• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you support the removal of historical statues?

Do you support censoring parts of history?

• Total voters
For me, honestly i do support the removal of certain statues celebrating the confederacy. I do NOT support them being vandalized. They should be moved to a graveyard or something along those lines because they shouldn't be out in public basically celebrating the confederacy, and that perticular statue wasnt made to be a historical monument.

I heard that the Charlottesville City Council has voted to shroud the Confederate statues. So they won't be destroyed, but they remain hidden from public view.

But a Columbus statue in Baltimore was vandalized. And guess who did it? A militant leftist. I wouldn't be surprised that the left wing would support vandalism after all this violence against Trump supporters and Republicans. It's not worth destroying works of art or hurting your opponents to express hatred towards Trump or other people you don't like.

I heard that the Charlottesville City Council has voted to shroud the Confederate statues. So they won't be destroyed, but they remain hidden from public view.

But a Columbus statue in Baltimore was vandalized. And guess who did it? A militant leftist. I wouldn't be surprised that the left wing would support vandalism after all this violence against Trump supporters and Republicans. It's not worth destroying works of art or hurting your opponents to express hatred towards Trump or other people you don't like.

Stop straw manning.

NO.
Slavery isn't by any means the worst sin this country has committed.
There were cruel and awful slave owners and there were slave owners that treated their people with kindness and respect.
PLUS the civil war wasn't ever about slavery, it was about states rights and people of all colors were on both sides.

Everyone's so sensitive now, so paranoid about being judged, that we can't even interact.
I DO NOT SUPPORT the removal of ANY historical landmarks at all! I DO NOT SUPPORT kids no longer being taught about great people because of a facet that's no longer acceptable. There were great, respectable people fighting on the confederacy's behalf, they're worth remembering!
THAT IS NOT SENSITIVITY. THAT IS CENSORSHIP.
The Civil War was about slavery. It had other causes, true, but slavery was a main cause. You can read the secession statements from several Confederate states and see that they, by name, cite slavery as a reason to secede. You can read them here, and here is an excerpt from Georgia's:

"For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic."

Stop straw manning.

I know it's not liberals in general, but Antifa is an extreme leftist organization. They may claim to be anti-fascists, but if you are violent against others based on political opinions, you are a fascist. This isn't just for you, but for everyone. Supporting left-winged beliefs doesn't make you a fascist. It's supporting the extremes (like political correctness) or being violent against your opponents that makes you fascists.

I learned that before Trump was president, Antifa was a fad that teenagers and college students follow until they eventually grow out. Now they are violent people.

I know it's not liberals in general, but Antifa is an extreme leftist organization. They may claim to be anti-fascists, but if you are violent against others based on political opinions, you are a fascist. This isn't just for you, but for everyone. Supporting left-winged beliefs doesn't make you a fascist. It's supporting the extremes (like political correctness) or being violent against your opponents that makes you fascists.

I learned that before Trump was president, Antifa was a fad that teenagers and college students follow until they eventually grow out. Now they are violent people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

I feel like this is appropriate for describing how we need to treat fascists.

Confederate statues should be in a museum, not out for public display, people say we learn about history so it doesn't repeat itself, but learning about history will give ideas to some people, like white supremacists, for somethings learning about it will help to prevent it (like the triangle shirtwaist factory, or something like that) but learning about the civil war, slavery, and the confederate will give many people (the white supremacists) ideas. I do think we should still learn about it though, just to show how terrible it was.

The Civil War was about slavery. It had other causes, true, but slavery was a main cause. You can read the secession statements from several Confederate states and see that they, by name, cite slavery as a reason to secede. You can read them here, and here is an excerpt from Georgia's:

"For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic."

It was actually because of secession, not because of slavery, but if you want to know why Lincoln hated secession, it's because he wanted to preserve the union. He said that a house divided against itself cannot stand. Somehow, we're actually getting what Abe Lincoln didn't want. Our nation is deeply divided. Some say that Trump is a polarizing figure, but Obama actually made it worse than what Lincoln was trying to stop. And we may hate the south seceding because of slavery, but talks of secession is still huge. California is trying it too, ever since Trump got the power. So slavery may not be an issue today, but most issues related to the Civil War exists in today's time.

Honestly I don't support the extreme protests who defile such statues no matter what of.

It was actually because of secession, not because of slavery, but if you want to know why Lincoln hated secession, it's because he wanted to preserve the union. He said that a house divided against itself cannot stand. Somehow, we're actually getting what Abe Lincoln didn't want. Our nation is deeply divided. Some say that Trump is a polarizing figure, but Obama actually made it worse than what Lincoln was trying to stop. And we may hate the south seceding because of slavery, but talks of secession is still huge. California is trying it too, ever since Trump got the power. So slavery may not be an issue today, but most issues related to the Civil War exists in today's time.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here, or how Obama or Trump have anything to do with the Civl War.

garfieldstatue.jpg

if you tear it down, we rebel! your move, jon arbuckle...

Last edited:
I have to admit that I was wrong wording the poll the way I made it. But when I mean "censoring history", it's not just limited to textbooks. It also goes to relics, statues, and works of art from the past. That's why I written the poll like this. No, it doesn't change history as history can't be changed, but you can destroy history by destroying landmarks and relics from history. And that is what I am against.

It's misleading for your thread title to be one question and your poll question to be an entirely different one.

we discussed this in my history class. I think that they should be moved to a museum. we shouldn't ever forget our past but we shouldn't be glorifying the people who fought against the country either.

While you shouldn't censor history, you shouldn't put them up randomly either. Keep them in a museum or safe storage so people can go learn there rather than randomly fighting each other.

On the other hand, don't be like Trump and glorify the right-wing nazi people either.

Columbus doesn't deserve a statue in public anyway, he's a selfish, rapist, murderer. The history about Columbus is already censored, that statue is just the propaganda to go with the censorship.

lol obama hasnt done what these confederates have done. of course you would be okay with an obama statue because he didnt and wasnt related to the same atrocious things these racist confederate icons were related or a part of.

i dont understand the argument "white nationalists" have with comparing their paper cut and say its just as bad as a bullet wound. that people attacking a bully for being a bully in order to protect the victims the bully targets, is just as bad and immoral as the bully attacking people for being people. "both sides are at fault" ? thats some backwards thinking. translation to that: "everyone is saying the racists are in the wrong, and im a closet racist, so i need to put equal blame on the antifas who attack the racists in order to protect the people racists target and make them sound just as bad and immoral as racists." alm people, your not fooling anyone with that.

also their attempt to derail the convo on the wrongdoings of racists to anything negative about a person who just so happens to conveniently black to justify it. thats like you got caught robbing a bank and you yell at the people that they need to look at that person thats jaywalking because thats just as bad because its "breaking the law."

okay we get it. white nationalists, american nazis, right chicken wings, whatever they want to call themselves are so proud of their white founding fathers to build such an "amazing" country while conveniently ignoring / undermining how it was at the expense of millions of nat. american lives, black slave labor and torture and chinese slave labors, stealing materials and riches from africa.

"sure our founding fathers encouraged the genocide of a race, and the enslavement of another. (and i as a white person who benefitted from this have the nerve to tell you poc that its not that bad.) BUT at least they forced those slaves to systematically built this country for ME and ONLY LIKE ME, so EVERYONE should be proud of that! horray us! white power!"

Back