• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Reproductive Health Equity Act

Do you support Oregon's new abortion expansion law?

• I'm pro-life. I would never support such a thing

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No, but I am pro-choice.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Yes, but only citizens should be covered.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Yes, I support it by all means.

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely pro-choice, but practically giving abortions away is pretty ridiculous imo. I mean, it's definitely not something that should be taken lightly. And granted most people put a ton of thought into it before actually going through with it, there will also definitely be people who will abuse this and not care whether or not they get pregnant anymore because hey, they can get rid of it for free. Healthcare is not a right, nobody and I mean nobody is entitled to it. And abortion definitely falls under that.

And don't get me started on the whole undocumented/illegal immigrant thing. Because I truly believe they shouldn't even be able to get healthcare in general until they're documented, let alone free s***

A better solution to all of this would be to make contraceptives and other forms of protection more accessible. We need to find ways to prevent the problem before it arises.

I would agree to this if I were pro-choice and pro-Obamacare. But I am already against abortion and free healthcare anyway, so I wouldn't support this.

About Oregon's law, I say it's already bad enough that they're letting people have abortions for free at taxpayers' expense, as some forms of healthcare should be restricted. But the fact that they're allowing illegal immigrants to get it, and the fact they're allowing anyone to get late-term abortions and sex-selective abortions, that's when they're going off the deepend. I never thought they would be defending abortions for all reasons, including discriminatory reasons like sex-selective abortions. And I don't see any reason for abortions from months 7 to 9. But the illegal immigrant part, that's when the law is extreme.

Your opinion that abortions should not be free is fair enough. But do you think women just decide whether or not they'll get pregnant? If they practice safe sex it's not their fault, it's just nature

Well if they practice it then they would know that they are taking the risk to do this, and understand that still an accident can happen.

(Dang I've pretty much spent the whole day here :/ ok enough abortion, abortion is bad just try to avoid it thanks)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would agree to this if I were pro-choice and pro-Obamacare. But I am already against abortion and free healthcare anyway, so I wouldn't support this.

About Oregon's law, I say it's already bad enough that they're letting people have abortions for free at taxpayers' expense, as some forms of healthcare should be restricted. But the fact that they're allowing illegal immigrants to get it, and the fact they're allowing anyone to get late-term abortions and sex-selective abortions, that's when they're going off the deepend. I never thought they would be defending abortions for all reasons, including discriminatory reasons like sex-selective abortions. And I don't see any reason for abortions from months 7 to 9. But the illegal immigrant part, that's when the law is extreme.

I like how our news reporter has the best opinions.

I agree with you whole-heartedly on the illegal immigrant part. I just don't see how anyone can truly believe that someone who comes here illegally deserves the same benefits as those who came here legally. It makes no sense.

Not a surprise coming from Oregon. They did legalize physician-assisted suicide.

Sex-selective abortions are a slippery slope imo.

today on bell tree forums: abortion

oh honey this is a very common discussion topic; these have been on TBT since the dawn of time.

My religion does not like abortion, but I am still pro choice. I agree here, religious logic and logic of the law should be thought about differently. If one does not like abortion due to their religion, that is fine. But preventing others from getting an abortion by law based on religious beliefs isn't fair to all of those who do want one.

Exactly! That's what people don't get. Their religion says they can't get an abortion. It's not my religion, therefore I don't have to follow the rules of it.

I don't think free abortions is a good solution. Free and easy access to contraceptives/condoms would be a lot better in my opinion. People who want to have sex can still have sex while not getting pregnant and pro-life people won't see it as murder because a baby wouldn't be in the process of forming.

I agree that free and easy access to contraceptives would be a good solution. Ironically, the people who are anti-abortion tend to also against contraceptives.

there will also definitely be people who will abuse this and not care whether or not they get pregnant anymore because hey, they can get rid of it for free

People will literally abuse anything they can. Just because that's something people do does not mean we should take away services.

Well that's just your opinion :rolleyes: there is still people against it, y'know.

No, it's a fact that abortion will always happen.

What I believe started as a simple: Do you like this idea or no?+Short reason...Has turned into what seems to be a war u.u"

What I believe started as a simple: Do you like this idea or no?+Short reason...Has turned into what seems to be a war u.u"

Topics like this tend to become a war over opinions, sadly. Everyone has different thoughts on this which people obviously are gonna argue over.

