• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon The Ice Typing is Unfairly Weak.

moonford

moon boi
Peach 🍑
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Ruby
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
Leif
I've been thinking about the ice type because it's my favourite type next to ghost types, I think the typing needs a major buff because in reality ice types should be some of the strongest defensively.

The ice type has really great coverage offensively:

Grass
Dragon
Flying
Ground

Dragon types only have two weaknesses being fairy and of course ice. Moves like ice beam and blizzard are commonly used on Pok?mon such as water types for coverage and they are really great for that but ice type Pok?mon lack what other types have and that is defensive coverage which is sad because other types are better at using ice type moves than ice types!

They have a crap ton of weaknesses:

Rock
Steel
Fire
Fighting

All of these types are very common offensively and defensively apart from rock which also carries the trait of having terrible type defensive coverage but great offensive coverage.

The ice type only resists itself and that is really embarrassing. Notable ice type trainers such as Pryce, Candice, Glacia. Wulfric and Brycen are total pushovers because they are so bad defensively and we usually have Pok?mon that can handle them at those points in the game. Lorelei is the only exception because she was pretty tough.

My ideas for ice type Pok?mon:

Offensively:

Ground
Flying
Grass
Dragon
Normal
Psychic

I think Normal types should be weak to ice types because if we think about Normal types are what they are implied to be and they are usually based on everyday things and have human traits. When you take this into consideration you will realize that humans and other beings do not like touching ice and cannot live in cold places like ummm...the Artic Regions? We would literally die if we lived near icy regions for long periods of time and it's unbearable.

I also think Psychic types should be weak to ice types because of brain freeze, lol. More of a jokey one but seriously, people can't think straight when they have pain striking their brain and psychic types mostly use their brains to fight right?

Defensively:

I think the weakness they do have are spot on and shouldn't be removed but more resistances should be added.

Resistances:

Ice
Water
Normal
Flying
Bug

I think the reasoning is pretty obvious but I think the move scald should be super-effective against ice types just like the move freeze-dry is super-effective against water types.

If most of the ice type experts are late game trainers like dragon type trainers then ice types should be equally as powerful.

Last edited:
Some types just aren't as good as others. The type chart could have been better balanced and they at least seemed to put "some" effort into that with the introduction of the Dark and Steel types and then the Fairy type but they aren't going to keep tweaking it until it is perfect. Ice and Grass have a lot of weaknesses. Steel has a lot of resistances, (I'm still disappointed they removed Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark.) If you want a flavour explanation, ice can be brittle so it has many weaknesses and one solitary resistance. They will always have to be incredible in stats or ability to be able to stand up to every other Pokemon competitively. At least they lend their moves to Water-types for coverage. They'll always have that. (Why does Keldeo only get Icy Wind and not Ice Beam what were they thinking?)

Dragon types only have two weaknesses being fairy and of course ice.

Dragon is weak to Dragon and always has been (even though Generation I only had Dragon Rage as a Dragon-type move that dealt set damage.)

I forgot that Dragon Types are weak to other dragons, oops.

Last edited:
I would remove the weakness to rock. Try throwing rocks at ice. It will bounce off like nothing ever happened, unless it is really brittle.

I would remove the weakness to rock. Try throwing rocks at ice. It will bounce off like nothing ever happened, unless it is really brittle.

Yeah, if a boulder fell on an Iceberg it would bounce off lol.

yeah i'm surprised the ice type hasnt been buffed at all. there are only a few good ice type pokemon which is a shame since they are my favorite. Even hail sucks compared to the other weather conditions. I don't think ice types should be buffed offensively since they already have good coverage, but they do need more defense. I don't think ice should resist bug and normal since they are not that good offensively anyway, when they introduced fairy last gen i thought ice would resist fairy tbh.

Last edited:
yeah i'm surprised the ice type hasnt been buffed at all. there are only a few good ice type pokemon which is a shame since they are my favorite. Even hail sucks compared to the other weather conditions. I don't think ice types should be buffed offensively since they already have good coverage, but they do need more defense. I don't think ice should resist bug and normal since they are not that good offensively anyway, when they introduced fairy last gen i thought ice would resist fairy tbh.

Yeah, I like the idea of Ice vs Dragon vs Fairy type of thing.

I can agree that water and normal can be NVE towards Ice, and to some extent, flying, but to resist Grass and Bug, they are already bad offensively. By improving ice's defense towards them, they would be even weaker.

On the offensive sector, even if ice isn't good against normal and psychic like it is against grass, flying, dragon, and ground, more Pokemon species are weak towards ice moves than any other type. I calculated it myself. 25 Pokemon species and forms (including un-evolved forms) have a double weakness to ice (46 to Freeze-Dry), and 221 other Pokemon species and forms out of the 848 total species and forms are weak to ice. So if we improved that, ice would be over-powered like what Psychic used to be in the first gen and Dragon from gens 3 to 5.

Even hail sucks compared to the other weather conditions.

Is hail the worst weather because you have to use ice-types if you're using it? Are the ice-types with hail-abusing abilities bad themselves despite their abilities? Is it the hail weather summoning Pokemon that affect team-building? Is it a multitude of factors?

Ice and Bug both have their problems. Bug would've been in a much better spot imo if it was super-effective against Fairy instead of being yet another type that it's NVE against, but Ice needs a complete overhaul. When the only type that you resist is yourself, that's when you know you're bad. :lemon:

Ice and Bug both have their problems. Bug would've been in a much better spot imo if it was super-effective against Fairy instead of being yet another type that it's NVE against, but Ice needs a complete overhaul. When the only type that you resist is yourself, that's when you know you're bad. :lemon:

Yes, I love the bug type as well and I despise how bad it is.

