Blue Candy
Blue Candy
Blue Candy
Blue Candy
Jack
Orange (Fruit)
Red Candy
Orange (Fruit)
Like I'm not used to draw the body just the face and I need ideas thanks in advance

Study from live references. When I'm drawing full bodies i often get my room mates to pose in embarrassing ways for me :)

^^ Yeah pretty much that. You might only want to draw a simple image but understanding how to draw fundamentally is the problem... sorry that sounds so pretentious... if you want to seriously get into art I can't recommend enough Drawing on the right side of the brain. It sounds like you don't know how to draw and your drawing of a face is more like writing a highly complicated letter. But I'm assuming a lot here, that is to say I'm assuming you're doing what I did when I started out :p

^^ Yeah pretty much that. You might only want to draw a simple image but understanding how to draw fundamentally is the problem... sorry that sounds so pretentious... if you want to seriously get into art I can't recommend enough Drawing on the right side of the brain. It sounds like you don't know how to draw and your drawing of a face is more like writing a highly complicated letter. But I'm assuming a lot here, that is to say I'm assuming you're doing what I did when I started out :p

what are you on about ? ? ? im so confused???

I'm talking about bad habits young artists get into and the concept of 'symbol drawing'

They're having a hard time because they know the symbol for 'a head' but they don't know the symbol for 'a body'

When really it's not about knowing the symbols, but gaining an understanding of shapes and being able to draw them accurately, not simply recalling a symbol.

Symbol drawing is ok, and a necessary tool for comics artists, but you make your life so much easier as a comics artist to study life drawing - using your eyes. That's why I think they should draw from reference, so they don't rely on symbols.

- - - Post Merge - - -

tumblr_ow4frrGrk61u5h0x1o1_1280.png

Actually this might be an easier way of explaining it. Sorry, I'm a bit longwinded haha

I'm talking about bad habits young artists get into and the concept of 'symbol drawing'

They're having a hard time because they know the symbol for 'a head' but they don't know the symbol for 'a body'

When really it's not about knowing the symbols, but gaining an understanding of shapes and being able to draw them accurately, not simply recalling a symbol.

Symbol drawing is ok, and a necessary tool for comics artists, but you make your life so much easier as a comics artist to study life drawing - using your eyes. That's why I think they should draw from reference, so they don't rely on symbols.

- - - Post Merge - - -

tumblr_ow4frrGrk61u5h0x1o1_1280.png

Actually this might be an easier way of explaining it. Sorry, I'm a bit longwinded haha

literally this still makes no sense to me. theyre both hands? the second one just has blockier lines??? peoples brains work differently ?? like for me i cant use the anatomy dolls or the whole divide a face thing beacuse it just looks worse but if i just go for it it it looks so much better?

One was drawn from reference, one was drawn just from what I 'imagine' a hand is. The imagine hand is a total abstraction, looks nothing like a hand in real life, even if it has all the 'features' of a hand, If you yourself do a thumbs up, and then look at the symbol, you'll see how short it is, it looks all wrong and stumpy. And if that short stumpy hand were to move into a new pose it wouldn't work at all... that's what I mean.

But yes, what your talking about, the divide a face is actually just symbol drawing. The are more useful tools for drawing like negative space and that... but it's just a light hobby for me, I was just trying to explain why life drawing is the best thing for new artists so they don't form bad habits, that's all. But I could've been more succinct I guess lol

I think what warrior is trying to say is when people who draw, let's say full body characters since that's the topic, may have a set image in their mind of what a "head" or a "hand" is supposed to look like... which is not going to help artists draw more dynamic poses in the long run (eg. Hands are not just a stump with five sausages attached to it, and you can't rely on this method for drawing all angles of hands). So learning from references photos, getting real poses and learning shapes and how lighting affects the shapes etc. is a good practice. I personally don't like anatomy dolls because they confuse me a little but I do like using them for lighting/shading purposes.

Back