• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Live-Action Deathnote Remake

primandimproper

Transgender Trainwreck
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0008-9983-6893
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Tasty Cake
Isabelle
I'm not sure if you guys have heard, but Netflix is releasing an American remake of the live-action Deathnote movie. I'm rewatching the anime right now to refresh my memory before the movie airs on August 25.

Will anyone else be watching it? What are your thoughts on the trailers they've released?

hoooooo boy. I was really excited when I heard this was coming out, but judging by the trailer it looks disappointing to me. The plot and characterization looks all wrong and it doesn't feel like Death Note.

I will say that I do love how Ryuck looks!

I watched like the first episode of the anime and I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous Ryuk looks xDDD

Definitely not an anime for me lmao

hoooooo boy. I was really excited when I heard this was coming out, but judging by the trailer it looks disappointing to me. The plot and characterization looks all wrong and it doesn't feel like Death Note.

I will say that I do love how Ryuck looks!

Yeah, from what I read online it's supposed to be more of re-imagining. Like what if it had taken place in America instead?

So I'm not too sure how closely it will follow the anime, but I'm curious to see what they do with it. Plus, I read comic books, so I'm pretty used to the movies pretty much abandoning the source material. Lol.

cvhfghfghxgss it looks so stupid and bad. why do they make it take place in the us? why even make a live action movie of it like i dont get it
i think the awkward and weird things in the manga and anime are going to be worse in live action. the characters are ridiculous and i think it will be hard to take it seriously

If anything I am looking forward to how they do the creepy aspects, I only ever saw some of the anime so who knows? Netflix has been pretty good with it's content so I might give it a shot.

It's a whole new universe. The Death Note drama was a whole new universe. That was a good show, the drama. Netflix has consistently pumped out good content, so I'm willing to give this a chance. I'd rather something new than the same **** over and over again.

Yeah, from what I read online it's supposed to be more of re-imagining. Like what if it had taken place in America instead?

So I'm not too sure how closely it will follow the anime, but I'm curious to see what they do with it. Plus, I read comic books, so I'm pretty used to the movies pretty much abandoning the source material. Lol.

It's a whole new universe. The Death Note drama was a whole new universe. That was a good show, the drama. Netflix has consistently pumped out good content, so I'm willing to give this a chance. I'd rather something new than the same **** over and over again.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily upset that things are different, because things need to be different. It shouldn't be a carbon copy of the anime, because if so: why even make it? You're not doing anything new or different.

However, I feel that from what I've seen in the trailer these changes aren't for the better. I feel like it's almost a dumbing down of the original.
I will admit though, that when I heard of what they were changing for the drama I thought they were bad decisions but they seemed to pull it off.

I am still willing to give it a chance though. A lot of good movies have had completely trash trailers- so here's hoping! (not gonna get my hopes too high though.lol)

cvhfghfghxgss it looks so stupid and bad. why do they make it take place in the us? why even make a live action movie of it like i dont get it
i think the awkward and weird things in the manga and anime are going to be worse in live action. the characters are ridiculous and i think it will be hard to take it seriously

I don't see what's so ridiculous about two sociopaths, one with a very obvious God complex, going to war. I mean, when you look at it like that it's basically the same as the Sherlock Holmes series and they're an international phenomena.

I never got into Deathnote so I can't say I'm interested.

I don't see what's so ridiculous about two sociopaths, one with a very obvious God complex, going to war. I mean, when you look at it like that it's basically the same as the Sherlock Holmes series and they're an international phenomena.

yea what i meant was that to make it not super ridiculous you have to make it work w/ the stuff around it. it's kind of like if they decided to give some characters anime hair, it'd look super out of place and stupid unless they do a great job, and judging by the trauler it's not going to be very good :|

bbc sherlock worked in the first seasons because of all the stuff around it. imo it stopped working in the later seasons because of crap writing and bc of how they tried so hard to make every change in the series impossible to guess before for everyone but Our Holy God Sherlock which made everything suck. idk if im explaining this in a way that makes sense but dhdkskahdjaksxvsszgzdv

Just another typical day in Hollywood, Asian media being whitewashed. And usually the end products are laughably bad.

I usually find live action of manga/anime that have fantasy elements to them to be a little silly in general though. Even the Asian live action ones are not that great to be begin with. The only thing that translates well are like those high school romance manga.

Last edited:
Just another typical day in Hollywood, Asian media being whitewashed. And usually the end products are laughably bad.

I usually find live action of manga/anime that have fantasy elements to them to be a little silly in general though. Even the Asian live action ones are not that great to be begin with. The only thing that translates well are like those high school romance manga.

I strongly encourage you to watch the Rurouni Kenshin live-action film adaptions staring Takeru Satoh and Emi Takei because those movies are a work of freaking art.

I've seen the anime, original live action films, and read the manga - and I actually like the live action films best of the three. I was initially interested in seeing the Netflix remake but I'm not sure about the casting choice of Nat Wolff as Light.

Oh boy another murica version. I'm really suspicious of this man. I really liked the manga when it was out and while the theme might be international it just seems like it'd be another Ghost in the shell whitewash fail.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah.. I don't watch a lot of live actions or similar adaptions because yeah a lot just becomes a bit silly, unless they have exceptional actors.

Also regardless of whatever new skin color, I find it amusing they just have to try and make something that will appeal "worldwide" or stuff.. I don't know.

Oh well I guess they can't do worse than Memoirs of a Geisha Like how many Japanese actors did they have there really. Using random Asian stars otherwise to get an audience? I love the book (and is interested in history a lot) but that film was just wtf.

Yeah, because L was definitely black in the original.

Yeah, im pretty sure they meant caucasian.
Either way, this isnt white washing. Its a western adaptation since its set in the US, not Japan.

See here's the thing: I don't care that the character's races are different. I care that the characters' personalities don't seem to be intact or at least not as good and interesting as their anime counterparts.

Back