• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What was the Hardest bug to catch?

Moosta2112

I Like Trains.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I came up with this by attempting to catch a tarantula or a scorpion. They were pretty tough to catch, and when I saw the first (and last) scorpion it rammed into a tree and poof it was gone! The tarantula/scorpion is my hardest catch, whats your's?

Definitely the tarantula and scorpion as well. I try to approach them in a way where they won't chase me so I go slow but whenever one spawns I often scare them just by walking. It's hard to get a good start

Aside from the dreaded tarantula, I'd have to say centipede.

I hate them in real life and seeing a very detailed image of one in game is anxiety inducing. The sound, the movement, WHEN MY MAYOR PICKS IT UP.

I die a little inside.

Any bug that hides in the trees (bees, spider, etc.). Besides the tarantula and scorpion, those were always a pain to catch.

Scorpion and tarantula are the hardest, but excluding these bugs, I think bees are the hardest.

mole cricket was hardest for me to catch. just had a tough time digging in the right spot

- - - Post Merge - - -

mole cricket was hardest for me to catch. just had a tough time digging in the right spot.

As someone who hasn't played the series since GCN era, I'm curious about these new bugs. :p
But of course the hardest I ever faced were bees.

Scorpions, tarantulas and bees in AC:NL. Banded dragonfly in AC:GC (that thing was a nightmare).

I came up with this by attempting to catch a tarantula or a scorpion. They were pretty tough to catch, and when I saw the first (and last) scorpion it rammed into a tree and poof it was gone! The tarantula/scorpion is my hardest catch, whats your's?

I agree with you.

At the beginning, I had big troubles to catch the golden stag as well as the horned hercules,
I still do have some problems to catch them as I'm sometimes to hectic and forget to sneak,
so I scare them away. I also have troubles to catch a tarantula or a scorpion. This year, I
didn't had any chance to get them, generally I only catched them like two or three times
in all the years I played this game. Also the mole cricket and the dung beetle are kinda
difficult for me to catch.

I think the mole cricket is the hardest bug to catch because I can never tell where it is and I end up digging up half the yard. Bees are also pretty hard to catch with anything but your face. Scorpions and tarantulas are hard mostly because I never see them in my town or they randomly disappear in a pattern before I get my net out.

Definitely tarantula and scorpion. They are downright impossible to catch when you have a lot of trees, bushes and flowers in your town (like me... *sigh*).

I got 100% for all my encyclopedia in ACNL except for bugs because TARANTULA. Managed to find 1 one evening but it attacked me faster before I could even snag it so yeah :(

No idea, I'd say house centipede because I started the town in late September and that bug wasn't my focus then lol so it took the longest, hardest that way since I'm now in August finally.

And yeah the tree shaking bees, like uh even the tarantula spoder and scorpion are easier since you just have to mimic their movements while bees just race at you with like 0.1% chance to be caught

Last edited:
In terms of technique required, tarantula is the winner. It is worse than the scorpion because it can jump across gaps, and over small ledges, so you can't trap it in the same way.

In terms of rarity, both of those could still win, but giant petaltail (in City Folk) caused me the most hell. In New Leaf I didn't have issues with any of them, fortunately...

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think the mole cricket is the hardest bug to catch because I can never tell where it is and I end up digging up half the yard. Bees are also pretty hard to catch with anything but your face. Scorpions and tarantulas are hard mostly because I never see them in my town or they randomly disappear in a pattern before I get my net out.

Mole crickets travel away from you. A good habit is to cover up holes. In recent games I don't think they can switch spaces, even in older games it takes a while before they do.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Banded dragonfly has been a bit worse in recent generations, because you can't flip between acres and reset the bug as easily as in GCN. Wild World and City Folk banded dragonfly was really a nightmare.

I don't find any of them hard. Just elusive. Last summer I barely saw any tarantula or scorpions.

Last edited:
Mole crickets are the most difficult for me because I'm hard of hearing. I can't hear higher frequencies so the chirp is pretty much nonexistent. ):

Mole Cricket. >-< I've only dug him up once and I didn't have my net on me. :(
I've seen tarantulas and scorpion many times but had the misfortune of not having my stupid net with me!!!
Note to self: Always bring your net.

Back