• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Speeding: your opinion?

Bcat

👻Spoopy all season long👻
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Candy Corn Halloweaster Egg
What is your opinion on going over the speed limit when driving? Do you do it yourself? Are you annoyed when others do it or don't do it?

Personally I do tend to speed, usually around 5-10 mph over the limit. But I do drive the speed limit just as often (sometimes even a little slower for certain roads/curves)

I don't really mind too much when other drivers speed. But what does annoy me is when I'm going the speed limit and people tailgate the crap out of me. They act downright insulted that I'm just following the law and not going any faster than I feel comfortable. People need to chill out.

Speeding is always a major issue in my city. About two years the city installed speed cameras, they move on occasion, and will take a picture of your plate when speeding. People had a for, saying how much of a Cash cow it will be.... And I'm thinking well if you don't speed, you don't get a ticket. It isn't rocket science.

I do speed, usually no more than 5-10km over. However I do become very conscious with the speed cameras and construction zones. I never speed with this.

I do hate though when I am driving and I am being tail gated by an angry driver who is late or whatever. Then it becomes dangerous for both parties. Especially in the winter when our roads get icy

Its okay to go over the speed limit a little bit when you're on a state route where there aren't many cars, or a country road, but what makes me mad is when people drive over/way under the speed limit on a busy road.

And when you're going to speed limit and people ride your bumper constantly, or if they pass you on a solid line cause they're idiots.

And when you're going to speed limit and people ride your bumper constantly, or if they pass you on a solid line cause they're idiots.
Bonus points for idiocy if they pass a solid line on a blind curve! Or another peeve of mine is when I'm in the slow lane on a multi lane road and people tailgate me. Like... pass me????
This has happened to me several times and there won't even be anyone in the fast lane. They're just tailgating me for the heck of it!

I tend to go 5mph over on back roads & things, but like you said people tailgate when you're doing the speed limit and act like you're holding them up for following the law. It really pisses me off because some people go 70mph on this one road near my house that's out in the country that is supposed to be 45 and they get way too ****ing close to my car every time they come flying around the corner. I wouldn't mind seeing them crash into a tree, truthfully.

I stick to the designated speed limit as much as I possibly can. This ensures that the other drivers will have a pretty smooth travel without going dangerously fast, unless they're the ones who moves faster or slower than that.

Those who go about 10+ km/h slower than the speed limit annoys me quite a lot, especially when the road condition is nice. These drivers are just as dangerous as the fast ones, simply because they get the already impatient drivers even more irritated, which then leads to potentially more driving mistakes. That's one of the reasons why there's a minimum speed limit on highways. If you won't go fast enough, why can't you get someone else to drive for you?

As for peoples who tend to speed through road, the lack of patience might be what drives them to take riskier shortcuts, even though they only shave a few minutes at best. That behavior might be attributed to how stressful the society as a whole has become, especially when some of these bad drivers work for many hours a day and/or don't like wasting their time on driving for God knows how long it takes.

I was in a car accident when I was a kid, so driving too fast can make me have a panic attack, especially if I'm sitting in the front seat. My ex-boyfriend used to drive me nuts because he was constantly driving 10-20 miles over the speed limit and he'd be scrolling through his phone, adjusting his Pandora feed while he was driving. I begged him not to do that because, to me, it's just as dangerous as texting and driving, and he still did it.

Glad I never have to climb inside a car with him driving again.

Last edited:
i get why people do it but it's not rly Great, especially not in cities. on highways i think it's more okay to go a bit over the speed limit but in cities it's more dangerous for pedestrians

also ppl seem to think they have everything under control and that they won't ever get in an accident but that's not tru. when going at a slower speed you get more time to react if something happens, like, going at a safe speed makes u less likely to get in an accident (and if you do get in one it won't be as bad as it would if you were going 150 km/h lol)
people who break traffic laws aren't just putting themselves in danger, everyone around them could get affected if something were to happen. and uh it's better to be ten minutes late than it is to lie dead on a highway :I

Speed laws exist for people's safety, I don't agree with breaking them. It's just putting yourself and other people at risk.

