• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

cliche towns

Tbh overgrown hacked forest towns are incredibly cliche. The same goes for pastel spring towns.

However every town is different and the creators spend countless hours on their towns, and even though towns look pretty similar, no two towns are identical, so we should just appreciate the work that each person puts into their towns.

that statement was full of cliche oh my goshh

Agreed. I'm getting tired of running into completely-hacked tumblr towns......no originality anymore? :(
But some towns aren't hacked and have work put into them, and it's easy to tell the difference between a hacked town and a non-hacked town.

Since I don't visit dream suite regularly, most of the towns I've seen are y'alls, the first and only pink/cherry town I've ever seen was someone's from here.
Seeing too many of any certain type town gets annoying but I think I'd rather seen a really devolved town , no matter how cliche, than barely anything towns.
And when I do visit dream suite, I never, ever find any developed towns, there are all beginner towns with nothing or really treed and bushed towns that are maze like and make frustrated because I can't get anywhere.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd like to think my town's pretty original but I never check the dream suite so I'm note sure.
It doesn't have a theme it just...is...
Ta-dah!
I really wish we could rotate the pwps so not everything faces south, and choose more colors for the home exterior stuff, that would help make all the towns unique.

I'm cool with a lot of the stuff. My biggest peeve are the town names. Especially earlier on. Every other person that would visit me or that I would visit had the same town names. Hyrule, Pallet, Japan, etc. Same names over and over again. No originality in that aspect. It sucked so much butt. I haven't really visited anyone in quite a while, so I don't know how the names evolved. I really hope this isn't gonna be a thing in future games. Heh.

Huh... I have a pink path in my town, with all these comments about pink idk if I should keep them :x

- - - Post Merge - - -

Since I don't visit dream suite regularly, most of the towns I've seen are y'alls, the first and only pink/cherry town I've ever seen was someone's from here.
Seeing too many of any certain type town gets annoying but I think I'd rather seen a really devolved town , no matter how cliche, than barely anything towns.
And when I do visit dream suite, I never, ever find any developed towns, there are all beginner towns with nothing or really treed and bushed towns that are maze like and make frustrated because I can't get anywhere.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd like to think my town's pretty original but I never check the dream suite so I'm note sure.
It doesn't have a theme it just...is...
Ta-dah!
I really wish we could rotate the pwps so not everything faces south, and choose more colors for the home exterior stuff, that would help make all the towns unique.
Yeah, maybe that and if we had more plants and pwp varieties there wouldn't be so many similar and boring towns.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I am not bashing on towns, I just think they're style is too similar to other towns. Here's my list of cliches (sorry if this is hard to understand, typed this when I was very tired):

- Pastel towns, especially pink ones. While it looks nice, it can get boring seeing the same colored town over and over after a while to the point where they don't feel that special. I've seen a few that look absolutely gorgeous, but there seems to be too many towns that are identicle.

- Forest towns. These are my favourite types of towns, but they are still cliched. One time I also set my town to be forest themed. When done right, they look breathtaking especially when the creator comes up with original ideas. However, most forest towns seem to use clover paths and cabin buildings which are kinda overused IMO.

- Horror towns. There's actually A LOT of horror towns, and almost all of them seem to copy Aika Village. I seriously don't get all the hype behind Aika Village, it's just a horror-themed town with an edgy, spooky story. The part that is copied the most is the doll with an axe left near it. Heck, I think you can even PICK UP the axe. Dead perfect fruit trees also seem to be very common, usually hacked in due to how time consuming it can take to grow so many perfect fruit trees just to shake them all until their leaves fall off.

- Cherry blossom towns. I've seen way too many of these. Don't get me wrong, cherry blossoms are pretty, but they get tiring and start to feel normal when you see them so many times due to how many towns are saved during the cherry blossom period.

- Towns with overused town names. While this one isn't targeted towards the towns themselves, it's rather targeted towards the names of some of these towns. If I recall correctly, there are a ton of towns called Twinleaf. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a nice name and a nice reference to the Pokemon games, but it's starting to get overused. At least in the GCN games, the town name 'Hyrule' was common for an actual reason (it allowed you to use some universal codes when you talk to Tom Nook).

- Overly-hacked towns. Hacked towns are fine by me, but not when people go too overboard with hacking and start doing weird stuff such as putting houses in water or on the train tracks, using mis-matched acres (i.e river acre that's not connected to a river / Tortimer Island acres in town), placing objects in unusual areas (such as trees in the river or ocean) and having more than one of the same exact villager (I once saw a town that was filled with nobody but 5 Stitches and 5 Cocos). Don't get me STARTED on the ones that prevent you from leaving or even crash the game as soon as you visit (mainly due to using train track acres on normal acres).

- Empty / messy towns. Pretty much the total opposite of overly-hacked towns. These are towns that either have barely anything in them (to the point of only being a day or two old - sometimes 4 years old but abandoned shortly after the game's release date) or have too much objects and weeds laying on the ground (I mean unintentionally, not to help the person who's visiting). Little to no vegetation and PWP's is what most of the empty towns have.

- Towns with the same old villagers we've seen a million times before. We get it, you love those villagers just like everybody else, but why not try to make friends with new villagers? This is mainly targeted towards towns that have very popular villagers just because other people like those villagers, rather than the creator having experienced owning a very popular villager in a town without knowing they were very popular.

As I said earlier, this is not meant to be harsh in any way. If it comes off as rude, just dismiss it as I was very tired and used a bad choice for words. Heck, my own town is also cliched (slightly hacked but not much as I reverted most of it, filled with flowers, a lot of popular villagers etc.) and I still like it. Just because I find a town cliched doesn't mean it's bad. Some cliches are good, some are bad. Cliches are subjective and I'm not forcing this as a fact. Moving on, I wish there were more unique towns too, such as ones based on the movie (though I've tried once but it's very difficult to do and more painful to maintain) or another video game series.

