• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Live-Action Deathnote Remake

I remember reading the manga and watching the anime and I enjoyed them. I'm not a fan of live actions in general so I probably wont watch it... although it does kinda make me want to rewatch the anime.

I remember reading the manga and watching the anime and I enjoyed them. I'm not a fan of live actions in general so I probably wont watch it... although it does kinda make me want to rewatch the anime.

Yeah, I feel like the best thing that can come out of this is renewed interest in the anime and anime in general. Otakus have become a dying breed.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good. Since it's in the shadow of the anime/manga, I think it will be heavily criticized. It looks okay and I'm looking forward to watching it. I don't mind a retelling of Death Note. They already made live action movies anyway

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, because L was definitely black in the original.

agreed. Plus the original L wasn't even full Japanese. he was from the same orphanage as mello and near who are not Japanese. They're from England

AND the director of this movie is Asian for Christ's sake

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good. Since it's in the shadow of the anime/manga, I think it will be heavily criticized. It looks okay and I'm looking forward to watching it. I don't mind a retelling of Death Note. They already made live action movies anyway

- - - Post Merge - - -

agreed. Plus the original L wasn't even full Japanese. he was from the same orphanage as mello and near who are not Japanese. They're from England

AND the director of this movie is Asian for Christ's sake

I was not aware of this. This only renews my faith in this movie.

Light is supposed to look absolutely flawless but in the remake he just looks like some little baby man

I mean I guess if they want to be original they could adjust the story to have this light be some kid who got bullied in school and has more reason to punish criminals?

Light is supposed to look absolutely flawless but in the remake he just looks like some little baby man

I mean I guess if they want to be original they could adjust the story to have this light be some kid who got bullied in school and has more reason to punish criminals?

I think you're forgetting that Light isn't a traditional baby name in the States or in Japan, for matter, but I read that in some translations Light was referred to as Hikari which is a unisex name that translates to "light", although I have no idea how accurate this information is. So the character's name will undoubtedly be change to some variation of Luke or Luca, which translates to "light" in Latin.

Then again, I could just be overthinking this and they could keep his original name because of all the stupid stuff people name their kids now. At my little sister's art show, I saw a piece artwork that had been submitted by a student whose first name was "Blessins". *Facepalm*

I agree in part. A lot of the appeal to Light's character is that he's not some juvenile delinquent at the bottom of the social ladder. He's a golden boy. Model student, good looking and popular, polite and full of integrity. Literally the last person anyone would suspect Kira to be. and that makes him so much more interesting and compelling as a character.

Making him a bullied outcast imo is the obvious thing to do. But it feels like a dumbing down of him to me. It shows his sociopathic tenancies and his desire to play god far more to have him merely witness injustice and take it upon himself to fix it.

I think you're forgetting that Light isn't a traditional baby name in the States or in Japan, for matter, but I read that in some translations Light was referred to as Hikari which is a unisex name that translates to "light", although I have no idea how accurate this information is. So the character's name will undoubtedly be change to some variation of Luke or Luca, which translates to "light" in Latin.

Then again, I could just be overthinking this and they could keep his original name because of all the stupid stuff people name their kids now. At my little sister's art show, I saw a piece artwork that had been submitted by a student whose first name was "Blessins". *Facepalm*

His name is going to be Light Turner in the movie, from what I've heard.

I just watched it yesterday. warning for slight spoilers: They almost totally rewrote the story. To some that could be good but to me it wasn't.. They should have just made a totally original story, and kept nothing referencing the anime in it. It probably would have been better because then you won't be comparing it to the series. It just felt so broken, it didn't feel like Death Note at all. Light was super dumb-- he literally was a huge baby with way he screamed so much & kept running away from L and practically crying about the Death note under pressure lmao. Ridiculous. And he even was so ready to tell anyone close to him about the Death Note, like his girlfriend, his father, and L. He tells someone pretty much the day after he gets it. What a blubbering idiot. I am SO upset with how stupid they made him-- the total opposite of what he was in the anime, which was a super genius! Sure maybe he had some childish traits, but he was never so babyish, tactless, and pitiful. And L seemed nowhere near as mysterious, careful, or insightful as he actually is. He would just say something, with what looked like no thought, and it was always assumed correct. I think the actors' skills had a little part to do with it, but i'm sure it was mostly the writing inaccurately portraying the original characters @__@.. Not to mention the unnecessary romantic plot in the movie when there was little to no romance in the anime except for Misa's one-sided crush. But eh. I guess you cant have a True Modern American Film(tm) without a punchable protagonist & unnecessary romantic plot. Oh and I love how it opens with football and cheerleading scenes.. ya know.. to establish it takes place in an american school.. AND THERES NO POTATO CHIP SCENE! You can say I'm a bit disappointed, lol.

