• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon The Ice Typing is Unfairly Weak.

You want to go after the Electric-type now? Only super-effective against two types - Water and Flying. Resisted by three types - Grass, Electric and Dragon. Only has three resistances - Electric, Flying and Steel. It is ineffective against Ground-types too. Just one vaguely powerful current generation power-creep legendary Electric-type and it's already on the chopping block?

I look at the context of the electric moves in actual battle, and how players actually use them. Electric is powerful in practice, regardless of hitting only 2 types super effectively - and was already so even before Tapu Koko.

For one, there is the notorious "Bolt-Beam" Combination. Pairing Electric and Ice moves is so good for neutral coverage that many players now have opted to use it as a Pokemon's only offensive moves - even when the Pokemon themselves are neither Ice nor Electric!

Also, for some reason, there is a strategy revolving around Porygon-Z called Z-Conversion. It allows Porygon-Z to switch its type with move it has of your choice, and raise all its stats at once to sweep teams. The most common choices? Ghost or Electric. I don't think either one is a coincidence - even though both only hit 2 types super-effectively.

Thus, if Ice types resisted electric (1/2 damage), and lost its Rock weakness, I see many good things happening:

-Ice types can actually switch in more effectively, as stealth rock only does neutral damage.

-Players will be a little more weary about using Bolt-Beam, as Ice types will then actually switch into this strategy.

-Many Water/Ice types - Particularly the bulkier ones from the lowest of the low tiers - will see better play. They'll be able to hold off stealth rock damage, and only grass and fighting hit super effectively. They were screaming for a buff, and this would be a reasonable one in my eyes.

Some types just aren't as good as others. The type chart could have been better balanced and they at least seemed to put "some" effort into that with the introduction of the Dark and Steel types and then the Fairy type but they aren't going to keep tweaking it until it is perfect. Ice and Grass have a lot of weaknesses. Steel has a lot of resistances, (I'm still disappointed they removed Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark.) If you want a flavour explanation, ice can be brittle so it has many weaknesses and one solitary resistance. They will always have to be incredible in stats or ability to be able to stand up to every other Pokemon competitively. At least they lend their moves to Water-types for coverage. They'll always have that. (Why does Keldeo only get Icy Wind and not Ice Beam what were they thinking?)

Dragon is weak to Dragon and always has been (even though Generation I only had Dragon Rage as a Dragon-type move that dealt set damage.)

I am so glad that they removed Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark. When it resisted those they made Bronzong was too ****ing OP. You could only damage it normally with Fighting, Bug, Water, or Electric. It was weak to Fire and Ground, but had Levitate or Heatproof as an ability; meaning it was only weak to one thing. FURTHERMORE; given the lack of fire types in Sinnoh, the region it was introduced, you could only ever damage it with Ground. Except oh wait they all have Levitate. Like Lucian (Sinnoh Elite Four). And Mars (Galactic commander who you battle twice, one time she has two Bronzors). And Jupiter (Galactic commander who you battle twice. AGAIN the ****er has two Bronzors in a battle). And Saturn (Galactic commander who you battle twice. Each time with a Bronzor) AND THEY ALL ****ING HAVE LEVITATE.

TL;DR: Bronzong was too OP and removing Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark was a very very good thing.

It is weak. But as they say...
Ice types suck.

I have no hate for ice types. Alolan Ninetales is in my top ten!!!

Back