• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Opinions on Hacked Towns?

i think looking at hacked town are cool cause most are done by experienced players looking for a new experience

I agree. I have an unhacked town i've worked on for 3 years that hasn't seen ANY hacks, i do everything for myself and with the help of the bell tree forums for minor things like items :) ANND the only reason i have a hcked town is to try the design aspect of towns and see what I can do with it, and try to make it as beautiful as possible because I've already experienced most of the regular in game experiences!

I've seen people call this cheating and I don't get that. If you were playing a game against someone else then yes but if it's strictly your game and effects no one else go for it. Yes it probably will get boring in time but I partially blame nintendo for that as this game has become more and more about the playing paying for everything and once you do that there's nothing left.
I had every intention of using hacks but then I updated my ds and now I can't. Apparently after a certain update certain ones are no longer compatible(on old 3ds). There are other ways but I don't know enough to be able to do it.

I don't mind them, but I do get tired of seeing stuff in the river and ponds. Some of them are just too chaotic. So much going on. I did see one recently that had Franklin's picnic table in their campsite. I thought that was pretty cool. I've also seen some that used the face standees from special events.

i started hacking because i had been on the game for a while and i needed a bit more from it to keep me going. I use it mainly to help others, i giveaway items to people however i do fix the annoying trees dying and other things to help me achieve my dream town. I hate that people think its effortless because it really isn't you have to go back and forth to fix mistakes and its time consuming and difficult! Just because we get the items differently it doesn't mean we spend any less time on them!

- - - Post Merge - - -

however i have to agree... i hate nothing more than ending up stuck because of someones overboard hacks....

i love hacked towns but i'm not sure how to do it to mine. you are limited to what you can do with your town when it's not hacked and i'm jealous of everyone that can completely make their dream town.

As with anything, hacked towns can be cool when there's some restraint is exercised. I can't jive with towns that are so overhacked that you can't navigate - or are very strict in pathing that it's impossible to explore. Not to mention that there's no need to have every single pwp in one's town.

I'm not a big fan of them, to be honest. Like others have said, however, if restraint is shown, it's not bad. I still prefer non-hacked towns, though.

I actually really like hacked towns. Especially the ones that have bushes/trees/bamboo in the waters, I think it looks cool! I do agree it can be a bit overdone sometimes, I've visited alot of dream towns that were very hard to navigate through, with far too many trees and skinny small paths that you couldn't really see. But still I've visited alot more that weren't like that at all and were gorgeous! I wish I could hack my own town, just a bit to spruce up the landscaping.

I think some dream addresses look really nice hacked.
However, someone I know irl got new leaf a month or so ago and immediately hacked everything and I kinda think that's a waste because you miss out on the entire game idk. I enjoy playing it as it is but that's just my opinion haha.

Hacked towns that only do a little bit of hacking is ok. Give yourself a couple bells or maybe move the Campsite around. I get it. But the people who literally revamp their whole towns is kind of annoying. I did that with my first town. I hacked until my town looked professional. Then I reset because I felt bad haha. In my current town, I hack a little bit, but I decided not to overdo it because I want to feel proud of my town. But it doesn't really bother me if other people hack their towns. It's their town for their fun. If that gives them pleasure, then go ahead. I just feel like setting up your town is one of the most fun parts and when you get done with that, there's not that much left.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Hacking is so easy today, no matter what firmware you do it on. I hopped on my 3ds after 4 years of not playing it and hacked in 30 minutes. So I get the appeal but some people miss out on the fun of the game.

Last edited:
I think some can look nice when they're not over the top. I visited one town where there was just dirt paths leading to everything and tons of trees all next to each other blocking off everywhere else like a wall, I found that quite boring. Whereas there are some I've visited where you can't really tell they're hacked until you see a tree right on the cliff edge or something.

I prefer to get my town inspiration from non hacked towns though, since I have more realistic expectations of what I could do.

I'm definitely cool with them, as long as they're having fun with manipulating their towns... nothing really wrong with hacking imo, I'd definitely hack my town if I could ahahahahaha.... I guess the only problem I have is when they use it to gain profit by selling items and such...

I love seeing hacked towns and i hack on one of my games myself.
Its awesome what people can do with their towns when its hacked!

The ones I see on Tumblr are quite impressive and creative, I have nothing against hacked towns at all. To me, it's more of a personal choice.

I actually love seeing other peoples' hacks and cheats. There's a ton of potential to go over the top and get really creative.

i think hacking gives the hacker sOO much room for creativity, so rather than seeing it as cheating, i see it as an alternative method that people can use to make the towns they envision without having to worry about plotting/planting specifications or lack of igbs. i've never hacked, but i do think hacked towns are some of the prettiest, because their creators can make things exactly how they like.

i think hacking gives the hacker sOO much room for creativity, so rather than seeing it as cheating, i see it as an alternative method that people can use to make the towns they envision without having to worry about plotting/planting specifications or lack of igbs. i've never hacked, but i do think hacked towns are some of the prettiest, because their creators can make things exactly how they like.

I totally agree. I have an already completed town where I got almost all badges, completed my house and town and got all the villagers and items I wanted naturally and how the game intended it to be, completed my encyclopedia and everything. The only reason I hack my town is to create a new experience, not to try and cheat how the game is intended, because I already basically completed the game. I just hack to make a beautiful town others and I can enjoy

I've never actually seen a hacked town, and I didn't even know you could hack them! I'm gonna look some up now, but I don't think I'll ever hack my town. Knowing me, I'll probably feel bad about it later and want to reset lol

^ That’s exactly what I did. I hacked my town and unlocked like everything and then I felt bad and reset my town. Now I hack just a little bit but try and keep it so that I put effort into my town.

Back