• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Has anyone stolen/tried to steal things from your town?

That guy is kind of dumb to go for the most animated action item to steal. It's good for you because you kept catching his dumb butt but jeeze. It's awkward that some people think they're so sneaky!

That rando girl sounds wild too.

5cm/s, I feel like I know the person you're referring to, and the only reason I do is because I was kind of lurking their profile the other day after my bad experience with them to see if anyone else would VM them about a similar experience. And it happened.

Let me just start by saying that I don't want to doubly single this person out, because, judging from their profile, they're quite a young player (as in, in real life, according to the bio). So it may just be innocent fooling around. In any case, I'd invited someone over to deliver some goods I'd bought, and at the same time I was holding a small take-what-you-want sale. My intent was to VM the people interested in the sale when it was time for them to come over, but this person came uninvited when my gates were open and someone was here delivering my items (so I really couldn't cut wifi or anything). The unexpected guest came over, ran off from my train station where all the for-sale items were (as stated), posted on my bulletin board, took a bunch of random things (I think they dropped most of them), and went wandering off in my town! They didn't stop even when I asked. They ended up paying me a few tbt for the stuff they took (I couldn't assess exactly what they were, because it was a free-for-all kind of sale and I hadn't inventoried). I was really upset at the time and left them a not-so-amazing review, mostly because it was my first time experiencing anything like that. In hindsight, since I can't seem to edit my review, I feel like I was a little bit harsh and could have just left a neutral review instead, given the person's obvious... er, youth.

Apart from this, I've only had one other "incoming visitor" message that was unexpected, but this person probably realized it was the wrong town because they canceled it before they even came.

On a much more positive note, I'm happy to say there are several traders/sellers on here who I've let into my town without me being at the train station (for politeness I try to come back in time to say thanks and goodbye though lol). I know they'll drop everything at the train station or at the edges if they're plantables. The long-time shop owners on here are always dependable. To y'all, thank you!

i feel like we're dealing with the same person ;;; i'm feeling really lucky now that i know that i got it easy (they didn't take anything, as far as i know)... from the clues you gave in your story, the culprit matches up with mine (she's... young...). i guess all we can do is hope she doesn't do it again and hope she eventually realizes that what she did / is doing is wrong

really sorry about what happened though!! that's awful... and the lack of a sincere apology really sucks as well. if you ever need anything (items, flowers, tbt, igb), feel free to ask!! i give free stuff to people who need it- if they don't go on an uninvited free-for-all rampage through town -__-

- - - Post Merge - - -

Looks like there's a town robber on tbt! Hopefully we can track them down...

You guys should remember what they looked like and stuff, then we can see if it's the same person.

yeah, ofc i now remember who she is and i'm going to make sure to try to avoid her from now on, but ofc blacklisting isn't allowed here, and so i can't tell people who she is. just everyone stay safe!!!

- - - Post Merge - - -

That guy is kind of dumb to go for the most animated action item to steal. It's good for you because you kept catching his dumb butt but jeeze. It's awkward that some people think they're so sneaky!

That rando girl sounds wild too.

right?!

and absolutely- she was cray

5cm/s, I feel like I know the person you're referring to, and the only reason I do is because I was kind of lurking their profile the other day after my bad experience with them to see if anyone else would VM them about a similar experience. And it happened.

Let me just start by saying that I don't want to doubly single this person out, because, judging from their profile, they're quite a young player (as in, in real life, according to the bio). So it may just be innocent fooling around. In any case, I'd invited someone over to deliver some goods I'd bought, and at the same time I was holding a small take-what-you-want sale. My intent was to VM the people interested in the sale when it was time for them to come over, but this person came uninvited when my gates were open and someone was here delivering my items (so I really couldn't cut wifi or anything). The unexpected guest came over, ran off from my train station where all the for-sale items were (as stated), posted on my bulletin board, took a bunch of random things (I think they dropped most of them), and went wandering off in my town! They didn't stop even when I asked. They ended up paying me a few tbt for the stuff they took (I couldn't assess exactly what they were, because it was a free-for-all kind of sale and I hadn't inventoried). I was really upset at the time and left them a not-so-amazing review, mostly because it was my first time experiencing anything like that. In hindsight, since I can't seem to edit my review, I feel like I was a little bit harsh and could have just left a neutral review instead, given the person's obvious... er, youth.

