Villagers dilemma: to jock or not to jock?

What should I do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vestas

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I created a new town a couple of days ago and I'm starting to choose my dream villagers and trying to have one of each personality type to unlock several different projects, but it's turning out to be more complicated than I thought.

As for now, I think I'm pretty much set on having Vesta (normal), Flora (peppy), Zucker (lazy), Shep (smug), Hopper (cranky), Deirdre (uchi) and Elise (snooty). I might change my mind about the last two, but that's not what worries me.

Now, I'm set on seven villagers, which means I have three left and I don't have a jock villager yet. I'd really love to have Tia (normal) in my town, since I had her in my old one and I really loved her. That means I have two left. Another animal I would really love to have is Sylvana (normal), since I'd like to have at least one of the "new" villagers and she's the cutest one imo. So now I'm left with only one more free villager and zero jocks. Problem is, I absolutely hate all jock villagers, but I need at least one of them to unlock some projects (specifically the instrument shelter, the fire pit and maybe the torch). The only one I can kind of stand is Bam, but he's a deer and so is Deirdre and I don't want to have two animals of the same species in my town, so that's a no. Boone and Poncho aren't that bad either, so if I had to choose a jock I'd probably go for either one of them.

What to do? I think I have three choices at this point: I could settle for either Boone or Poncho, even though I'm not crazy about them; I could try to get Rowan (jock villager I currently have in my town) and other future non-permanent jocks to ask me to unlock those projects, even though it could not work; or I could just forget about those project and get another villager I like, no matter what their personality is.

What would you do if you were me? Also, there will likely be a majority of female villagers in my town, does the disproportion of male and female villagers usually bother you? And what about having 3+ villagers with the same personality (normal, in my case)? Thank you so much in advance and sorry if this turned out to be quite long!

Last edited:
I'd say keep any old jock until you get the PWPs they offer that you think you'll want for your town, then get rid of them and replace them with one of your preferred villagers, unless you settle on a jock in your top 10, then just go straight for them.

I'd definitely recommend unlocking all the jock PWPs before making any final decisions about your villagers! Even if you don't particularly care for them now, you never know. You don't want to end up with ten (non-jock) permanent villagers and then decide you really do want an instrument shelter after all!

If you really hate jock villagers, don't force yourself to keep one just for the sake of balancing your town! In my own opinion though, jock villagers are surprisingly delightful and they really do grow on you. :blush: I used to hate them until I actually took the trouble to befriend them, and now they're my favourite male personality type haha!

I've had four normal villagers in my town at one time, and that was about the point when I decided that four was just too repetitive for my liking. Three didn't really bother me too much but I ended up going down to two to make room for personalities I didn't have. Personally I could manage three of the same personality in one town as long as there was a good variation with my other villagers! Gender imbalance doesn't bother me as long as, again, there's personality variation either way.

I usually like to have at least one of each villager in my town. What you could do is rotate out jocks until you get Poncho (or Boone). Then keep him until you get all the PWP requests you want. Then you can kick him out and have a villager that you like better. Yes, it would bother me if I had 3+ of the same personality. The most I'll go is 2. But if 3+ floats your boat, then by all means do it.

Get a jock villager.

Get the PWPs!

Once you have them unlocked then you can send them on their way.

Instrument shelter and fire pit are so awesome!! It's really helpful sometimes to know if it is going to rain or snow.

Good luck!!

Either get any jock that you like to have one of each personality or just to unlock their PWPs then move them out.

Thank you so much to all those who voted and answered! I'll probably just keep the jock villager I currently have (Rowan) until I manage to unlock the projects I want and then kick him out as soon as possible, lol.

Last edited:
Back