Do you support the removal of historical statues?

Do you support censoring parts of history?

• Total voters
I say just put them in museums or somewhere less public and then the pople complaining about them won't have to see them anymore. However that is not the case for non confederate statues. I'm not surprised though, sadly enough.

I'm fine with confederate statues being taken down. I just think they should go into museums or something.

I don't agree about Mt Rushmore though.

First of all, labeling the topic "Do you support the removal of historical statues?" is incredibly leading, and probably wasn't the best way to start off this topic.

Second of all, a LOT of confederate memorial statues were placed pretty long after the civil war had ended. Coincidently, there was tons of race riots going on when the statues were put up. It doesn't take a lot of guesses as to why people picked those specific times to 'honor the great history of the south'...Also, last time I checked, they weren't taking down statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Both of them were also presidents who made huge waves in the US for the better. Lee was nowhere near as positively influential as they were.

As far as forgetting history without statues, Gyro probably put it best. Germany doesn't need a bunch of Hitler statues to remember how incredibly horrible the Nazi regime was. The US doesn't need any confederate statues either to remember slavery and racial segregation either. By the same token, should we just have statues to memorialize every bad person who made a significant impact on the history of the United States?

I'm fine with confederate statues being taken down. I just think they should go into museums or something.

I don't agree about Mt Rushmore though.

Yes, they can at least place the Confederate statues somewhere in museums or cemeteries. Getting rid of Mount Rushmore is like getting rid of the Statue of Liberty.

The poll is worded in a rather biased way, so I won't answer it.

Is anyone trying to remove statues of early presidents? I hadn't heard about that; in that case--no.

However, the confederate statues really only represent one thing. Most were cheaply manufactured and put up in the Jim Crow and Civil Rights eras to demoralize minorities. So yes, I support their removal.

Last edited:
Yes, they can at least place the Confederate statues somewhere in museums or cemeteries. Getting rid of Mount Rushmore is like getting rid of the Statue of Liberty.

Think it's a good idea. Tourists will still see the statues and stuff, and they won't be so public.

I was too lazy to read the first post properly so I probably won't say much for this.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The poll is worded in a rather discriminatory way, so I won't answer it.

Is anyone trying to remove statues of early presidents? I hadn't heard about that; in that case--no.

However, the confederate statues really only represent one thing. Most were cheaply manufactured and put up in the Jim Crow and Civil Rights eras to demoralize minorities. So yes, I support their removal.

Poll should have more options tbh

I don't think they need to be censored. Not all slaves were people of color. There were white slaves too. Lumping them all together into thinking that only colored people were suffering as slaves is too generalizing.

yes but the majority was african american slaves and I agree with confederate statues but dont bring the founding fathers in this also statues don't need to show america had past history there's textbooks and/or the internet we don't put up statues up in parks of hate groups to acknowledge they had a affect on history.

Last edited:
Whether we like it or not, these statues are a symbol of times long gone. I think that they should be preserved for future generations, for the sake of history, but in these times, they belong in museums. We should focus on the present day and the future.

First of all, removing Confederate statues is not the same thing as censoring history. Geez, no one is saying we're gonna rewrite the history books or something.

Second, there are no statues of Hitler in Germany and no one seems to have any trouble remembering him. If people are that curious about what the Southern Confederacy was like maybe they should try picking up a book on the subject. It'd probably teach them more than some statue.

Last edited:
NO.
Slavery isn't by any means the worst sin this country has committed.
There were cruel and awful slave owners and there were slave owners that treated their people with kindness and respect.
PLUS the civil war wasn't ever about slavery, it was about states rights and people of all colors were on both sides.

Everyone's so sensitive now, so paranoid about being judged, that we can't even interact.
I DO NOT SUPPORT the removal of ANY historical landmarks at all! I DO NOT SUPPORT kids no longer being taught about great people because of a facet that's no longer acceptable. There were great, respectable people fighting on the confederacy's behalf, they're worth remembering!
THAT IS NOT SENSITIVITY. THAT IS CENSORSHIP.

I agree with putting them in museums or something and not completely destroying it. Honestly, I think its time to make room for new statues anyway. Obviously something like Mount Rushmore is controversial, especially since its such a tourist attraction. As for the little statues of people that no one knows because we have long since stopped talking about them in history books, they should just move them somewhere else to be remembered. It would be nice to see statues of heroes from the more recent generations out on display. As time goes on, those people on those small statues may be forgotten anyway because there's someone more important and recent to learn about.

That poll is biased. That poll said "are you for censoring history", not "do you support removal of statues".

It isn't censoring history. It's acknowledging that some parts of history should be in a museum, not on a pedestal.
Also, do you see Germans with Nazi statues and waving swatikas as part of their "heritage"? I didn't think so...

High-key mad that I just got baited into voting yes in a poll that asks if you support censoring history. Thanks apples.

High-key mad that I just got baited into voting yes in a poll that asks if you support censoring history. Thanks apples.

The problem that I have with the poll is that the wording is kind of slanted towards one side and misleading when it's not actually the case

Last edited:
My suggestion. If they don't want statues of the Confederacy because of slavery, let's put up statues of Donald Trump in honor of his administration. They have to choose what they would rather have.

My suggestion. If they don't want statues of the Confederacy because of slavery, let's put up statues of Donald Trump in honor of his administration. They have to choose what they would rather have.

Hun they're taking down these statues because Donald Trump's presidency is reminding them of the people whose statues they're destroying.

Also how does that even make sense? Why would they have to choose between those? I don't see where you're coming from.

Hun they're taking down these statues because Donald Trump's presidency is reminding them of the people whose statues they're destroying.

Also how does that even make sense? Why would they have to choose between those? I don't see where you're coming from.

I didn't expect people to think Trump is related to this. But I was suggesting that because the majority of the people that hate the confederacy so much that they want to remove every icon related to the confederate states during the Civil War hated Donald Trump too. Having them choose whether they rather keep these confederate icons up or a Trump statue is like choosing to eat a food you hate or watch a show you hate when it has nothing to do with the food. Trump isn't making them hate the confederacy. They hated it even before Trump taken power. The decision happened during the Trump administration.

Back