Am I the only person who absolutely hates sports (and being active)?

I hate playing sport. I don't find any enjoyment in it at all. I did Karate for 7 years and achieved my 1st dan but I never enjoyed doing it - my dad made me do it after I quit ballet (something else I hated)

When I was in HS I was selected for the 800m (2 laps round the track) for sports day against my will, with my form teacher knowing full well I am shocking at running and I purposely forgot my sports kit.

Also, the same year, during P.E when we were doing cross country we had to do 8 laps round the track and I walked the whole thing at my own pace. As punishment my p.e teacher made me run it during dinner hour in torrential rain, otherwise face doing it during after school detention.

I've never liked the couple of PE classes I had to attend back in high school (thankfully it was just the first year). I didn't like the surprise factor of what we'd be playing, or the pressure of team sports, or overly organized games whose rules I didn't know. It created a lot of anxiety.

That said, I do enjoy being active, but only in individual or two-player sports. Even back then in gym class, I loved doing the timed running "tests" ("beep tests") because I always did well. I love hiking, kayaking, and skiing (even though I'm terrible at it). I loved martial arts back when I had the time and money to take lessons.

i love playing sports for fun just with my friends and people i know! however, it isn't as fun to play sports in school or on a local team where everything gets really competitive.

Honestly if I had a friend and I found out they liked sports and they wanted to play some with me I'd walk away and if they bothered me about it I'd happily end our friendship right there :]

I've never liked and been good at sports. I even hate it so much that during Sports Fest in my school, I just choose to stay in the classroom and sleep. Because of this, I always got bad grades in PE class D;

I don't hate them in particular, but I've never been athletic. I'd be the one in the corner of the gym reading a book. I played soccer (American football) as a kid for a short while til my chest grew stuff. Ever since, I'd just peek at sports on TV at the bar.

I mean, sports recreationally with friends are sometimes fun, but other than that I try to stay as far away from sports and sport broadcasting as I can. I used to be into it back ages ago, but it gets boring really fast

Don't worry, I'm the absolute same. And you know whats funny about my high school? We are forced to do gym for all the grades, but we don't have to do ANY sciences at all for grades 11 and 12. Like, that is just so stupid to me. Idk, i guess some people don't have to do science for future careers, but still!

i'm extremely weak and have physical and mental issues that prevent working out to make me feel any better. if anything, it makes me feel exhausted and stressed. i have bad history with p.e coaches too so maybe that's part of it?
sports in general just don't interest me

Last edited:
I've always hated doing P.E. in school, it just wasn't fun for me.
When I was in yr 11 I just refused to do it, always bringing in a excuse note. So when everyone doing P.E. there would just be a me and my mate just watching.
It got so bad that the P.E. teacher just excused us for the period and we would be sent to the computer room to finish some work from other classes. {Which I didn't mind lol I already finished all my school work so we would just play music and games}

Last edited:
I hate sports, I don't know why people enjoy playing them. I'm not very active, because the only things I like to be active for is stuff I don't have (like a pool) and summer is way to hot for me so usually whenever I do go outside and play it's at sunset, my mom tells me to be active but maybe if we had something I actually liked I would be. Your definatly not the only one.

I always hated PE, but I do like sports. Even as an adult I am always trying to sign up for something.

Even now more so, I try to be active for at least 30 minutes a day. I have to be. The effects of exercise and mental health are so closely related - I find if I don't exercise I am by far more anxious and I don't sleep.

High school P.E. was personal heck for me. It was essentially all of the senior jocks trying to hurt everyone else in the class for 60 minutes a day... ;_;

I don't hate sports, there are a few I really enjoy watching. I don't play any though. I HATE/DETEST/LOATHE exercising though, even though I realize I absolutely need to start doing it if I want to be healthy/STAY ALIVE in my older age...but, just thinking about it makes me groan, lol.

I remember the days of having to do P.E, there was no excuse of "forgetting your kit" either because we would just be given the extra clothing that would be too big for me so I would look as though I was being smothered under a duvet with all that extra fabric from the white (or should I say yellow) t-shirts. I never used to like being forced to be physically active with the others but I just got on with it because there was nothing I could do, luckily I wasn't suffering from any health problems at the time. Just a healthy skinny girl that was never active.

Having anxiety on top of that is even more troubling so dealing with all that must be hard for you, hang in there. It is a very difficult pathway to walk through, I've been there and some days I still am. Just know that you are never alone :)

I used to be like that.

Then, something changed and I'm not really like that anymore. I'm not super active, but I don't hate it anymore, if you get what I'm saying? I don't know why I'm like this.

same here, i would always sit out of PE class because i was socially anxious and felt awkward being active in front of so many people... but i still managed to pass, we only had to take 2 semesters in high school i believe, no way i was going to take more classes than i needed to. i also hate being active, besides walking, but lately i havent been doing much of that @__@ everything on my college campus is easy to walk to, but back in high school/middle school i would walk a little more than a mile every day and it was enough to keep me in a decent shape. i really need to start going out of m yway to exercise soon, cuz my bc pill made me gain like ,15 pounds in just a few months. >.> but i'm scared to go to my school's gym, cuz i know most people there will be jocks and people who actually know how to use the gym/weights. xD Eh I'll probably just stick to the treadmill and stuff.

