• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming in public

It makes me feel a bit dorky because I'm older now but ultimately who cares haha.

I'm pretty fine and dandy about playing in public. Switch or 3DS, I'm nearly always using them on my commute to Uni.
If anything it can be a bit hard to get really into certain games while out and about, but otherwise I don't really care.

I'm usually fine with it because nobody really cares about it where I live. I usually play on the bus to and from school and in the lunchroom once and a while, with playing in pubic other places varying on location

Never. Everyone gives me the stares and I just really hate being looked at in 'disgust' people around my area tend to call everyone geeks and makes fun of them eventhough I'm an adult, if I was seen with one all the teenagers would forever despise me.

yeah, idc, i just whip it out and start playing. i usually take my ds to school on finals, so i can play after i finish. people usually start watching, but i literally am only playing like pokemon or something. anywhere else, i don't care if people watch, 'cause it's games, ya know?

i barely ever play games now, but when i did i would always play outside without any shame- london underground is a great place for streetpasses!

i used to play my DS at break times in primary school, i would mostly play pok?mon or wild world. people would just gather around and watch
i've never used it in public since, because there's much more interesting/fun things to do for me nowadays

When I was younger, I would have been very self-conscious about it. One of the benefits of being older is that I don't care so much now. I actually enjoy a number of things that are generally considered for "younger people". If it makes you smile and doesn't hurt anyone, I say go for it.

I've played it before on long bus rides (think 3 hours) only because I eventually think "life's too short for this not-playing crap." I always shrink away/try to hide though. I would feel uncomfortable playing video games around younger children or teenagers though, because I'm 23 and it makes me feel foolish when they're on their phones being social. Nor do I play around much older adults--same feeling there. It probably says something about society, but I feel more comfortable gaming around guys (even ones that are my age or older).

is anyone else like me and literally no one even knows they have games let alone a 3ds??? Literally none of my friends/family/bf know and I continue to "hide" it. It's not that I think its dorky, but I feel like they will think so.... and say its childish or something :(

Not exactly embarrassed, screw anyone who thinks a grown woman (or man) can't game in public, especially in waiting rooms etc.

I don't play games in public, but it's because I'm afraid of exposing my 3DS to the elements, I wouldn't be self-conscious about it or anything.

Back in my school days, I used to take my DS Lite with me sometimes to trade some Pokemon with a
friend. I also used to play later with my 3DS in the bus or tram and took it a few times to a McDonald's
to use there the free WiFi spot they had, as I didn't had any WiFi at home until much later. At some
point I stopped taking my consoles with me when I go out, in general I prefer to play at home, as it's
much more comfortable for me.

Apparently already answered this 2 years ago LOL. Still agree with this.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not exactly embarrassed, screw anyone who thinks a grown woman (or man) can't game in public, especially in waiting rooms etc.

Last edited:
I'm not embarrassed, but I don't usually take my games/consoles out in public because I'm afraid of them getting lost, stolen or damaged. I have brought them out a few times when I knew I'd be waiting around for a very long time, but it's not something I prefer to do.

It depends who I'm around and where I'm around. I doubt anyone would want to waste their time stealing a crappy 2DS, but you never know.

Otherwise, I don't mind playing in public, I do so most of the time, since I go back and forth throughout the day.

Depends where i am, if im on the bus or train on a long trip i might pull out my ds but my phone is enough to distract me for a few hours. Definitely wouldnt bring anything to play alone in college though

Yep, I would occasionally play whenever I was waiting on campus/school with nothing else to do.
It was pretty helpful for trying to get some StreetPasses.

Back