• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is Tom Nook a human man?

Human or not?

• Total voters
he's one of this:
images.jpg

tanuki
tanooki
tom nooki

they have shapeshifting powers which they use to deceive people according to Japanese folklore. tomnooki steals all your money because they're little tricksters

Studio Ghibli actually made an entire movie about Tom Nook! It's called Pom Poko

This is the most 'kid friendly' version of the tanuki statue I could find. (very, very hard)
little known fact, that's the reason the original Tom Nook wears an apron. tanukis are always drawn with large gonads and they couldn't show that in a children's game but they also couldn't just draw him without any because that would be disrespectful to tradition

well, he sure ACTS LIKE one. yet, so does every animal. are all of the animals human? am i human? what does it mean to be.. 'human' where am i? why am i here? what happens after I die?

His nose moves when he talks which is what Redd and the Able Sisters also do to talk so I highly doubt it. In the movie, he even had a mouth and there wasn't any human skin in his mouth. The whole "Tom Nook is a man in a suit" thing started due to a rumour a villager will say in Wild World, which was only there as humour and not meant to be taken seriously.

Why would he be human? I think this question is better "suited" to the easter bunny

Tom nook is no man, he is the god we must pray to every night

Yes, he is a human. He's just wearing a fursuit the whole time, like every other villager/NPC in this game.

Ok, seriously, of course Nook is 100% an animal. In this case a tanuki, as many others pointed out already. If there is one NPC where you can be skeptical about his true identity then it's Zipper.

...wait... humans don't have tails.... then what am I??!! :confused:

Last edited:
I thought I remembered Wild World hinting at Tom Nook possibly being human . Unless I was imagining things, one of the vilagers you talk to were spreading a rumor that they saw a zipper on Tom Nook, which would at least hint that he has a racoon suit on. So I voted (possibly) yes, though I don't think this was mentioned again in the following releases.

Last edited:
What I remember is that Tom Nook is a Japanese raccoon dog, also known as tanuki in Japanese.

Why should somrone believe tom nook is human? He is clearly a Tanki or am I missing something out?! The only human is the player I think.

Well, the game is called Animal Crossing... but I don't like the implications for that.

Back