Apart from this, I've only had one other "incoming visitor" message that was unexpected, but this person probably realized it was the wrong town because they canceled it before they even came.

On a much more positive note, I'm happy to say there are several traders/sellers on here who I've let into my town without me being at the train station (for politeness I try to come back in time to say thanks and goodbye though lol). I know they'll drop everything at the train station or at the edges if they're plantables. The long-time shop owners on here are always dependable. To y'all, thank you!

You guys were talking about the same person, but as far as I know not the same person who came by my town unless they have a second town. I think your review was as fair as what happened. Like even if you're young, there's consequences - so if nothing else, it's a learning lesson. :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

i feel like we're dealing with the same person ;;; i'm feeling really lucky now that i know that i got it easy (they didn't take anything, as far as i know)... from the clues you gave in your story, the culprit matches up with mine (she's... young...). i guess all we can do is hope she doesn't do it again and hope she eventually realizes that what she did / is doing is wrong

really sorry about what happened though!! that's awful... and the lack of a sincere apology really sucks as well. if you ever need anything (items, flowers, tbt, igb), feel free to ask!! i give free stuff to people who need it- if they don't go on an uninvited free-for-all rampage through town -__-

- - - Post Merge - - -

yeah, ofc i now remember who she is and i'm going to make sure to try to avoid her from now on, but ofc blacklisting isn't allowed here, and so i can't tell people who she is. just everyone stay safe!!!

- - - Post Merge - - -

right?!

and absolutely- she was cray

Tbh the clover thing kind of made me laugh, because it's so dumb. hahaha What a jerk, but the image in my head of someone stealing something and thrusting their fist up into the air holding a stolen object like "WOW" is just really funny to me. No stealth

The only thing that's happened was someone stole something minor on accident while cataloging some stuff. They left me something of like way higher value and I wanted to give it back but they didn't want to I think? idk this was yeeeears ago, so.

Aside from that tho there's not really been anything too weird happen in my town, tho there are people who've popped in wiout permission.

I've had a couple of players in our group that did cause problems.
Our group opens gates if they have time and anyone can drop by. We leave messages on the board by the train station with any rules or high premium items things.

One day I was hosting a high turnip price day and I was talking to my mom on the phone. Watched a player try to hit me with an axe and than they kept going to the train station. The town was new spare town and just started growing perfect cherries. The message on the board said to not shake any trees. Walked a little and my perfect trees were missing fruit. Asked for them to be put back which she did. After she left I check the trees and most of them were empty and some were dead. She left the rotten fruit and no fruit to replant. The player was new to our group and I removed her from my list. She left the group and we haven't seen her.

Another time I had my gates opened in my guest town for free item, perfect fruit to take open and some catalog items. A player dropped by and never said Hello while I was playing my other game. The player took most of the items and most of the perfect fruit home. It was disappointing that stuff wasn't left for other players that would be arriving later in the night. We also have an agreement to write on the board that we visited so the player knows. This person didn't leave anything on the message board. Removed the player from the list. Noticed that the player has been gone but is back with a new user name and different 3DS FC.

Another time I left the Campus Series out and one of the two players took a piece home. It was there for cataloging for the group. Again it was one of the newer players.

Other than those 3 times I've had no problems with my online friends. I can leave my gates opened with items on the beach for cataloging with no problems. I've left the full set of the Toys from New Years Eve to catalog for 2 months and nothing went missing.

Tip if you are inviting one player at a time open the gate and stay there. When they arrive close them so no one can arrive. You can trade or let the person visit with no others dropping by. I do this with one player and we catch up on real life stuff.

welp. I heard if you close your gates, nobody can come and the visitor stays. but I can see why you wouldn't want to do that as you two would've had to have mutual trust with each other (or you traded with them a lot). Aside from my IRL friends, I only know the people on here and all I have encountered were friendly.

