• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Gaming in public

You could bring it with you in a purse or something :) then walk around anywhere and get all the streetpasses ya want

that is true. i have a small-ish purse so ill consider that for the future

I haven't done playing normally. But I was playing the 3DS just to do Nintendo Zone stuff.

Well, I have the Switch now, so I will definitely take that out wherever I go. Who knows, I may make friends that way.

I haven't in a while, but I don't have a problem with it. I did it a lot as a kid but I rarely do it now in my teenage years, but just simply because I don't have time for gaming in general much anymore.
I first started doing it back in 2010 as for Christmas in 2009 I got my DSi and it steadily went with me everywhere I would go, especially after I got Super Mario 64 DS for my tenth birthday in February 2010. Even if my dad and I were going to McDonald's to have lunch, I brought that special navy blue DSi with me (it was a special version released by Nintendo for the Black Friday sales in November 2009 that came with DSiWare Mario games, and I still have it today).
However, in July 2010, my DSi started having a button wear out (which disappointed me, since I had literally only had it for seven months) and I started using it less overall. However, as late as October 2011, I would still bring it with me to places, such as on school field trips when I was in 6th grade.
Eventually, that following Christmas, I got my 3DS and I was encouraged to bring it to as many places as possible after Christmas in 2011 due to the StreetPass feature, even if I didn't necessarily play games in public. Eventually, this roused controversy in my family when I was caught bringing it to my church in February 2012, even though I never played it during the service, only during a time before when we really didn't do anything and they already had set up three game consoles when the school year started six months earlier-a Wii, a PS3, and a Xbox 360.
After my mom set limits on how much I could play video games and use electronics in general after my 6th grade year ended in May of 2012, I gradually started to game in public less, but even as late as July that year during the summer off between by 6th and 7th grade years I would bring my 3DS to places like Chick-Fil-A and start playing old NES games like Metroid. But, after July 2012, I pretty much never did it except for playing Pokemon Y a handful of times with friends at school during my 8th grade year after it came out in October 2013.
After my 8th grade year, I have only really only done it a handful of times when extracurricular stuff would happen in high school from 2015 onwards.
Of course, Nintendo Zone and receiving special Pokemon are exceptions.

Last edited:
Meh. I don't care. I brought it with me to the city all the time.
Or play at school in the dining hall. Sure, I feel a bit dorky, but who cares? Not really anybody lmao

I usually play animal crossing in public. I'm always in the downtown district of my town and there's nothing to do, but eat and walk around.

Wow for a thread orginally called "whipping it out in public" I didn't expect so much good disscusion

i always set up a swirly office chair in the middle of the local mall and set up my tv and gamecube. i start speedrunning super monkey ball 2 and a bunch of people crowd around to watch. i've been kicked out by security and even shot in the face but that hasn't stopped me from performing!!

May I admire your skills some day?

I've never been embarrassed of gaming in public, I haven't in a while but usually I would do it with my friends so it wasn't like I was alone, then again I am like never alone when I go out. But we used to walk all over town and at their collage to get street passes and stuff and we took up one of the study rooms to just play games in for a while, it was fun. XD

Well i never take stuff like my 3DS out here , not because of what other people think of me , but because im scared of getting robbed.
I only have taken my old 3DS one time to school , and i was paranoid about losing my 3DS so i barely got it out.
And i only have taken my Old 3DS outside like 4 times (including the time i bringed it to school) since i got it on 2013. My new 3ds has never been outside , and my Switch will never be outside lol

Idgaf what people have to say about me gaming in public. I usually don't because I am reclusive, I only go out if I need to go to the store or wanna go shopping. (plus, I don't want to drop it, I bring it and leave it in my bag for play coins)

But if I go anywhere, its to my boyfriends aunts house or something like that, and they always say I need to stop playing my damn video games and get out to socialize... Say something about my white skin, and assume I just game all day and do nothing, when it is the opposite.. I worked all summer lol. I have been bored because my job screwed me over so I have been bringing my DS everywhere with me... I would have brought it to work before though if I didn't fear it being stolen or broken.

If I'm going on transport such as the train, I'll usually play on my 3ds to conserve phone battery. I don't care if these random people see me playing on my phone, so why should I worry if I'm judged just for having a 3ds? :p

Last edited:
I don't, because when I am out in public it's for a reason, like I'm actively doing something. I wouldn't mind tho, if I had to wait for something or something. Doesn't seem much different than playing a game on your phone. I don't know why anyone would care. Like seriously I feel like either people who have 3DS's or other handheld gaming devices will be like, "o cool what are you playing" (although more likely they won't say anything at all, but think it rather) and people who don't have those devices probably won't know what it is or it wouldn't even register, because it's just some electronic thing and everyone has electronic things all the time so it's not really out of the ordinary, it's not anything that notable if you're just minding your own business imo

the day i got my switch i walked to class playing it.... I felt awkward and i never did it again
also I don't like using it in front of family because I feel judged

the day i got my switch i walked to class playing it.... I felt awkward and i never did it again
also I don't like using it in front of family because I feel judged

whenever i feel judged or awkward i just ?\_(ツ)_/?

I used to when I was young. I don't game as much at this point to even need to play on my 3ds or something in public; I have my phone if I'm bored.

I play in public ALL THE TIME!!! I don't care what others think, I mean it's just a game. Especially being 14, people could probably care less. Sometimes I even meet new friends that way. It's really fun. I don't see why people would be ashamed about it. The whole point of a portable console is so you can take it on the go, not be embarrassed.

I guess I kind of stopped playing handhelds in public in my early teens, just because I became aware of the looks people would give. I'd like to think that these days I'd have enough self-confidence not to care though.

Is there like, a stigma towards video games that I don't know about.. I've played in public a couple times but it never occurred to me that anyone would even notice, let alone care LOL

But I don't usually bring my systems with me when I'm out someplace just 'cause there's not normally a lot of opportunity for me to actually bring it out and start playing, and I get motion sickness if I try to play on the bus! Plus I'm scared of like, dropping it on the concrete or something else terrible. I do bring my 3ds to work sometimes though just to play while I take a break, hatched a couple shinies that way. :p

I usually take my ds with me when I'm getting the train, since it's an hour long journey, and I usually take it if i'm taking the car anywhere, I don't always play it sometimes it's just for play coins and streetpas (albeit I was out all day yesterday in a busy city and I only got two street passes, one of them being my friend), but it's great for passing time and I really don't care what strangers think

- - - Post Merge - - -

i mean I considered makeup artistry because I love makeup and I've spent a ton of money on high end makeup brands, while simultaneously I've been gaming ever since I could hold a game controller

Yesterday I was going back and fourth between doing my highlight w my new palette and adding more game **** to my online cart LOL i feel you

Back