• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Keeping Villagers Original?

CuriousCharli

Bunnie's Shmoopy
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
The Bell Tree Fair 2022 Patch
Spring Shamrock
Holiday Candy Cane 2020
Matryoshka Doll
Festive Bell
Green Christmas Stocking
Pear (Fruit)
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Does it bother you or do you try hard to keep your villagers original as possible? I'm talking personal level not really trading i understand why you need to keep them original as possible but i mean for things like dream address or personal satisfaction?

I kinda hate giving my villager any things because of the possibility of it ending up in their home.

The good news however sometimes it does improve their homes. I have two stories of this.

Stitches: I gave Stitches a tea set and he put it next to his bear. It reminded me of teddy bear's picnic.
Lolly: I gave Lolly a Afternoon Tea Set and she put it on her table, overriding her pickle jar. I thought it was sweet.

Have you had any good experiences like those? Or just any opinions on the subject would be appreciated :3

Last edited:
ehh i'm half and half. i have villagers who have changed their clothes and i'm like whatever (some even look nice/better when changed!) and i have some villagers who i wish could have kept their original clothes, just because they looked better.
like, flo, for example. i've had her for quite a while, and i loved how her original shirt looked on her. a few days ago she actually changed her shirt, and it doesn't look as nice as how it used to be.

when it comes to gifting villagers things, i'll usually try to gift them something that they'll look good in/furniture that will at least match their house a little, but i'm not too insistent on keeping things totally, i guess, perfect. i can definitely see why others would want to, though!

I don't mind them not being original as long as their house looks pretty and they have nice clothes on. However I hate saying "no" to them when they ask for something I have, even if it's a fish or a bug and it ruins their house, so they end up with ugly houses anyway :( I compensate by making pretty gardens for them!

I don't really mind if they're original or not, though I do have to agree that it sometimes makes things look a little off if something ends up in their house. Ankha currently has a fossil just sitting in her house and it really doesn't look too great in there, haha.

I don't insist on them staying original. To be honest, only Midge and Goldie still have their original furniture and Goldie is the only one with original clothing. I'm trying to keep them that way, because I like their homes. Everyone else sort of got messed up, so I've been working on getting their homes to look nice, with items that fit their personalities/wallpaper and carpet.

The only time, I expect a villager to be original is if I'm adopting from a cycler. That's it. Once they're in my town, I really don't care if they stay original or not. Unless it's someone like Ruby where they ask for new furniture and everything you give them becomes an eyesore in their house. If I had a villager like that, then I'd wanna try harder to keep them original or just keep up with their theme.

Last edited:
Not having original villagers make it seem more like an actual town that changes and develops. You wouldn't wear the same shirt all your life or never move a piece of furniture, would you? Plus, non-original villagers can give you some really nice memories of the game, like "Oh yeah! I gave you that sofa for your birthday! You put it in your house, that's really cool!" or when they put on your custom designs it's really nice as well.

I like them not original. I like seeing the changes. I just try to give them more thoughtful gifts so their house doesn't look horrendous from me giving them any old junk I happen to have laying around. haha

I like Marshals house the way it is and afraid he'll ruin it by replacing his sofa with a bath mat or something hideous. Other than that I like customizing my villagers houses by sending them furniture from sets.

I also avoid giving them gabrage I know will ruin their houses or doing specific bug/fish requests.

I don't care unless I really liked their house interior and it's hard to get items to replace them, but ultimate I wanna decorate heir house a bit myself anyways. Their clothes aren't a bother to me either because I want to change them usually too

I'll change it so that it looks good for my personal tastes/opinion. For instance, I pretty much gifted Wendy all pave furniture and it looks great with her wallpaper/flooring. I'll probably gift Marina a lot of the princess set. Only thing I hate is them filling their houses with clothes so I try not to gift it or let them have it if they ping something in my pockets.

I always customize my villagers, I don't like the original phrases and much prefer them saying things I've made up for them.

I totally agree with all of you i'm so glad i'm not alone :D. I don't mind if their clothes changed not really what i meant either but glad someone mentioned it (Though when i had Benedict i tried really hard to get him back into his original shirt, nothing else suited him in my eyes) i really like though when they wear my designs, i think that's the sweetest thing ever.
I do try and think of nice gifts to give but they somehow replace things i don't want them to replace or catch me out and buy clothes off me. I am trying to get the pro listener status or "Rumor" and i think that has a part in it. Even so i dont really like saying no to them or making them sad...sometimes when you give them something (especially Uchi) ad you say its for free they get really happy...and i gotta keep my Frita happy <3I tried to give Lolly a stack of books hoping she would replace them with her doll she has in there but i know the doll (which i may or may not of given her i dont remember) is rare so i'm unsure if she can touch that ever again lol so when i went in she replaced the afternoon tea set with the pile of books..i got a little upset so i made her change them back lol.

I'll change it so that it looks good for my personal tastes/opinion. For instance, I pretty much gifted Wendy all pave furniture and it looks great with her wallpaper/flooring. I'll probably gift Marina a lot of the princess set. Only thing I hate is them filling their houses with clothes so I try not to gift it or let them have it if they ping something in my pockets.

That is so nice of you hun :D my friend use to gift Diana the mermaid stuff because she thought it went well with her style.
I agree about the clothes its really annoying. I may of displayed Frita's "scarf" that she gave me, before she left, with her picture but then i made a memorial garden to put her picture in so it's all good.

I always customize my villagers, I don't like the original phrases and much prefer them saying things I've made up for them.

I like giving Portia Darhling, i imagine her being really posh since she's snooty so i understand this. I also like giving Lucky curses because he looks like a mummy and kinda goes with the theme or just the fact that curses are the opposite of lucky :p

Last edited:
I like to keep my villagers as original as I can but I'm bad at saying no to them too lol. Sometimes I'll give a villager a piece of furniture if I think it will look good in their house.

I like Marshals house the way it is and afraid he'll ruin it by replacing his sofa with a bath mat or something hideous. Other than that I like customizing my villagers houses by sending them furniture from sets.

I also avoid giving them gabrage I know will ruin their houses or doing specific bug/fish requests.

Aww, but what if they get lonely? Besides, having a pet can be very therapeutic. (′ェ`)

I try my best to keep them original, or cute in some way. I don't mind what they wear or say as long as it's not hideous. Though I hate when two or more villagers wear the same shirt or share catchphrases.

I used to not care about their houses because I rarely go inside of them, but in one of my old saves Marshal absolutely BUTCHERED his house. Half of it was completely empty and the other side had some awful, awful looking furniture. It was an abomination.

Last edited:
I try my best to keep them original, or cute in some way. I don't mind what they wear or say as long as it's not hideous. Though I hate when two or more villagers wear the same shirt or share catchphrases.

I used to not care about their houses because I rarely go inside of them, but in one of my old saves Marshal absolutely BUTCHERED his house. Half of it was completely empty and the other side had some awful, awful looking furniture. It was an abomination.

Damn that sounds awful. I know what you mean though. If there are spaces in Retail they will sell their stuff there and that is why they will have missing places in their home sometimes. His house is really nice (had him briefly). There are some that already seam empty kinda like Lucky's and Tia's house..It's kinda sad really. Julian's house for whatever reason always looks nice..i never knew anything was replaced until i went to his wiki page. Maybe i was extra careful (even though i gave him a tv at one point).

I don't really care about what the villagers houses look like, but if they put on an ugly shirt, I'll send them new clothes. I feel like controlling their houses requires a bit more luck than the clothes.

Even though it annoys me when nice furniture or clothes get tossed out, I'm always interested in seeing how my villager will be different from others of the same villager.

Back