That's nice of you. At least the stuff they took that I saw was legitimately up for sale (just not... uninvited for-sale) so I didn't care too much about those. I was more suspicious about what might have been taken when they were out of my sight in my very scattered/in progress/foresty town. (It probably wasn't much, if it was anything at all, given how quickly I ended after they didn't come back...)

I feel like I would give them a second chance if they wanted to buy stuff in the future, but probably do delivery instead lol.

Oh wow after reading all these stories it looks like I need to be cautious when someone visits my town.

No, I barely have anyone in my town. If it's a delivery, we stay by my gate.

I've been fortunate enough not to have it happen. This game doesn't seem like the type to attract that kind of behavior, though. I'm sure people do it. I just don't see it happening like super often.

I've never had anyone steal anything to my knowledge but I've had my fair share of "shady drifters" (as my brother calls them), that disappear right after they pick up someone. I'm like "Noooo, you don't just bolt off like that, you leave when I close!!" But I have a hard time giving people bad review because most of these people are very new, so the 'unwritten rules' aren't known yet.
I've had a very well known member just show up during a trade with one of my friends, Bragging about their town and f-this and f-that and not leaving when asked. That bothers me. You have no idea who you're visiting, so you watch your mouth! Needless to say I have deleted their fc and avoid any further dealing with this person.
I have "TBT: Ably.Saucey" as my Mii message and TPC message, so people know who who I am.

Thankfully no one has stolen from me in New Leaf, but I had a friend steal from me back in the City Folk days. She was a real life friend, and we would sometimes wifi together. Sometimes when she came over I'd notice stuff missing, or trees would be cut down. Nothing major, but enough for me to notice. I'd ask her about it, and she'd tell me that my villagers took them. Really? -_- I knew she was lying but I never confronted her about it because I knew she wouldn't own up to it.

A girl came in while my gates were open a longgg time ago. This was when I had my first town, and I met her on the local islands. I didn't mind her playing around until I saw her picking my tulips >.>

(Might not be in order but here i go)

About three years ago? I stole a flower from my friend (outside of TBT i met her on the island) she was always changing her mind, i would spend the day with her fixing and helping her sort her town out and each time she changed it was like salt in the wound that i just refused, sat down and watched her in the end. I stole one flower convincing myself that she wouldn't appreciate it as much as i would (it was a blue violet). She did use to give me hybrids to help me out every now and then but yeah, that happened. I confessed to her shortly after and i NEVER EVER did it again. It's not me.

I know she also got stolen from by another friend of hers. She trusted all of us to not steal items on the floor but it had turned out someone came to visit (i think her name was Sausage i never liked her after) she took her golden watering can and never gave it back. So when i had the chance of getting my own, i duplicated one for her (with the glitch). She was so happy.

I had things stolen by someone i met on the Island..i went brb (i am very trusting) and told them if they needed anything just tell me. I should of been in inventory or the best friend chat...I came back and they stole a lot of my hybrids with a note that she enjoyed "playing with me" and she would like to play again. I got so mad i just deleted her. Nothing i could of done but breed them back, didn't even think about black listing her friendcode or carrying it around as a beware. It still wouldn't of mattered if she got a new ds, you'd never know.

So far I have never encounter any problem like this especially not in this forum as everyone here is really nice and also follow the manners for not taking thing that is not belong to them (same goes to myself).

But once I remember I did trade with a newbie player and the moment she step into my town, she start picking up ANYTHING she saw and ignore when I ask her to stop. Luckily that time I am still using my 3DS XL which is easy to just flip the button (Not the new 3ds xl which we need to press the button and it takes longer time...risk of corrupting your file too). That's all, for once.

