• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Which celebrity death has affected you the most?

I've never really been hit-hard by any celebrity deaths at the time of them happening. With the exception of maybe Amy Winehouse, which still affects me to some extent, I wasn't a massive fan or anything, but just knowing she died at such a young age, from alcohol intoxication, it just scares me, and is one thing that's prompted me to make changes recently. I know so many people die from drugs and alcohol, it's just where I was at the time of her death plus her age.

Yeah this too.. dang she had such talent.

Well with all the Iwata posts, I guess it was sad but I don't really have some cool personal experience with him and I'm not the hugest Nintendo fan or anything so I'll be neutral there.

Yeah Cliff Burton is interesting since he died in my country too, not too far from where I have relatives also :c

Michael Jackson. I was obsessed with him in the year leading up to his death. I was literally listening to his 2008 King of Pop compilation album when I loaded up MSN that morning and saw the banner saying he had passed away.

MJ's death was the hardest for me too. I am a huge fan, so his death devistates me. I still remember where I was when he died, and I can't believe it's already been eight years. :(

Honestly, I'm not really into the pop culture scene so there aren't really any celebrity deaths that have affected me, but I can imagine some people where if they were to die it would devastate me, like Patrick Stewart. He's too awesome, I couldn't bear to lose him.

I'm gonna add a couple more to my list.

Albeit I wasn't around at the time, Kurt Cobain's death still makes me incredibly sad. I've had so much Cobain and Nirvana merchandise over the years.
Satoru Iwata. He was the man that made my childhood and gave me a reason to live. Nintendo was always the best thing in the world when I was younger; nothing made me happier.
Not sure if you'd call her a celebrity (more so a YouTuber) but Quxxn. She used to play Sims in her videos and she was sooo good at what she did. Her videos were always interesting. I remember crying for at least a week or two after I heard the news. I do miss her still.

Robin Williams is the only celebrity death that's made me cry, I think.

David Bowie & Debbie Reynolds were the hardest, in recent years, for me.

Chester Bennington. And Christina Grimmie. I was devastated by both of them, but I guess more so Christina. Simply because I was a fan of her ever since her early YouTube days and her career was really just beginning.

Every now and then I'm reminded of her in some way, like the fact that she never got to play botw, or that she never got to collab with Justin Bieber. And I realize I'll never get to hear new music from her on the radio or otherwise and I just want to cry.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you all must be forgetting a certain someone. The protector of EEEEEEEEVVVVIIIIIIIIILLL. The Aquaman we deserve more than DC's Aquaman. He saved all of us from multiple threats. Man Ray, Dirty Bubble, Jumbo Shrimp, Moth, Sinister Slug, and he turned the former villain Atomic Flounder into a retiree. He must not be forgotten.

Also, I don't know if this counts, but Harambe's death had a big impact on me and American citizens. He may be a dead meme but that by no means makes it okay for him to be forgotten either.

No death has really affected me, though it is unfortunate that Dio and Lemmy Kilmister left us! Both legends in the rock/metal world.

Chester Bennington. It broke my heart. I've been a long life fan of Linkin Park. I cried my eyes out when I heard the news. :(

Christina Grimmie's death shook me real bad.

Also Kris Travis, a young wrestler who was well known within the British wrestling scene.

In general, celebrity deaths don't affect me very much because as much as I might have enjoyed their contributions to culture, I didn't know them personally. It's a shame that death occurs, but it does, and lacking that connection to a celebrity when compared to people I know in real life means that it just doesn't have a comparable sting. I'll sympathize with their loved ones and hope that they are able to cope with the loss they have endured, and if it is someone that was involved with something that was dear to me then I will feel bummed out for a while.

All I can really hope for when it comes to celebrity deaths, or any other person's for that matter, is that they were able to enjoy the time that they had here.

That said, in all honesty, with all the division, tension, and turmoil going on around the world now and into the future, I tend to feel that they're probably better off in some way not having to experience where the rest of us are potentially headed.

Andy Griffith, Jon Pinette, I wasn't aware Debbie Reynolds was still alive, so her death probably didn't bother me as much as if I had known.
I'm really going to miss Dick Van ****, though. T_T. (I think he's still alive, but still)
I really do not care about any animal deaths, sorry.
Didn't Mrs. Reagan just recently die too?
Most of my favorite people died before I was born, so....Oh, Whitney Houston, she has such wonderful voice.

Robin Williams and Chris Cornell for sure. I don't cry or anything but I feel sad whenever I hear them in their roles.

Back