• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

cliche towns

and the tier 1 villagers like Diana, fang, marshal, stitches, merengue, fauna, lolly, Julian, marina, ankha, etc. I see a lot of towns with those villagers and don't get me wrong they're cute villagers but I see them too much and I would like something more spicey.. you know?
I just realized how I have so many top tiers.....well okay maybe my town is a bit cliche too in that case but I love my villagers XD

I just realized how I have so many top tiers.....well okay maybe my town is a bit cliche too in that case but I love my villagers XD

yeah, but no one should be judged for how they themed their town or what villagers they like, just sayin

more horror towns please.

Or just more story towns, in general. Personally, I'm waiting for the day I come across the ultimate Batman-themed town with modern buildings and city streets, complete with Harley Quinn and the Joker's nightclub. I'd make it myself, but I can't stand the look of the modern PwPs.

Last edited:
Eh, I don't see the point in judging people's towns. Sure, there's themes that aren't really my cup of tea but I can appreciate the work that was put into it which, for many developed towns (or overdeveloped as some might say), is a lot of time, effort, planning, resources. I'm sure by the time my town is said and done, to some, it will be over developed but having spent time on it since 2013 I don't feel any shame in that. It's also generally easy to find out what the town may be centered around before hand so, if I don't want to see xyz towns, I just skip them.
What matters is you love your town and who am I really to judge even if it's very popular or common. You do you. You paid the money for your game, enjoy it and don't listen to anyone else's opinion. They aren't the one giving you money for it. :p

Though, I agree, that I'd love to see more horror towns but I also don't really have the right to complain because I'm too lazy to make one lol. For all these towns that we all want to see done...we all that want them could just make them. :p ;)

Last edited:
Oh...You have no idea of the flood gates you've opened for me...
Forest Towns: I'm making one, but I'm talking about the ones with barely any color. The ones saved when it's cloudy, night or raining. Usually accompanied by a cabin set in a cabin house. You need clovers everywhere and cedars, bushes, saplings and little flowers, usually black, white or yellow.
Pastel Towns: Usually you can find Chrissy and Francine here. Along with eye-hurting colors. Typically saved when it's cherry blossom season, and pink, purple and white flowers (usually roses) are everywhere. Bonus points if you get an outfit, a ballet outfit.
Overly Hacked Towns: Hacked towns are fine, if done correctly. The towns where the houses are so perfectly aligned, there are very restricting paths, all the top tier animals, 5 town trees. Just...no.
"No Effort But I still made a DA" Towns: They look like you just started. The paths are a mess and trees and flowers are everywhere.
Whew...thanks for letting me vent there. Have a great day!!

But you don't have to hack to have perfectly aligned houses? I've never hacked a single one of my towns and all of the houses were always in a straight line towards the right side or bottom half of my town, you literally just have to plot reset or now you can just place paths

I agree with the people saying "who cares"
It's not your town, so why do you care if it's cliche? I make my towns for me, not anyone else, and if that means I want a cliche town then I'm going to make it cliche.

To add to this thread and complain just for the sake of complaining like everyone else seems to be doing, I will say it's sort of dumb when people line all their houses up in a perfect line (whether or not it's been hacked that way). I don't think it looks better, I think it's just overused and uncreative. It's more interesting to see houses in multiple places.
But honestly, if it's not my town then I couldn't care less what people do. I just want people to be happy with their towns and do what they want without feeling judged for doing it.

what are some town themes that you find cliche? everytime i visit a dream town its always cherry blossoms. cherry blossom towns are nice but theres too many of them and im sick of them already.

kind of off topic, but when are the cherry blossoms? I can't ever remember seeing the trees bloom into them in my town

I agree that a bunch of popular villagers makes towns look unoriginal. I feel like a sellout for having Marshal. :p no offense to anyone

Not sure if it's a cliche but I've never been a fan of unorganized random flowers. Or that bright pink path everyone has (again, no offense)

I don't mind popular villagers or if every dream town I visit has all the same villagers. I only like to see how the town is decorated as well the houses. I never talk to villagers lol. As for things that I find cliche, I guess I'm tired of seeing cherry blossoms everywhere and clovers used as main paths or like the ones where you see nothing but patterns and clovers alternately. No offense. I mean, they look nice but I'd rather see natural dirt paths, I guess if they want a touch of forestry in their towns.

In reference to the guy who said LoZ themed.
I've only seen one of these, I'd like to see more. :>

For me its the cute/kawaii/weeb themed towns.

Last edited:
ones i see a lot on tumblr are like witchy, fairy mystical themes, which im not complaining since that it my aesthetic, :D Also i see a lot of girly, pink towns with cherry blossoms and a lot of different bright colours.

I'm kind of weary of bad attitudes against certain types of towns. It becomes the "I don't like it, so neither should you" syndrome, which is absolutely cruel in my eyes.

When I look at town design, I think about intent on why people choose what they chose. Some people just play for the villager interactions, the bug/fish hunting, and events, and don't really care what their town looks like. Some just care about hoarding bells and items to make fancy looking homes, and their town is only designed as a money/item dumping ground. Others want their town to be their personal sanctuary to escape real life, and many love the 'kawaii' feel when playing the game.

Do I bash any of these common play styles I see? NO! Their towns are a reflection of what they want when playing the game. Sure, anyone can argue that they make repetitive dream towns. But I think the reason why few "Unique" and well designed dream towns exist is this:

Fewer players want to base playing the game on making a dream for others to view. It can get very stressful - not everyone has good design skills when playing this game, and giving so much thought into the town layout can give the opposite effect of relaxing and enjoying the actual game play!

Rather, I bet people would rather view dream towns than make them. In that regard, how about in the next game, we have something like a "Super Mario Maker" like rating database instead? It would spare people from just choosing random dream towns, and and complaining about how repetitive they are.

I know that on tumblr almost all the dream towns are those foresty hacked ones, and there are also the pink kawaii towns that are common, too. Although, cliche doesn't necessarily mean bad.

But you don't have to hack to have perfectly aligned houses? I've never hacked a single one of my towns and all of the houses were always in a straight line towards the right side or bottom half of my town, you literally just have to plot reset or now you can just place paths

I know its not always hacking and can be pure luck c:
Personally it bothers me because while it makes things neater, you can't do much to add personality to a villagers house, especially when they're in one straight, very close together, line like I usually see.
Also...I didn't know of either of those methods so I always thought it was hacking lol (What's plot resetting?)

Last edited:
I know its not always hacking and can be pure luck c:
Personally it bothers me because while it makes things neater, you can't do much to add personality to a villagers house, especially when they're in one straight, very close together, line like I usually see.
Also...I didn't know of either of those methods so I always thought it was hacking lol (What's plot resetting?)

Plot resetting is super annoying and time consuming lol. It's when you continually reset the game to get the villagers house to move until its in the place you want it to be c:

I agree with the people mentioning towns that seem to always have the same selection of 10 top tier villagers. It's just that I like meeting new faces. It doesn't make me dislike a town, though - I just don't talk to the villagers and focus on other aspects of the town to enjoy.

I'm not the biggest fan of pink/pastel/fairy-tale themed towns, but I can definitely appreciate all the work put into them.

My own personal bugbear is when the rooms are just showing off furniture sets. No personality shines through and imo it's super boring.

Back