• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendogs nostalgia

Bcat

👻Spoopy all season long👻
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Candy Corn Halloweaster Egg
I dug out my old dsi from the closet the other day and booted up my copy of nintendogs just for nostalgia.

Nintendogs was the first game I ever bought for my ds (which was also my first gaming console. I bought them both with my own money)

I booted it up and my dog was totally fine- She's a german shepard and her name is Snikers. See I wanted her name to be Snickers but it was 1 letter too long and apparently to 10 year old me 'Snikers' > 'Snicker'.
She didn't even seem to realize that it's been like 8 years since we've seen each other (the date was correct too, reading as 2017) she was still full and quenched and her coat was beautiful? Yeah I dunno

I'm having so much fun playing it again and feeling that good old nostalgia! It's really such a pure, simple game.
So I was wondering if anyone else here wanted to reminisce about their good times with their pixelated pooches.

Tell me about your experience with this classic ds game! Walk down memory lane with me and tell me all about your digital doggos!

Well I didn't have Nintendogs until I was about 11 years old and I never really got into it. I did however get a game called Purr Pals for the DS which is like the same thing but with cats (cause I'm also a crazy cat lady) and a bit less to do. I still like to play it once in a while.

Well I didn't have Nintendogs until I was about 11 years old and I never really got into it. I did however get a game called Purr Pals for the DS which is like the same thing but with cats (cause I'm also a crazy cat lady) and a bit less to do. I still like to play it once in a while.

I had a cat game that was actually for the gameboy and I played it on my ds. It wasn't very good though so I lost interest in it quickly.

Even as a kid I always loved cats more than dogs and wished they would make nintencats. Essentially, I wanted nintendogs+cats, but I never bought that on 3ds. (I'm seriously considering trying to find it used now just because I do love kitties so much and tiny me always wanted it)

I had a cat game that was actually for the gameboy and I played it on my ds. It wasn't very good though so I lost interest in it quickly.

Even as a kid I always loved cats more than dogs and wished they would make nintencats. Essentially, I wanted nintendogs+cats, but I never bought that on 3ds. (I'm seriously considering trying to find it used now just because I do love kitties so much and tiny me always wanted it)

Was the cat game on Gameboy "Catz" by any chance? I remember I had that when I was about 12, I got it because all of my friends had a DS and Nintendogs and I didn't, so it was a way for me to feel like I was involved with them. That game was definitely pretty bad, there wasn't much to do and the music was horrendous (one track consisted purely of meows with some other sound effects). Not a very good game, but seeing you mention a cat game on Gameboy brought the memories rushing back to me lol.

I loved Nintendogs too. I think I was 14 when I eventually got it, and I remember doing the obstacle courses repeatedly for money in the hopes of renovating my apartment to something fancier, and also ridiculously expensive. I don't think I ever got there, I used to get so mad when I messed up on the competition, because I remember that if you did poorly you would be demoted to the lower ranks and have to work your way back up again for another chance. It drove me nuts! I see now that it was weird path-finding with the AI that made my dog run off in other directions, god it really frustrated me back then lmao.

But I definitely had a lot of fun with that game too. I had a few dogs, my first one was a husky called Shiba, I must've been inspired by our neighbour's dog or something. There was one time where I did lend my game to my brother's friend, who was the younger brother of a boy in my class that I was fond of, and when he returned the game to me he told me that his older brother got another dog, asking if that was okay. It was a yorkie named Maggie, I thought that was super adorable so needless to say I kept her.

It's been a long time since I've even booted up the game but I consider it to be a fairly large part of my early teens. That and Sims 2, I had a blast with both of those games, as simple as they were. They were charming!

man that brings back memories. i had a bunch of nintendogs games because i always wanted a dog as a kid but i couldn't get one since my apartment didn't allow it. i remember resetting a lot for some reason, and it seemed to affect how well the dogs responded to me. in a fresh game, they would instantly come when called but by the fourth reset, i couldn't even get passed the tutorial where you had to say their names because they wouldn't listen and it would render the game unplayable for me. i never did find out why that was lol.

That brings back so many memories. Nintendogs (i had all 3) and Wild World were the only games i had for my DS. I'm with ---, i also resetted a lot or gave my dogs away usually because of my voice changing and they couldn't understand me. That was suppose to be the whole feature yano? But one day, totally broke me, when i decided to give my favourite dog away. Her name was Lucky, she was also a German Shepard who wore the lucky collar, and it hurts to remember and even trying to recreate what we had is like pouring lemon AND salt into a wound. She had fleas and was mighty...angry, I washed her and i brushed her i went to pet her and she bit me still. I thought she hated me so i got rid of her and reset the game, it wasn't the same since. I miss the music box feature and finding music on walks as well as the other toys like the rope (i mean come on, that made dogs FLY) and the skipping rope? I wish they brought them into Nintendogs + Cats. It would be epic. Nintendogs is definitely one i will never forget and so underrated. I also agree about Sims 2, i never got into Sims 1. Sims 2, Nintendogs and Wild World was my childhood and i have very fond memories of each.

