• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What do you do with your main room?

The_Storyteller

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Hi all,

So I'm focusing on styling my characters' houses at the moment and I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I'm not sure what to do with the main rooms. I always find them the hardest since they have all the doorways in them and you lose a lot of space - I feel like you get restricted in ways that you don't with the other rooms.

What do you do with your main room? Are your houses thematic, or do you just set up rooms with whatever furniture and items you like, or find interesting? I'm interested in your thoughts and your styling!

I'm trying to do my main room like a fancy antique sitting room. For my mayor I try to do each room the way I like, no matter the theme. I find it more fun that way. For side characters I like their rooms to be themed tho. I think a tip for the main room is to try to make things symmetrical, like a table on one side and the same table on the other side for example, and plan out what you'll do for each corner of the room.

I am in the process of getting all the furniture I need for a red sleek room. I think I'll make my main room themed.

i like making my main room into something meant for the public. for example, my mayor's main room is an art classroom because she teaches art on the side! some other ideas i like are making a library main room, school main room, and cafe main room (though this one is pretty common and kind of cliche). whatever you personally like a lot, try thinking of how you can make a public space based on what you like. if you like working out (can't relate lol), you can make your main room a gym for example, or if you like playing music, you can make your main room a concert hall.

that's how i generally choose rooms- hopefully i gave you some ideas! :blush:

I made mine into a courtyard/garden. :)

I like to make mine look like a living room but more antique and vintage

Mine main room is a very kitchey-70's living room.
I love it!

My main room is currently a mix of clothes on display on one side, and a kind of living room-type set up on the other side. I'm hoping to make it look like a garden somewhere down the line, and move the living room to a side room later on. :)

My main room is sort of a vintage vibe cabinesque living room. I did the whole symmetric flow which can be boring and rigid, but.. I want a sense of homeliness.

Plus I set out some tea and a casserole! :)

My mayor's main room is a straight up living-room/kitchenette combo. It only has 2 doorways though, which makes it less awkward than if you had all 3 doorways. I really enjoy layouts that force you to make a more circuitous route (but still feel open because you can get to everything). I hate when there's a sofa but you can't sit on it, or a music player that you can't access. My side character has a restaurant-themed main room, though I might change it into a home theater. My (old) witch mayor used to have a main room that was an apothecary/study (but she only had two other rooms in her whole house).

These ideas are all awesome! I've seen some great apartment style houses, and I was thinking of going with something like that - it will be distinctly different from Willow's laid back condo!

I really like the idea of making the main room public. Since it's the first place you walk into it makes sense for it to be public - I'd never really thought of it that way. Since it kind of has a hotelesque vibe to it, I was thinking of maybe doing a lobby but I'm not sure yet. I've rediscovered my love for HHD and have been using it to try out different furniture combinations and themes. I can't wait to start playing around with furniture and items. Woo, decorating!

Right now mine is a living room bedroom combination. However, I'm thinking of redoing it into a library/living room and having a separate bedroom.

I'm obsessed with collecting, so my main room is the lovely series in ruby ^.^

i almost always make my main rooms living rooms, but i made my side character's main room a combination kitchen/living room and it turned out pretty cute imo

Back