• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Control or Go With The Flow

-KittyCat-

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So with my fresh start, the first thing I amwondering is how much control I should let myself have over this town. For example, should I path plot reset, to control exactly where my villagers go? Or should I let them move wherever? Should I buy villagers from the forum, and control what villagers move in? I do, of course have 10 dreamies I would love to have in town... Or should I just let anyone move in? I could really use some advicce and opions. There are also many different ways to control your town, and I'm not sure what to do. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Well, if you want your town to be exactly how you like, then go ahead. I think plot resetting and getting the villagers you what will make you like your town more. But, if you want to play the game more naturally and have more of an interesting experience, then go ahead and let your villagers do what they want. Who knows, maybe you'll eventually like a villager in your town that you used to hate!

Last edited:
Well, if you want your town to be exactly how you like, then go ahead. I think plot resetting and getting the villagers you what will make you like your town more. But, if you want to play the game more naturally and have more of an interesting experience, then go ahead and let your villagers do what they want. Who knows, maybe you'll eventually like a villager in your town that you used to hate!

TYSM for the advice, Unicorn! I bought some things from you on my old account. It's good to see somebody that's only my age doing so well on the forums!

You know...i've done both. I made a path around my first existing villagers before any of them moved out. That was officially when i started to build my town. The first one to go was Frita. I made sure no one could go in her spot so i could do a 16 cycle, i put a pwp in her spot i believe it was the water pump. Doesn't matter which really, it worked. Others started to leave and i loved where my path was and where their houses were so i then use to do plot resetting so i could get the animals either in those plots or somewhere where i didn't care they destroyed. Plot resetting was soul sucking to me it took me DAYS for Kyle and Bunnie i believe it was like 4 max and Stitches was also too long and just ugh BUT it is worth it, especially for a perfectionist like myself. People believe in resetting their game a lot but ACNL is suppose to be relaxing but also building, i always had the advice to co-operate the house that destroyed this and that into something else or completely move the flowers somewhere else etc. It depends what kinda person you are.

Good luck with whatever you choose! I hope i kinda helped...lol

Plot resetting and buying villagers makes your town much more personal to you because it's what YOU chose the town to be like, not what the game chose. It also make you feel happier and more connected to your town because of the extra hard work you put in to make it how you want it to be, so I would definetely suggest going with a controlled approach over somethingmore relaxed.

I kinda just let the villagers do what they want tbh. I don't plot reset. I also don't really buy villagers off the forums. I also usually let them move away if they want to allow for a new villager to come in. I think that it makes the game interesting. You never know if you may end up liking a villager that moves in or not!

I would definitely lean more to the side of control. If you just let any villager plot wherever they like, you're likely to end up with an unappealing, impersonal town that you aren't going to enjoy a month from now. Plot resetting and trying to find amiibo cards/buy a villager on the forums will probably be frustrating for a little while, but it's better than restarting all the time once you realize your town is too random and not what you really wanted.

I didn't want my town to be "too perfect" - with every villager house lined up perfectly and whatnot, but I did plot reset in order to make sure they didn't put there house anywhere objectionable. It still looks kind of random, but in a good way (imo). And I did a lot of resetting for specific villagers in the beginning, I adopted a few, and I used a couple amiibo cards.

At least plot resetting is easier now than before the update! And there are plenty of shops to buy villagers here.

It all depends on your play style :) It's true that you might end up loving a villager you didn't care for before if you let everything happen naturally. But I find that it doesn't quite feel "your own" if you play that way. Just my two cents c:

Control. Especially since it's nowhere near as hard to plot reset villagers now as it was prior to the update.

I've always enjoyed going with the flow more. It always leaves room for surprises, but if you want your town specific than I'd say take control.

You should lean towards whichever side makes you more happy with your town. I find that if I overly control things, I feel like I spend more time toying with the settings, going through the same dialogue selections, and just generally learning more and more about the meta-game. I don't really feel immersed anymore. It also tends to make me focused on getting my villagers or getting PWPs etc., and abandon my museum and other things in the game. It really boils down to whether you want to focus on designing your houses/town (which I think of as "dream address-town building") or life sim-ing the game and experiencing dailies/weekly surprises.

I think both! It's hard to know what to do with your town at the start, when it's basically bare and there are no major buildings or whatever to help you shape it. Visions can also change really quickly, you may find yourself wanting to change your theme or whatever. At the start I just let whatever villagers move in basically wherever they like. Everyone has dreamies, but I think you can end up being surprised by random move-ins, too! I really love Canberra, and I only moved her in because I needed an uchi PWP. Give all your villagers a chance.

I guess plot resetting is a lot easier now, but like I said, it can be hard to know where you want things to go. My suggestion would be to just play in your town for a little while, get a feel for the different areas, then start turning into a control Nazi, plot where you want your houses, plan PWPs, lay paths. But just give your town a chance to lay an impression on you - the original idea you had may not work as well after you've explored a bit.

I don't think it has to be 100% either way. You might be happiest somewhere in the middle. Maybe you want to choose your villagers but let them move where they want for example. I would go with whatever makes you happiest. That's ultimately why we play video games, right? For enjoyment.

Back