I don't miss Nintendogs because as i mentioned i have Nintendogs+Cats but i am one of those "i wish this was put in and that taken away" sorta people but just like then Nintendogs+Cats and ACNL will always be part of my life and i am very fond of those games above all.

Last edited:
Was the cat game on Gameboy "Catz" by any chance? I remember I had that when I was about 12, I got it because all of my friends had a DS and Nintendogs and I didn't, so it was a way for me to feel like I was involved with them. That game was definitely pretty bad, there wasn't much to do and the music was horrendous (one track consisted purely of meows with some other sound effects). Not a very good game, but seeing you mention a cat game on Gameboy brought the memories rushing back to me lol.

I loved Nintendogs too. I think I was 14 when I eventually got it, and I remember doing the obstacle courses repeatedly for money in the hopes of renovating my apartment to something fancier, and also ridiculously expensive. I don't think I ever got there, I used to get so mad when I messed up on the competition, because I remember that if you did poorly you would be demoted to the lower ranks and have to work your way back up again for another chance. It drove me nuts! I see now that it was weird path-finding with the AI that made my dog run off in other directions, god it really frustrated me back then lmao.

lol I googled catz and that was it actually! I remember very little about it except that I didn't like it very much and didn't keep it long. That's cool that you had it too!

I really wanted the beach remodel, but it was ridiculously expensive. My dogs were usually agility champions and I remember being endlessly frustrated with them screwing up and moving down a level too! Playing it now however I'm seeing that the biggest problem totally is the fact that they run off in the opposite direction and end up doing an obstacle out of order.
I actually cheated it though and discovered that if you just hold down the stylus you don't have to do the tapping nonsense and they just do the obstacles on their own.

I also remember being frustrated by the obedience trials. Mainly because the voice recognition was hokey. Like they would do a trick perfectly fine on command at home but completely blow the contest and do the wrong trick or not do it at all.
It drove me up the wall!

it was one of the first games I played on a DS, my friend got two DS's for her birthday because she had parents who were separated and didn't obviously communicate that they were getting her that off her wishlist so she got two, so we'd play on them together and she let me make a dog on nintendogs and I thought it was like the funnest thing every!

I got one of the newer ones like last year or something but got frustrated with it after like a day because my stupid dog wouldn't listen to any of the commands =[ so I basically gave up.

I used to have Nintendogs for my Ds lite when I was younger and it was fun but I never figured out how to win the tournaments though. Recently I bought the one for the 3DS for nostalgia but god I can't get into it.

When I had a DS I bought a lot of games (most given away now) that I thought were so cool and only now realized the sucky graphics lol. World of Zoo, 2nd iCarly game, Phineas and Ferb and even a math game lol. I still play my original Rune Factory Harvest Moon though, despite the graphics the gameplay is very fun! Also never leaving my copy of Pokemon Black bc Pokemon.

WoW

This was the first game I bought for my ORIGINAL DS. I had the Toy Breed. What am I saying I still have that game :-D That was the first game I played from my DS games on my 3dsxl (besides my new games) I still never unlocked that expensive sci-fi home, and I am still missing on of the carts. I am probably at 85% completion with my catalogue, but that sci-fi house ($_$) *yikes*

Haven't played it in years since I got my Wii, Wii U, & 3dsxl plus I got Nintendog & Cats. The game is in my game slot now ready for play :-D

Though I can't remember what I was trying to doing and or but :-/

All I can think of is that stupid naming thing where you had to say there name and they NEVER understood it. Otherwise, I loved it. But it was so time consuming. I remember taking my puppy for walks.

I blame this thread for the fact I've spent the past hour and a half playing Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & Friends. I've a shiba inu named Medom and a black kitten named Senka.

The wait for the original Nintendogs to come out killed me. I remember standing outside game waiting for it to open so I could buy Daschund & Friends before running off to an orthodontist appointment. Ended up buying the Dalmation version as well later. I vaguely remember picking a husky first.

You're making me want to go back to my old Nintendogs+Cats copy... man it really has been forever. I remember spending hours going in and out of the adoption menu in the hopes of getting the rarer coat colours appear. Good times.

Last edited:
Ah dude I had three separate versions of that game for some reason??? I had a Yorkie named Cookie and I made her the champion in the disc competition and the agility competition (obedience competitions irritated me) and all the lil townies would always congratulate us when we went on a walk lol, I still have one of my copies and I play it when I'm feeling nostalgic but I mostly just play the + Cats version these days (I have a fluffy kitty named Princess and I love her)

I really love virtual pet games, all the way back to Nano/Gigapets. I really wish they didn't go out of fashion

i didnt have the nintendogs but i did have the hamster life game which is similar to nintendogs. i loved unlocking all the cages and letting the hamsters out to collect accessories. i remember i lost the sava data and i actually cried because my hamster ''friends'' were gone lmao. man i wanna play that game again.

Back