• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The unwritten rules/NL faux pas

Ably.Saucey

Count your Many Blessings
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
5195-6588-2889
Orange Balloon
Father's Day Carnation
Spring Sakura
Blue Hybrid Violet
Purple Violet
Red Pansy
White Violet
Famous Mushroom
Spring Shamrock
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
I would like to think the unwritten rules are simple common courtesy and the town rules most of us have:
1. No running, digging ,shaking or chopping.
2.Stay on paths.
3.Go where you're supposed too, don't wander off.
4.Say 'hi' when you arrive, and 'bye' when you leave.
5. Just ask.
6. Be nice
Etc...
Most players follow the rules, but every so often you get someone that's not aware of these rules yet or does not care.
What do you think are visitor/host social faux pas?

Last edited:
All the ones you listed are good, honestly so many people run in my town it's getting to the point where I may have to put it in my signature and/or remind people before opening my gate. Some other obvious ones

1. Don't come over uninvited
2. Don't talk to villagers (idc about this but I know a lot hate it)
3. Don't buy anything from any shops without asking

For my town,

Don't take my flowers
Don't run through my flowers
Don't talk to my villagers
Greet me when you arrive
Say goodbye once you leave
Do not arrive in my town without invitation

So majority of what you two said ^

I actually don't have paths in my town, so roaming is okay with me.

Another thing, if a villager who's a dreamie of yours (or any villager really) is moving out and in boxes, DO. NOT. TALK. TO. THEM. Maybe I sold him. Maybe I'm planning on it. Maybe I' m giving him away. Maybe I just don't want you taking him, even if none of the above is happening. You can ask and I'll probably say yes, but don't do it uninvited.

I get scared with the no running rule. I would never run but sometimes the game will make other characters look like they're running.

I once told a friend, "Hey don't run!" but he told me he wasn't at all. I notice it too if you're on main street with your visitor, some of the villagers nearby will haul ass.

I don't know if it's the game playing catch up or it looks like an intense jog.

So I'm extra paranoid; I don't want to look like a hooligan.

- no running
- no chopping trees if you weren't asked to (I know some people hire landscapers to level their towns)
- stick to the paths
- be polite
- ask before you take something
- say hi and bye

I get really nervous and a little panicky when I'm visiting someone who's leading me (usually to a villager in boxes or to pickup some items), and they get ahead of me because they know their map. Even if they don't run, I'm bad at keeping up (I use my c-stick lightly), and I'm terrified they'll think I'm wandering off or taking stuff or something.

For my own town, the basics are pretty much
- Don't take what you're not there for
- No running
- Stay close to the train station (unless you're accompanied by me)
- If you need to use your locker or ABD, go ahead (though most people tell me anyway)

Usually I only let friends actually go into my town, so rules like no running etc., shouldn't even apply to brief trading visitors because they should be at my *paved* train station.

Last edited:
-Don't run (unless it's a little bit on the paths)
-Don't take anything without asking
-Don't shake the trees
-Don't destroy anything
-If you're here to pickup items, take them and stay still so I can end session
-Don't wander off
-You may use the ABD and locker, but it's better to remind me when you do

:)

- Don't run unless it's a path (and don't use that as an excuse to trample any flowers that line said path)
- Don't shake my trees unless I give permission (esp. not the perfect fruit)
- Leave your axe and shovel at home. Want wanton destruction? Visit a dream town.
- Want to go shopping, get a haircut, visit Katrina, visit the RV? I don't mind, but let me know so I can go with you.

Last edited:
I usually don't have very many visitors but mine are:

Say hi and bye
Be nice
Don't do anything that you wouldn't want me to do in your town (like cut down all your trees)
Update me if you want to go somewhere, so I don't lose you
No begging (you're not my dog)

In my experience most of the above listed rules are followed, I come across a lot more issues when on island/club tortimer. I usually go once a day looking for the blue wetsuit and sometimes I'm not sure what's going on there. Sometimes folks are super nice and we do some tours, catch some fish and beetles, but sometimes there's just weirdness. I understand some of it can't be helped, like the players that are just there to wreck the place, in that case I just leave but then sometimes there's the more grey areas, and usually a language barrier, so-

Mostly I always wonder is it rude not to go on a tour if someone asks?

And if I start a tour, I will wait a bit to see if the others come in but I don't really ask them to join, I figure once the announcement ismade they will come if they want to.

I feel that all this rules should have been a common manner whenever you visit someone town, like

please be nice,
no running, no stealing
no talking to villagers
follow me etc...

Afterall, is people's town that you are crossing to and just like real life, you don't go in someone house uninvited and eat/take their stuff without asking right?

- - - Post Merge - - -

In my experience most of the above listed rules are followed, I come across a lot more issues when on island/club tortimer. I usually go once a day looking for the blue wetsuit and sometimes I'm not sure what's going on there. Sometimes folks are super nice and we do some tours, catch some fish and beetles, but sometimes there's just weirdness. I understand some of it can't be helped, like the players that are just there to wreck the place, in that case I just leave but then sometimes there's the more grey areas, and usually a language barrier, so-

Mostly I always wonder is it rude not to go on a tour if someone asks?

And if I start a tour, I will wait a bit to see if the others come in but I don't really ask them to join, I figure once the announcement ismade they will come if they want to.

Since is tortimer island and it also mean the island will be gone/disappear after all player leave so no big deal for them to destroy the place. I have friend cutting down trees at tortimer island but other player is being sad and begged him not to(lol). At tortimer island I am much more worry on player who doesn't let me leave unless I flip my switch or chasing me around begging for item I am wearing or money lol

I always respect other towns and though it was just common sense not to run around destroying your host's town, whether it's accidental or deliberate.

I haven't visited many towns, but I treat them the way I would like mine to be treated. I assume that fruit, flowers, etc. are to be left alone, unless I am specifically there to pick that up (and that's been agreed upon before I arrive). I also let the person show me which trees they would like picked. I don't usually run full-out on paths, partly because I'm afraid I might scuff it by accident and mainly because I don't know the town so well.

I like all these rules except for the "no talking to villagers" one. I see no problems with letting people talk to my villagers.

Bring me a box of donuts and a cup of coffee per visit.

...Just kidding. Now I want donuts.

Last edited:
1: Do not destroy my town, I've had someone do this before, but I errored in time.

2: Do not steal

3: Run on the path only, unless I say you can go off

4: Shop only after I get everything I want

5: Don't shake fruit or bell trees

I think that's it.

I have rules for my town but I have yet to post about them somewhere.

Do:
-Talk to my villagers, I don't mind.
-Shake any normal fruit trees.
-Take any normal flowers (except lilies)
-Shop from my Main Street or Re-Tail.
-Visit my Cafe
-Ask if you're unsure
-Be nice

Don't:
-Run
-Take hybrids
-Leave my sight, my paths are not finished. When they are done, I'll be fine with wandering as long as you stay on the path.
-Dig up anything on the ground or shake perfect pear trees
-Cut down trees or dig up bushes
-Take hybrids or any lilies

Some of them are more personal preference like the villagers talking rule, but a lot are just common decency and should always be considered when visiting someone else.

Back