolism of white power and racial superiority. and theyre proud of it to be out in the open. but they still dont want to be called what they are (racist/nazis) so they sugarcoat it call it their "culture, history, whatever"

removal of statues dont automatically mean censoring history. even with those statues there people before this whole thing even happened people still try to censor bad sides of american history back when there was a time in this country that most WS were indirect with their hatred.

We need to leave them as a reminder not of what we're proud of, but as a reminder of what we shouldn't do.

No you don't. There are 0 statues of Hitler in Germany and yet everyone's smart enough to kinda figure.

Anyways I don't care about statues of slave owners, screw em. You can learn about them without cheaply mass-produced oversized trophies.

Well, "historical" statues is a loaded question, because it could be interpreted to mean anything.

Let's be real here. These monuments were built in the late 1890s and the 1950/60s. They were built by Southerns who, once they realized that civil rights were going to be a thing, wanted to intimidate black people.

We should not have statues of Confederate leaders. These men who are honored in these statues are traitors to the country. It would be akin to people still honoring King George and putting up statues of him post-American Revolution.

There are four places that Confederate statues should stay up:

• Museums
  • Graveyards
  • Civil War battlegrounds
  • Private property

That's it. Town halls, courthouses and the like should not be honoring traitors. Down with Confederate participation trophies.

weren't most of the statues built in like the sixties anyways??

Yes.

I don't think they need to be censored. Not all slaves were people of color. There were white slaves too. Lumping them all together into thinking that only colored people were suffering as slaves is too generalizing.

White slavery was never, at any point in human history, anywhere close to the slavery of black people.

I don't think they're removing statues of Presidents.

- - - Post Merge - - -

No you don't. There are 0 statues of Hitler in Germany and yet everyone's smart enough to kinda figure.

Anyways I don't care about statues of slave owners, screw em. You can learn about them without cheaply mass-produced oversized trophies.

Participation trophies, yes.

Last edited:
unpopular opinion, i dont support it. engrave both sides of the story (to appease people lol) on the bottom of the statue and that's that. either that or take em to a museum

engrave both sides of the story (to appease people lol) on the bottom of the statue and that's that.

I kind of doubt people who aren't tourists would read those.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's funny you say this considering there are literally Nazi rallies happening in the US despite all those metal turds being up.

Back