Last edited:
Cherry blossom/pastel towns. They literally all have Marshal, Diana, Marina, Stitches & those bunny sisters like it's a requirement.

Forest towns. I still think they are impressive, but after a while, everyone is just taking inspiration from each other. Clover paths, cabins, same pwps, overgrown forest with bamboos. I guess you can only do so much to differentiate yours from others. The hacked ones would have bamboos right on the river with the bridge hanging.

I can see this thread being "problematic" but it is what it is. Don't get me wrong too, I think those themes are nice to look at, but...

L9V.gif

And as you walk around the town you can kinda already guess what you're going to see.

There are a couple of dream towns that Misha Crossing from Youtube visits, and I think they are spectacular.

As much as I love the fact that you can decorate your town however you want, you are ultimately going to create a "cliche" town just due to the amount of people who play New Leaf and the kinds of PWPs you have available.

Let's say you want to create a lush forest town, like you would see in the countryside somewhere. Which of the remodels go best with a lush forest look? The fairy tale town hall/train station would look out of place, since you want something rustic. The modern ones don't fit what you would see in the country. That leaves your default town hall/train station or the Japanese ones.

Now let's look at PWPs. If you went with the defaults in the above scenario, you've got the log bench, wooden bridge, wisteria trellis, topiaries, etc, that would all suit the town. You wouldn't expect to see the drilling rig or the pyramid. If you went with the Japanese ones, you're likely going to be drawn to the Zen PWPs.

I created Clover expecting it to become a forest town. It became thoroughly Japanese. Then I got tired of that and completely reworked it to the "cliche" pink town and I love how it looks this way.

Long story short, your town is going to look like a copy unless you make all your paths yourself. We're all drawing from the same remodels, PWPs, and villagers. Most of us are going to draw from the same pool of QR codes online. As long as you like how it turns out, that's the most important thing.

Last edited:
I actually really enjoy forest-themed towns, but that’s because both of mine are to an extent. Haha.

As for cliches...

1. Zen towns: I see a lot of them. I’m not opposed to using Japanese-style PWPs or items, but a lot of people kind of go full-out traditional Zen-themed. I like when people kind of combine different elements together rather than do that, so I avoid these towns.

2. Neighbor house set-up: this one peeves me a little more. Everyone seems to be going for the neighborhood-look by placing all their neighbors’ houses right next to each other all uniform. I personally hate this and it takes away from the originality of your town.

~

Other than that, I really don’t have a problem with most towns as long as you’ve put effort into making it “yours.” I’ve liked looking at a lot of Dream Addresses on this site. C:

I'll say it again:

Most people want to play Animal Crossing to enjoy the game itself, and their towns are a reflection of what they enjoy doing with it. Few people want to play just to make crazy unique dream towns for others to view: It takes great effort, and it is not relaxing to do for a lot of people. Yet people want to see these towns come to life.

I'll also add to this: Look at the amenity options in Pocket camp - perhaps a glimpse to the next game's future. You don't see many obscure-looking, exotic kinds, like drilling rigs, pyramids, etc. They added near-cliche projects instead, and probably most camps in that game look even more 'cliche' than in New Leaf, why? Because that's what people want in their towns.

So please: Stop abusing towns for looking cliche - Their towns are what they want them to be as they play in them - and not many people want to stress out in having to make them unique.

Honestly, part of the obsession with sakura/cherry blossoms is the Japanese. Culturally, the Japanese LOVE sakura trees. However, in reality, those trees generally only bloom for about 2 weeks in an entire year. It can be less if too high of winds or rain comes along and knocks the flowers off of the trees (happened 1 year when I lived there...). That's probably why they love the sakura in spring in Animal Crossing, and make their dream town take advantage of that.

Anyway, I think everyone should make whatever town they want. Yeah, you see certain high tier villagers and certain themes over and over. But then you see really interesting, unique towns that surprise you because you never would've though of decorating in that way or using patterns in that way or whatever the case may be. The point of AC to have fun, so make whatever you want, even if it's similar to what others have done.

Alice in Wonderland is a little played out but I'm partially theming my town like that anyway because Alice in Wonderland means a lot to me. It also means there's themed paths, clothes and little cutout standees for me to choose from.

Ones I find annoying and repetitive are the pastel pink towns with Sanrio characters on the floor and in the stand-cutout pwp. I just find them really cliche and always have the same ideas as one another. Another one is the foresty towns that are hacked and have all of the clovers and the dirt paths, as well as the witch characters and same dreamie villagers (i do enjoy them because they fit my aesthetic and everything but they are very repetitive ;v;

even though I agree with pretty much every post in this thread i must say, this whole thread is made of cliche posts -except for a few that actually contributes with new ideas- yeah we get it pastel, forest, sanrio, empty, top tier popularity villager, cherry blossom and japanese towns are overdone
i mean the game is nearly five years old... it makes sense that there aren't as many unique town ideas anymore :p
and this. not really judging any of these "cliche" town owners. same for posters here, since we are already on 8th page.
for my contribution i'll just talk about houses, part of a town you know. i seriously got bored of seeing houses with rooms decorated by putting furniture only from one of the furniture series and nothing else. i'm looking at you ice room owners

I tend to like more of the less popular villagers so the types of towns that annoy me a bit are the ones with top tier villagers that I see everywhere... I don't really mind the forest towns or the pink towns or anything like that, but I do appreciate when I see a town with a theme that less used, like urban or something. I haven't spent too much time looking at dream towns and my current town is sort of foresty so I really have no say but to each their own I guess... :)

Back