Yes I also hate all sports and forms of physical activity. Gym was always my lowest mark and brought down my average. A couple of times I tried exercising to boost my mood because people say it works but it always made me feel worse :p

I see your problem here.
In Year 7 at high school?
Oh, by the way. I'm Australian. Years 1-6 are Primary School and 7-12 are High School.
So, in Year 7 at my high school, they took Sport very, very seriously.
Our school was literally known and meant for it's sports.
In P.E. there were professional sport players and I was really bad at all sports.
I was a very, very slow runner compared to the others, as well.
The students made me feel like I was pathetic, and soon, that led to bullying towards me.
I told my parents about this, and they decided to put me in a club.
Not just any ordinary club.
A Soccer (football) Club.
Now, I had no knowledge whatsoever about the game.
But in the club, people were extremely kind, even though the Coach was really, really strict.
When the Coach noticed the lack of movement by me in my first game, he yelled at me in front of everybody.
I was all red in the face.
I remember reading the quote:
"Don't hide your emotions".
So I burst into tears and fell down on the ground, lol.
My fellow Soccer mates helped me up and talked to me.
They understood my pain.
Soon, the Coach had arranged to talk to me.
He talked to me.
He told me that he's not a mean person, and he wants the team to win.
So, he talked with my parents and arranged a private training session with me, before the game.
He taught me how to kick, and soon, I became an extremely powerful kicker.
He taught me how to pass and shoot, and I became very successful.
Then, when we versed another group of kids, I was the best player.
I remember scoring all 5 goals for my team, and defending off attackers.
The 11 & 12 year old girls had soon become the champions of our region.
My name was engraved as the 2008 Best Player.
So, when the last session came, the Coach mentioned:
"Practice makes perfect."
When I returned to school, I had made a huge development in sport.
I knew how to play most games because they sorta had the same genre of Soccer, an Invasion Sport.
I was also way more faster than I was before.
I joined the school's soccer team, and get this:
I was too good for the girls team that I had to go onto the boys team (aka the 'Mixed Team', when I joined).
Soon, people stopped bullying me and they appreciated me for who I was.

So, my moral for you is to practice. I can see that you're skin is sensitive to the sun, but you should go with the flow and to start off with taking a stroll around town. Wear powerful sunscreen. Start off with the shade. If your parents don't want you going alone, then maybe take your pets for a walk (if you have some) or walk with someone. If you don't have pets to take for a walk, or nobody wants to come with you, then walk around your house or backyard as a minimum for a start. Start getting used to the outside environment, and maybe you could take a run around. Also, you should take paranoia off your mind. If you start playing sports, it doesn't mean that you'll develop muscles. Unless you start weightlifting, that'll mean that you could start getting muscles. Maybe to reduce your paranoia, if you have the time, do yoga or meditation. Just start practicing, and start getting involved, even if it's hard for you. Even if your teacher tells you to lift weights, and you know you can't do it, just have a go. I promise you, no matter how strict your teacher is, they will mark you a higher grade for participating in classes. Trust me, even if you're a bad sport player, they'll appreciate you for actually doing the things. They won't yell at you for not being able to have the ability to do certain things, because nobody's perfect at all. Thanks for reading this all, if you have.
I get what you mean by saying that you start writing so much.

I've always hated sports. I don't like watching them and I don't like talking about them. If someone else is interested in them I'll humor them to an extent but if that's all someone has to talk about I don't want to hear about it.

Almost all sports are the same to me and I lump them into one sport called "SportsBall." I do not care for SportsBall, no matter how you're getting that ball to the place the ball needs to go, I don't care.

In school I hated PE mostly because I had health issues like asthma and a cracked rib that acted up when I did things like running and jumping. Volleyball they only ever chose to make us play on the coldest days ever and I'd get welts from a combo of freezing skin and owchy ball slams on my forearms, I was good at it though. I was also good at the "Field" aspects of track and field, so good I broke the school's shot-put record during PE (couldn't be recorded and awarded for it because it was during PE) and my teacher BEGGED me to join track and field, saying I'd only have to do ONE running event and I was like, that's one too many so no.

I think the only sport I even ENJOYED was badminton, I could whack that birdie like no tomorrow. But I hated running after the birdie when someone else overshot it... -_- jerks.

Also I had gotten hurt in PE way too many times, twice I sprained my ankle, once I got a ball to the face that made my face sting like hell and turn red, thankfully I didn't get a broken nose or lip cause it hit me JUST RIGHT. Just like, why PE, why?

Last edited:
Back