Topics like this tend to become a war over opinions, sadly. Everyone has different thoughts on this which people obviously are gonna argue over.

I can see everybody's perspective, where their reasoning comes from, and I respect all views on this topic. Some just seem a little too hostile and/or aggressive. Or maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Yes they are cheap, but some people still can't afford it. The people who want to have an abortion are often those who cannot handle the financial burden of having a child. They are probably scrambling for money and want to focus on buying more necessities. It's not only condoms either. If a person is being raped by a man, they are not just gonna ask "hey can you put this condom on first?" Birth control pills, IUDs, and etc. can prevent a person from getting pregnant in these unexpected situations.

If you can't afford 50? to spend on a condom you should probably get your **** in order and fix that instead of demanding someone else pay for you.

I can see everybody's perspective, where their reasoning comes from, and I respect all views on this topic. Some just seem a little too hostile. Or maybe that's just me.

Yeah some people go a bit extreme with their opinions :/ but nothing too bad right now

If you can't afford 50? to spend on a condom you should probably get your **** in order and fix that instead of demanding someone else pay for you.

Exactly, what's the point of taking the risk when you can't afford a piece of bread?

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of things, there's roughly 11 million undocumented immigrants in the US currently, lets assume 50% of them are female, and that 50% of those women are of age to get pregnant / able to get pregnant (this is just a guess, I couldn't find any statistics to back this up), that leaves 2.75 million. It is estimated that roughly 2% of women will have an abortion in any given year, that's only 55,000 (roughly) a year, max.

That's such a tiny cost, considering $938 billion of taxpayers money goes towards healthcare, a lot of that towards preventable illnesses, caused by alcohol, diet, harmful drugs etc. Not counting the amount of taxpayers money that goes towards conflict.

I just don't see why "the taxpayers dollar" is such a big deal here, it's a tiny amount being paid out. Saving millions paying for the unwanted children that would be born if free abortions were not available.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's be glad this isn't the YouTube comments section 0-0"

Most people here are civilized with their thoughts on this which is okay, even if I disagree at least they aren't screaming in my face or nothing. YouTube is just cringey kids acting like they're cool, nothing like this :)

If you cannot afford to be safe during sex, then you shouldn't be having it at all. Contraceptives aren't 100% sure to prevent pregnancy. In fact, many accidental pregnancies involved condoms being used, but not working.

I agree with the quoted portion. If you can't afford it, don't do it.

I agree with this completely. Don't have sex if you can't afford the possibility of getting pregnant. If people thought more like that, then there would hardly be a need for abortion. Sadly, people are not thinking of the consequences.

Exactly, what's the point of taking the risk when you can't afford a piece of bread?
(Sorry I don't like saying the word >~<)

If you're uncomfortable with saying the word sex, you probably need a couple of years before talking about abortion.

I agree with this completely. Don't have sex if you can't afford the possibility of getting pregnant. If people thought more like that, then there would hardly be a need for abortion. Sadly, people are not thinking of the consequences.
Yup, so in my opinion abortion not being free unless in a uncontrollable situation is a good way to solve this. People who wanna do abortion can still do it, and not abuse it as well. People who are too poor to afford it won't have an unwanted pregnancy in the first place. Immigrants will still have to pay, and emergency situations can still abort regardless of financial status.

Why not agree? It's a good idea. (Unless you're so extreme with opinion, jeez okay then...)

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you're uncomfortable with saying the word sex, you probably need a couple of years before talking about abortion.

I can talk whatever I want. If I don't wanna say it I don't have to.

In regards to the whole ownership of a child, even if I only support abortion for emergency issues (rape, fatal pregnancy, baby won't survive), I agree that nobody should be forced to have children. I'm a pro-lifer, but I don't want to have kids. It's too much responsibility, and I am bad at responsibility. And what's more painful than taking care of babies is taking care of teenagers. That would be a nightmare.

Okay, I'm glad to see we agree on this.

In regards to the whole ownership of a child, even if I only support abortion for emergency issues (rape, fatal pregnancy, baby won't survive), I agree that nobody should be forced to have children. I'm a pro-lifer, but I don't want to have kids. It's too much responsibility, and I am bad at responsibility. And what's more painful than taking care of babies is taking care of teenagers. That would be a nightmare.

....If abortion was only legal in certain circumstances people would be forced into having children they don't want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back