• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you support the removal of historical statues?

Do you support censoring parts of history?

• Total voters
I didn't expect people to think Trump is related to this. But I was suggesting that because the majority of the people that hate the confederacy so much that they want to remove every icon related to the confederate states during the Civil War hated Donald Trump too. Having them choose whether they rather keep these confederate icons up or a Trump statue is like choosing to eat a food you hate or watch a show you hate when it has nothing to do with the food. Trump isn't making them hate the confederacy. They hated it even before Trump taken power. The decision happened during the Trump administration.

But Trump's presidency (namely his failure to condemn white supremacy) is reminding people of these times and is what gave them the instinctive to take action, like I said. It has very much to do with Trump since people are saying "Hey maybe don't be like this guy."

NO.
Slavery isn't by any means the worst sin this country has committed.
There were cruel and awful slave owners and there were slave owners that treated their people with kindness and respect.
PLUS the civil war wasn't ever about slavery, it was about states rights and people of all colors were on both sides.

Everyone's so sensitive now, so paranoid about being judged, that we can't even interact.
I DO NOT SUPPORT the removal of ANY historical landmarks at all! I DO NOT SUPPORT kids no longer being taught about great people because of a facet that's no longer acceptable. There were great, respectable people fighting on the confederacy's behalf, they're worth remembering!
THAT IS NOT SENSITIVITY. THAT IS CENSORSHIP.

Uh? Nobody is being sensitive here.
No slave owner represented their people with respect. BUYING a human being is disrespectful. NOT PAYING a human being without them volunteering is disrespectful. TAKING a human being from their home and BURNING their homes and villages to the ground is disrespectful. It doesn't matter how "good" the condition of a slave is - the slave was never treated with true kindness.

The statue you're so defensive over is a symbol of this disrespect. It is a symbol of a dark park of American history. It doesn't matter what the civil war was fought over, slavery was still a massive factor in it. Rather than destroying it, put it in a museum where future generations can learn from the mistakes represented by it so we don't repeat those mistakes.

fjdjsjzxkzj i didnt see that the poll question was different from the title lollllllll

i definitely support removing statues of historical ppl who suck. it's not censoring history, it is just being like "yeah this guy was awful and doesnt deserve a statue to honor him"
removing statues isnt censoring history, it's just removing statues of giant racists from public places

your poll is really not objective haha

Depends on the case, in my country there are statues and streets dedicated to the dictator Franco, so I support removing them. I'm pretty sure in Germany there aren't things like those praising Hitler.
Oh, and that isn't censoring history. If you want to learn history you go read a book, not watch a statue.

Last edited:
NO.
There were cruel and awful slave owners and there were slave owners that treated their people with kindness and respect.
PLUS the civil war wasn't ever about slavery, it was about states rights and people of all colors were on both sides.

Everyone's so sensitive now, so paranoid about being judged, that we can't even interact.
I DO NOT SUPPORT the removal of ANY historical landmarks at all! I DO NOT SUPPORT kids no longer being taught about great people because of a facet that's no longer acceptable. There were great, respectable people fighting on the confederacy's behalf, they're worth remembering!

not ALL slave owners uwu

it's not censorship to remove statues that honor crap people. theyre not going to be removed from history, this is just being like Yea No Racism Is Bad :/

removing monuments to the abhorrent parts of human history, isn't "censoring history", and nice accusation there

no, it was always about slavery. it's literally in the secession papers

and the confederacy banned blacks from enlisting until *just* before the war was over, so lmao @ the idea of black soldiers being even close to a notable factor in the confederate forces

- - - Post Merge - - -

"You tried" trophies at best

dirty gold star that says "you suck"

Last edited:
I can understand removing some parts of history, but seriously? The Founding Fathers? Nah, don't get rid of that. Or like Bowie said, put it in a museum. That way everyone's happy.

really doesnt matter if they tear em down, move em to a museum or keep em, its just some symbolism to rememebr a person/time/place that eventually will be irrelevant

If they are in the muesum or a gallery of some kind then they won't be vandalized and theh could still be admired by those who want to see them.

Problem solved.

Saying that the removal of those statues removes bits of history is ridiculous because it will still be there and there are text books everywhere if you want to see history. They have sentimental value in the locations they are at and that's understandable but surely people would like for the statues to be safe, if they cared about them that much.

Also most of those statues are of trash, disgusting pieces of garbage people but eh. =/

To answer the question:

I don't care. :lemon:

Last edited:
Mount Rushmore was made on sacred native land. **** Mount Rushmore.

On one hand, its extremely obnoxious to carve heads into the mountain. On the other hand, I could not care less if someone finds the land sacred.

- - - Post Merge - - -

NO.

They could have treated their slaves the nicest eay but they were STILL SLAVES. I don't care how nice they were treated. They were still slaves.

It waa about states rights, you are right. Specifically the right to own slaves.

I definitely agree that slavery is evil. It's more than about how they're treated or how racial it is. Ownership of other human beings, saying that it's property, is a human rights violation. It's both immoral and unethical. And people that supported it shouldn't get any honor. But if there's any other reason to remove confederate statues (not just because Robert E Lee didn't like them or that the white supremacists should be punished extra for the Charlottesville attack), it's because the people that placed them in the first place mounted them as an insult to African Americans, to claim that they are more superior.

If you think Washington and Jefferson should stop receiving honor because they owned slaves, I have to admit that all 45 of these guys have done horrible things, but I still think no president was as bad as Obama was. Still, if anyone wants to make an Obama monument, that's fine. Just don't destroy the monuments of the previous presidents.

tbh if this were last year than literally nobody would have cared about the monuments

the second their suggested to be destroyed people r like "we must save the confederacy!!!"

same thing happened with the confederate flag. literally nobody cared about it until it was suggested to be removed but the second people start to talk about it i see kids at my school start putting it on their trucks and porches.

and i don't understand how it's "censoring history" like the OP keeps saying that it is when there is textbooks and museums that show practically the exact same thing and edcates people on how it used to be

There are four places that Confederate statues should stay up:

• Museums
  • Graveyards
  • Civil War battlegrounds
  • Private property
yea.
the ones that are on public property should be moved to a museum

Maybe we should focus on actual issues rather than getting rid of a hunk of metal.

Maybe we should focus on actual issues rather than getting rid of a hunk of metal.

I agree. Americans are being pathetic. They care more about diversity out of PC, historic landmarks, and the whole gender debate rather than serious issues like healthcare, North Korea relations, and building a wall across our border.

I agree. Americans are being pathetic. They care more about diversity out of PC, historic landmarks, and the whole gender debate rather than serious issues like healthcare, North Korea relations, and building a wall across our border.

You can care about more than one issue at a time.

If what most people say is correct, that these were built in the 60's then yeah, I say just move' em in a museum. No biggie. To be perfectly honest though, I could care less what happens to them. Guess we'll see what happens?

It's one thing for them to be moved into a museum but they're not being voted on to move people are just ripping them down and vandalizing them which is not okay. People are acting like complete savages.

Removing from a public area & moving them to a proper & secure displayment such as museum -- yes.
The demolishment or vandalizaiton of -- no.

It doesn't matter to me who the statue is of or whatever. It's still an art piece.
vandalization can be stopped when removed and placed somewhere secure.

Back