Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Ruby
Peach (Fruit)
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Tasty Cake
Mother's Day Carnation
Sakura Easter Egg
So for my new town I'm thinking I'd like to go with natural paths rather than QR paths like I've done for the last few towns. The only thing is I'm not sure where to start! I guess it is just easier to do a path with QRs because it's very clear where the path is, but with natural paths it's not so obvious where the path is until landscaping is finished. Hopefully I make sense lol. Anyway I'd like to hear from others who have gone the natural and dirt path route. Did you have qr stepping stones to help visualize the path? Thanks in advance:)

honestly the best and most surefire way to create dirt paths is to walk on them. every. single. day. Never skip a day, dont time travel more than one day at a time. Walk on that path. just keep walkin. it will eventually begin to form :D

I made mine by running each path six times save do it again so times
It's faster if you run a small section three times up and down to make 6

I've got dirt paths in Flint, and yes, I did put down QRs so I would know exactly where to run. It's really hard to run in only the right places otherwise! I recommend putting them down in a kind of checkerboard pattern (if you imagine the black squares having QRs and the white squares being empty) if you're making a 2 or 3 width path, or just placing them in every other square if your path is only one square wide. That way, you can actually see the progress of the dirt wearing away under the path, and you'll know when it's time to remove the QRs.

(Oh, and make sure you RUN on the path a few times a day, not just walk.)

I started off by putting QR codes so I know where to run, but I eventually replaced them with flowers bordering the pathway. Just play every day and run or walk on them with every character. Sometimes I even run them with a villager trailing behind me to give me motivation (I'm pretty sure that doesn't help lmao) With time travelling the deterioration is more apparent, but you have to remember to run them every day even if you're time travelling. Even skipping one or two days can undo the process. These types of paths are only good for players who know they play every day, otherwise it's too easy to lose them :p

I'd like to stress that you don't worry about it too much. The whole 'point' of the dirt paths is to reflect your daily activity, and I think it's easy to drive yourself nuts if you try to game it

Thank you all very much for the advice!. I figured I'd have to put some qrs down at first to help me figure out where the paths will go.

@Sheando that is a great idea, I'll make sure I put them down in a checkered pattern so I can see the grass underneath still. I will have to check out your town of Flint when you put it up in the Dream Suite!

@Dizzy bone your town is what made me want to try it! I love it so much. :) Thank you for the advice. That is hilarious that you run them with a villager behind you. I'll probably do the same just for fun! Isabelle too haha!

I use brick paths, they look nice and clean and I use them for more of a sidewalk in the countryside purpose. I've made multiple ones from sandstone to red brick. You could also line an open area with trees to create and pathway illusion while keeping it natural and without any patterns on the ground.

Last edited:
I use trees and bushes to line where I want paths to be. Once they are established, I'll thin them out so it looks more open. I only have a few "hard" paths, which connect places I go all the time (my house, Town Hall, Re-Tail, etc.) and leave areas I visit less often alone. There's a bit of wear, but nothing that won't fill in easily on its own.

Thank you all very much for the advice!. I figured I'd have to put some qrs down at first to help me figure out where the paths will go.

@Sheando that is a great idea, I'll make sure I put them down in a checkered pattern so I can see the grass underneath still. I will have to check out your town of Flint when you put it up in the Dream Suite!

@Dizzy bone your town is what made me want to try it! I love it so much. :) Thank you for the advice. That is hilarious that you run them with a villager behind you. I'll probably do the same just for fun! Isabelle too haha!

ahh thank you! I'm glad it inspired someone :p It's hard work but it definitely pays off. I like using dirt paths because I'm too picky with QR patterns and I don't like having to change them to match the seasons. I always run around with my jock villager because I know they'd enjoy the work out ;D

ahh thank you! I'm glad it inspired someone :p It's hard work but it definitely pays off. I like using dirt paths because I'm too picky with QR patterns and I don't like having to change them to match the seasons. I always run around with my jock villager because I know they'd enjoy the work out ;D

Ohmigosh I just visited your Tinytree DA the other day as well, and 100% loved it. I really enjoy your decorating style, esp the houses. They've got so much character yet aren't overly themed. I was trapped in Mei's house forever though >:O... had to keep going back into the room so she wouldn't be blocking my way out (b/c apparently town residents don't shuffle out of your way).

Edit: oops, sorry I feel like this went way off topic

Last edited:
Ohmigosh I just visited your Tinytree DA the other day as well, and 100% loved it. I really enjoy your decorating style, esp the houses. They've got so much character yet aren't overly themed. I was trapped in Mei's house forever though >:O... had to keep going back into the room so she wouldn't be blocking my way out (b/c apparently town residents don't shuffle out of your way).

Edit: oops, sorry I feel like this went way off topic

Haha thank you!! LOL Mei was just trying to get you to book a room in the bed and breakfast! Thanks for visiting :p

Back