I never let anyone move pass the train station unless seller who do delivery as I believe they won't even want anything from me lol also another reason is I am very lazy to open my town for free visiting as everyone town seem the same to me anyway~

- - - Post Merge - - -

(Might not be in order but here i go)

About three years ago? I stole a flower from my friend (outside of TBT i met her on the island) she was always changing her mind, i would spend the day with her fixing and helping her sort her town out and each time she changed it was like salt in the wound that i just refused, sat down and watched her in the end. I stole one flower convincing myself that she wouldn't appreciate it as much as i would (it was a blue violet). She did use to give me hybrids to help me out every now and then but yeah, that happened. I confessed to her shortly after and i NEVER EVER did it again. It's not me.

I know she also got stolen from by another friend of hers. She trusted all of us to not steal items on the floor but it had turned out someone came to visit (i think her name was Sausage i never liked her after) she took her golden watering can and never gave it back. So when i had the chance of getting my own, i duplicated one for her (with the glitch). She was so happy.

I had things stolen by someone i met on the Island..i went brb (i am very trusting) and told them if they needed anything just tell me. I should of been in inventory or the best friend chat...I came back and they stole a lot of my hybrids with a note that she enjoyed "playing with me" and she would like to play again. I got so mad i just deleted her. Nothing i could of done but breed them back, didn't even think about black listing her friendcode or carrying it around as a beware. It still wouldn't of mattered if she got a new ds, you'd never know.

WOW what a "trustable" friend! Are you still contacting with this person? I hope you do not. Someone who can just throw away the trust others put on the and still leave a scary message like "enjoy playing with you" *sound extremely horrible to me now*

WOW what a "trustable" friend! Are you still contacting with this person? I hope you do not. Someone who can just throw away the trust others put on the and still leave a scary message like "enjoy playing with you" *sound extremely horrible to me now*

*Has a heartattack* I thought you meant me Q.Q

No i am not, i deleted them on the spot. I was soooo mad.

It was said nicely..i even have a screenshot somewhere but that's like in a billion albums..i'll try and find it. It was like she enjoyed her time with me then stole my hybrids. We may of played games on the island before she came over but i think i went brb shortly after she came over and then yeah. I would of had NO WAY of contacting her if i did like her and wanted her to come over since i didn't add her to the best friend chat. So it was all...wrong. I guess people on the island should really stay on the island x.x

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this has happened to me before! I was trying to get the train station upgrade, so I had lots of people passing through my town all day. It didn't even occur to me to keep an eye on people. All of my blue roses and Jacob's ladders went missing, a few bags of Bells that I had sitting near ReTail, and some of the rarer mushrooms. It's made me really weird about having other people in my town!

I didn't know you could close the gates when there is a visitor over. :) Good to know

I know after I bought a villager from someone the first and maybe second time, I didn't know the rules and I walked away from them after saying thank you and bye to leave through the train station, because I didn't know there was an "end" button. hahaha No one said anything to me though, and once I found out, I just stopped walking away and when I have people over I'll let them know I'll end the visit.

Omg, you guys have some bad stories. Like as far as I know I got everything back, but we'll see when I go back to my second town to put things back where they were. I wouldnt be surprised if she took more than she gave back tho

*Has a heartattack* I thought you meant me Q.Q

No i am not, i deleted them on the spot. I was soooo mad.

It was said nicely..i even have a screenshot somewhere but that's like in a billion albums..i'll try and find it. It was like she enjoyed her time with me then stole my hybrids. We may of played games on the island before she came over but i think i went brb shortly after she came over and then yeah. I would of had NO WAY of contacting her if i did like her and wanted her to come over since i didn't add her to the best friend chat. So it was all...wrong. I guess people on the island should really stay on the island x.x

lol no worries as everyone did mistake too xD I did stole something from people too (not in animal crossing but other game) but what your this friend did is really scary 0.0

Wow, some of these stories are wild! Thankfully, nothing like this has happened to me, and I hope it never does. Whenever I have someone coming to my town we stay right by the station. It's a good reminder to keep my friends list trimmed down to players I know I'd recognize. Of course, they could always be coming from a secret second town or something... but I hope not! *knock on wood*

Back