Super effective against:

Grass
Dark
Psychic

Weak against:

Rock
Flying
Fire

Is underwhelming, it's weaknesses are really common in competitive whereas the types it's super effective against aren't popular in terms of defensive pokemon in competitive.

Rock, Ice and Bug types need major buffs.

Bug is reasonably decent, and rock is one of the best attacking types. Ice I agree.

Ice type definitely needs a buff, it's my favorite type but it's so late into the series now that I don't ever see anything happening for it. I do wish Gen VI added Ice being strong against Fairy just to give it something more. Since there are fairytales where a fairy/princess gets frozen it would have made sense.

The main thing is it needs less weaknesses. You can make it strong against other types, but I don't think that's going to help it too much. I don't agree with your idea to make Ice strong against Normal just because people can die from being cold. People can die from poisoning, fires, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, etc... it would just create an inconsistency if Normal types weren't weak to every other type because with that logic literally everything is dangerous to them. A few more resistances would be nice, too. Dragon and Water resistances could work well, and maybe a few more Pokemon that are speedy and/or bulky.

Just a shame because I really like Ice types but they suck for the most part.

Ice type definitely needs a buff, it's my favorite type but it's so late into the series now that I don't ever see anything happening for it. I do wish Gen VI added Ice being strong against Fairy just to give it something more. Since there are fairytales where a fairy/princess gets frozen it would have made sense.

The main thing is it needs less weaknesses. You can make it strong against other types, but I don't think that's going to help it too much. I don't agree with your idea to make Ice strong against Normal just because people can die from being cold. People can die from poisoning, fires, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, etc... it would just create an inconsistency if Normal types weren't weak to every other type because with that logic literally everything is dangerous to them. A few more resistances would be nice, too. Dragon and Water resistances could work well, and maybe a few more Pokemon that are speedy and/or bulky.

Just a shame because I really like Ice types but they suck for the most part.

I think if they were to make ice resistant to water (which baffles me now to why its the other way around), there would have to be some exceptions with moves such as Scald which is self-explainatory.

When we make the Ice-type super over-powered wth all these improvements, why type do we have to adjust next to counter it?

A few more resistances would be nice, too. Dragon and Water resistances could work well, and maybe a few more Pokemon that are speedy and/or bulky.

What are you thinking is your logic behind Ice resisting Dragon? I always think that Ice is super-effective against Dragon because they are vaguely reptilian and therefore "cold-blooded" so the cold would affect them. The fact they all breathe fire adds a wrinkle to this but so can Golem and Granbull and Gourgeist so that's easy to brush off. But Ice resisting Dragon? What's your thought?

Another reason why ice is bad defensively - the four types they are weak to, are super-effective towards other types to where ice has more double-weaknesses than other types. Rock is good against three other types, fighting is good against four other types that rock isn't good against, fire is good against three other types (one of them is weak to fighting), and steel is good against rock and fairy. This leaves ice with a lot of double weaknesses, even if ice gets more resistances. So if you want to up its defense, you're gonna have to get rid of one of its weaknesses.

What are you thinking is your logic behind Ice resisting Dragon? I always think that Ice is super-effective against Dragon because they are vaguely reptilian and therefore "cold-blooded" so the cold would affect them. The fact they all breathe fire adds a wrinkle to this but so can Golem and Granbull and Gourgeist so that's easy to brush off. But Ice resisting Dragon? What's your thought?

The same reason Ice is super effective against Dragon, just swapped around. Dragons are based off reptiles/dinosaurs which are either cold blooded, or died out in the ice age. For a Pokemon to be classified as an Ice type it must be cold, right? So if you send out an Ice type, I assume the temperature would drop, thus hindering Dragon types, if we assume they're reptilian based. Also if you were to make physical contact with an Ice type with a dragon attack, you'd make physical contact with the Pokemon, which would weaken the attack since they're not good with cold. I mean it's not a 100% flawless logic but it's there, I don't see it much different to Water resisting Fire.

In every type relationship, I see a weakness on both sides. Not going over 171 of them, but I'll cover a few:

Ice can beat Fire in terms of like an ice storm or a cold wind can put out a fire. But fire can melt ice.
Grass can beat Water because plants soak up water, but too much water can kill plants.
Electric can beat Psychic if you're counting the fear of lightning, but those who are smart can either avoid or use technology to harness the lightning.

But some type effectiveness makes more sense, hence why we have all this.

Yeah... The Ice Type needs some better defense boosts to it. I know that in the latest games, they tried add bulk with Aurora Veil as a way to get players to use them. What is happening now is players are setting this wall for their other Pokemon to use, then letting the Ice types get KO'd afterwards... Powerful competitively, but it misses the point.

My idea would be to remove the rock weakness from Ice types, and then make Electric moves not very effective. I see Electric being overly powerful offensively now, especially with Tapu Koko setting up Electric terrain. Not sure about the logic on this, though.

My idea would be to remove the rock weakness from Ice types, and then make Electric moves not very effective. I see Electric being overly powerful offensively now, especially with Tapu Koko setting up Electric terrain. Not sure about the logic on this, though.

You want to go after the Electric-type now? Only super-effective against two types - Water and Flying. Resisted by three types - Grass, Electric and Dragon. Only has three resistances - Electric, Flying and Steel. It is ineffective against Ground-types too. Just one vaguely powerful current generation power-creep legendary Electric-type and it's already on the chopping block?

Back