Im rewatching the anime now for the first time in a few years, because I want to purify myself after watching that netflix remake. -__-

Last edited:
Yeah, I was definitely not fan of what they did to Light in this movie. I was expecting to see an Americanized version of a teenage sociopath. Sort of like in Hannibal Rising (yes, I know that movie is terrible), but as soon as I heard him scream like a little girl when Ryuk arrived, I knew things were going downhill.
That being said, I didn't completely hate the movie. I liked the twist of Mia, who I'm guessing was supposed to represent Misa, being the smart, sociopathic one, and I'm disappointed that she died. But I would be open to the idea of prequel/sequel as it was glaringly obvious that Light was not the first human to use Ryuk's Death Note and I am interested to see what happened there. Plus, we have no idea what's going to happen to Light because the movie had a pretty open ending.

Last edited:
well... that was interesting. i liked the movie way more than i thought i would. idk if i should put this in a spoiler but i will just in case (and also because it's really long lmao)

the movie was very well made, the trailer made me think it would Suck a lot but it really didn't. i think it would have sucked so much more if they had tried to make the movie much more like the manga/anime and i'm glad they didn't do that. they changed a lot of things but i think that overall it worked out very well, especially if you think of it as an interpretation of the original instead of just a movie adaption.
the message/story/whatever definitely changed a lot and idk how i feel about all of it.
the way they changed the characters was interesting (even though i have many problems with all that, too) and i think the way the story turned out was kinda good even though it really didn't have the Genius Fight between L and light, which changed things a lottttt.

idk how to feel about this:
  • light. i think there were a lot of good changes made to him as a character but a lot of things were weird. he is definitely not the same character as light yagami, light turner is like waayyyy less about brains and more about feelings.
  • the removal of the shinigami eyes. made things less complicated but also made some things make less sense.
good things:
  • cutting out unnecessary and complicated things that wouldn't add to the story. (more death notes, owners and shinigamis, mello and near, how light figured out the rules and limitations of the book etc.)
  • Mia played a much bigger role in this movie. her character was changed entirely and i really really liked it. some things could have been better but i still really like this change and i think it was really well done.
  • L was still definitely still L but he was changed in ways that improved him imo. he's still a genius w a Mysterious Past and his personality and quirks are very much the same but i like how he was made to feel more emotion and be more human i guess. it is good that he didn't die.

bad/weird/stupid things and things that dont make sense:
  • they watched the live broadcast on a computer i mean come on..... you could have watched it from other places in the world. it's not a huge deal but it was a really clumsy way to make the anime/manga scenario into something that'd fit the movie. also the original took place in the early to mid 2000's while this movie seemed to take place around this year. electronics have really changed since the original and they really looked over a lot of the
  • change of genre, i especially thought of this in the beginning of the movie (like first 20 minutes) when it felt a lot like a horror movie. not a huge thing but i would have preferred if they hadn't tried to make it into a horror movie.
  • light was really irresponsible and stupid in the beginning. he didn't have any security for the notebook either. the original was more about the game between L and light, this move was basically light going "oh crap wtf" after being tracked down by L because light made fifty million stupid things and didn't even try to be smart.
  • light should not have been able to kill watari, it clearly goes against the rules of the death note. it could have been fixed super easily by just giving watari a known surname but nope.
  • the ways they changed the notebook. i definitely understand why they changed a lot of things and i think many things were good but several changes were bad, unnecessary or weird. i don't get why they added the seven day rule, it didn't make a lot of sense and made me get a bad horror movie vibe from it lol
  • ryuk. not everything about him sucked but like... idk. like, ryuk was made into a monster in the movie while in the manga he was portrayed in a more neutral way and i liked that more. i didnt like the horror movie version of him i guess. in the movie he pressured light into killing people and apparently he went around with the death note, giving it to different people all the time while in the anime the dropping of the notebook was a mistake and ryuk didn't make light do anything, he just let things happen for his own amusement.
  • the ending was not very good imo.
i tried to not be annoyed by things n not compare it to the original too much and i think it made me enjoy the movie more lol. the romance thing was interesting.
the ending was weird, i get that it was supposed to be sad and kind of left open for interpretation but i really think they could have done something that would have been better.

Back