Gaming in public

I do play games in public sometimes, but I worry about my ds potentially being stolen, so I usually leave it at home.

i've brought my 3ds to school a few times to play during really long breaks between lessons (i had a 3 hour long gap on mondays and it takes 40 minutes to go home so i stayed in school instead of going home.)
i don't play in public a lot though, it's a bit annoying to carry my 3ds around and i want to have more time than 10 minutes to play because it's a bit of a hassle to start playing and stuff. if i'm waiting in public i usually don't have to wait for very long periods of time so if i'm bored i just use my phone.

it's not weird to play on portable devices in public, what is weird is when people set up a big gaming computer in mcdonalds or whatever

I still dont get how you guys find it so easy to play on your 3ds in public :( i would get bullied & made fun of so much, i dont know any girls my age that play on their 3ds, just girly and bad girls, nobody like me....otherwise i would have some friends irl to play my 3ds with but no

I wouldn't care much about what people say but I hardly bring or take out my gaming device in public because I'm too ocd for that, like I might accidentally drop them or dust to accumulate inside over time. I'd probably be okay if inside the cafe or anything indoors as long as I'm not preoccupied with other things.

Yes, idk why it would be considered taboo or out of the ordinary tbh

i walk through the grocery store playing animal crossing, no shame.

when i get a switch (which will be when the splatoon 2 bundle comes to NA in september) i probably wont though, due to a fear that someone might try to take it or something, it really all depends on where i am.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I still dont get how you guys find it so easy to play on your 3ds in public :( i would get bullied & made fun of so much, i dont know any girls my age that play on their 3ds, just girly and bad girls, nobody like me....otherwise i would have some friends irl to play my 3ds with but no

i used to feel like this, as long as i dont run into anyone i know im fine with it.

Last edited:

My colleagues already know about my gaming habits and some of them even play Pokemon Go in public. My boss always teases me about it, but in a good way.

I wouldn't in public haha, especially since mostly the games I play are on steam. When I was little though, me and my friends would always go outside and lay in the grass and play pokemon on our DSs if that counts as public haha. Also I'd never play if I had guests over, unless they were like, playing with me of course. I remember earlier last year when I used to take the school bus instead of driving to school, I'd bring my 3ds to play HHD at school for a bit until my friends got there, because I got to school super early, but I was ashamed of it haha, I'd hide my hands in my schoolbag when I'd do it.

Last edited:
i usually don't bring out my 3ds a whole lot, since i'm like scared i'll drop and break it or someone's gonna steal it haha. chances of those happening are probably slim anyway but better safe than sorry haaaa idk
but when i do bring my ds out, i'll just go ahead and play it if there's the opportunity to/time to kill. i also love getting streetpasses/seeing other people on their ds cause it's like heeeeey, someone else with the same interests!!

I bring my 3ds out when travelling but I don't play in public that much. Not because I am embarrass or anything but if I wanna play my game, its gonna be at my own comfort zone at home! I once lost my 3ds at outside so I really paranoid now...

Well I stay inside mostly anyways, so it doesn't really matter, however if I WERE to go outside more often I would have no problem at all playing my 3DS.

I used to play my DS on the bus back in high school, but I get motion sick pretty easily now so I'll only play it if I'm stationary - so I'll play it at a park if it's a nice day, waiting for appointments, sitting waiting for class, etc. I get frustrated playing outside since there's usually nowhere to charge!

*shockingly* women can have very varied interests and can love both makeup and video games. What a concept!

I'm quite confused though....what? A makeup shop....fully of super girly girls and womany woman....how the heck?!?!

Girls are very much capable of enjoying makeup and video games, perhaps you were raised in an environment where they wanted you to think that way. Just know girls are capable of liking and doing anything they want, so don't let anyone restrict you from doing what you love :)

i get really shy, so i normally don't play in public, but if the situation is getting dire (like, i haven't loaded up my town at ALL that day, and this might be my only chance to get some daily routine stuff done + talk to my villagers), i might play a little, keeping my ds mostly hidden from other people using my backpack or my jacket or something :')

If i was in a car on a journey, Yes. Boredom is boring but i'm always worried about my battery running out.

In public, near a crowd somewhere like in a town or shopping center/malll, no. You don't know who's clocked you and just simply putting it in your bag is not enough since they can pinch it without you feeling it. That or what happens if you put it down and forget it? There's hardly any honest people that will take it to the police and be like "I found this." They'd keep it for themselves. Plus health and safety especially when on your own.

I use to be the kind to do that with my old DS i believe. I'd go into my town and walk around hoping to get spot passes but nada lol so i stopped.

I hear of people going to Cons like Comi-con and stuff and picking up mass Spot Passes and i think you should ALWAYS be careful but that sounds like fun to me.

Basically, always be careful and wary in public, otherwise. go for it.

Good luck!

Edit: P.s Playing games as well as music calms me down. I suffer from anxiety as well as social anxiety and i need a distraction sometimes.

Last edited:
i don't use my ds in public let alone bring it outside (unless i'm in a vehicle on a road trip). i think i am embarrassed to whip it out but at the same time when i'm outside, i'm outside for a reason like i wouldn't go to my local park just to sit down and play my ds lol. even if i'm passing time outside (waiting for my uni bus or waiting for food) i'd be checking school stuff or talking to the friends i'm eating with. i think i'm embarrassed bc idk anyone who plays their ds or nintendo games. my girl friends and i mainly talk about makeup, clothes, tv shows, etc etc and my guy friends play pc games so ds/nintendo doesn't come up and i don't feel the need to discuss it.

Never. Ever.
Everyone in public that I see playing Nintendo is a boy. All little boys.
If I ever really wanted to, it would be in the car. Hiding away from the window so no one sees me.
All girls that I see at my age are super-girly on their phones, wearing butt shorts and taking selfies. Do you think I would ever think about playing on my 3ds in public?????

basically this, and because i don't really have a reason to bring it out nor do i bring it with me unless im on vacation. i wish i did bring it more tho just so i could get streetpasses. however, the little kids thing is a different story. i will not bring it out if im in front of little kids, lol.

basically this, and because i don't really have a reason to bring it out nor do i bring it with me unless im on vacation. i wish i did bring it more tho just so i could get streetpasses. however, the little kids thing is a different story. i will not bring it out if im in front of little kids, lol.

You could bring it with you in a purse or something :) then walk around anywhere and get all the streetpasses ya want

Back