i usually drive 5-10 (usually around 5 though) mph over the speed limit! i think most people do, and tbh people get pretty annoyed if you're driving at speed limit bc that's slow compared to everyone else's pace. i think it's fine to drive at speeds not exactly at the speed limit, as long as its safe. in some cases, it's even more unsafe to insist on driving at the speed limit, because everyone else might be going way faster, and you're just making it more likely that you get into an accident. for example, on the highway, the speed limit is usually around 50-60 mph, but everyone drives around 70- to drive around 50-60 would be kind of unsafe because people expect you to be driving faster, and when you aren't weird proximity / merging issues happen

no matter what you do, just be safe and keep in mind the speeds of the people around you! :)

i think its a bit unecserry but its ok, i cant drive yet but i doubt i'll be speeding

My dad goes a teeny bit over the limit if he's on a highway and it's quite empty, otherwise no, he wouldn't really speed. He says that going a little bit over the limit when the streets are more empty is allowed, but I dunno cause I know nothing about driving.

i like driving fast when i'm on the highway or open country roads, but I keep it to the speed limit (or less) in residential areas and crowded city streets. like others said, its very annoying when people get on your tail and act annoyed that youre going the limit. also, in most places i've been in the US, at least on the interstates and on major throughway roads, you have to go 5 to 10 mph over the limit just to avoid getting run over by the other vehicles!!

i saw mention of speeding cameras, and i find it disturbing and morally wrong that a government would do that. i havent heard of those yet in the US,, although they may be out there, and if theyre not then unfortunately i'm sure they will be soon-- as some areas here do have red light cameras, so speeding cameras are the next logical step for intrusion. where does it end? maybe the government just embeds sensors on our skulls one day to keep an eye on all of us... you know, for safety...

I don't see the issue if it's only a couple of mph over the limit, but it's there for a reason and that's for your safety and the safety of others on the road. Speeding can be a stupid idea, it really can. As someone who can legally learn to drive in less than a month, I'm kinda scared about it having seen how completely senseless some fully liscneced people can be on the road.

i saw mention of speeding cameras, and i find it disturbing and morally wrong that a government would do that. i havent heard of those yet in the US,, although they may be out there, and if theyre not then unfortunately i'm sure they will be soon-- as some areas here do have red light cameras, so speeding cameras are the next logical step for intrusion. where does it end? maybe the government just embeds sensors on our skulls one day to keep an eye on all of us... you know, for safety...
wait what
they use them to give people fines lol and since people don't want to pay they don't speed as much. it's not about integrity or personal lives at all, they just put a camera on a road and put up a sign that's like "yo slow down, if u don't you'll have 2 pay a fine" and people slow down. it's not like anyone is putting a camera in your car to be able to see what you're doing and where you are at any time :I

wait what
they use them to give people fines lol and since people don't want to pay they don't speed as much. it's not about integrity or personal lives at all, they just put a camera on a road and put up a sign that's like "yo slow down, if u don't you'll have 2 pay a fine" and people slow down. it's not like anyone is putting a camera in your car to be able to see what you're doing and where you are at any time :I

here, red light cameras are cash cows for cities/counties using them. some cities have even shortened the duration of yellow lights to enhance the odds of being able to send out red light tickets to people. is it for safety, or for revenues? one county near me took down their red light cameras in recognition of theyre being overly intrusive. its one thing to have an officer on site ticketing people; its quite another to have cameras that people may not even realize are there, and to issue tickets automatically without consideration for the actual circumstances at the scene, by a machine or by someone who is not a law enforcement officer. its also a chilling Big Brother type environment.

in recent years, face-recognition technology has been incorporated into cameras mounted in public areas that have been used by cities hosting high-security events. where will it all head? it's a slippery slope...

SqTFD5p.jpg

There's a crazy intersection that all high school kids take to the community mall, it's very dangerous imo and terrible drivers are always speeding. My friend was coming back from the mall with her sister when some crazy guy (he was going about 90? in a local intersection!) hit her. He only hit her forearm, thank god, and then sped away by taking a very dangerous turn. She didn't get justice for that, and ended up getting a cast on her arm for a few months.

Stuff like this has happened multiple times within my friends/family. I hate speeding drivers. I hate unsafe drivers. Don't drive if you don't know your limits.

i usually speed a little over the limit just to keep pace. often in the highways around me most people are going 5-10 mph above the speed limit and so going the exact speed limit tends to break that flow and cause issues with passing and merging.

though once i'm back on city streets i stick to the limit more rigidly cus of all the traffic lights, speed cameras, random bikers/jaywalkers. it also just keeps the pace since everyone will be doing the same usually.

Back