• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

So my 3ds is officially broken and now Pinwheel is left to rot

Pansear-and-Nana

✣✾Stupid Monkey✾✣
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Red Rose
It won't charge anymore(I don't have a secondary charger, just this one that has electrical tape around the base of the charger), and I tried the leave-alone trick and it doesn't unstuck the left key.

Now mind you, I live in a place where they don't sell 3DS's and my parents don't really trust me with these things.
I had my 3DS since Pokemon X and Y came out(2013). The only game cartridges I have are: Pokemon X, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, ACNL, Pokemon sun, ACHHD(after the sticky key happened), and Pokemon Super mystery dungeon(I'm a big fan of pokemon don't judge me)

The sticky left key happened when I left my 3ds closed whilst playing alpha sapphire and I think I might have accidentally stepped on the top of the 3DS?
My 3ds fell several times.
Neither screens are affected.
I was grounded once and it made me not play my 3ds for about half a month or so.
The battery died only a few times, maybe about 2-3 times.
I do not own a case nor a protector.
I still have the stylus.
My 3DS has scratches around the base.
I handle my cartridges with care.

It's red blinking as of now and I believe that if I can do the deny-villager move request, it will prevent anyone from moving out forever until I get to play again. I mean... if I can ever get to play with them again...

I have a few questions:

1. If I buy a new 3ds will my save file for Pinwheel still be there when I insert the cartridge there?
2. Is it really worth buying another 3ds instead of repairing it? (It's worth about 10000 pesos) (Note that my country doesn't have a 3DS repair shop and I'm scared of trusting any computer technicians)
3. If I shouldn't buy a new 3DS, should I wait to buy switch instead if and only if they move the AC and Pokemon games to switch?
4. If I shouldn't buy a new one, then should I trust a regular technician/repairer to fix my 3DS?
5. Should Pinwheel be only a dream for now on if I am unable to buy a new 3DS nor repair my old one now? In the mind of my canons only?

I'm actually fine with turning Pinwheel into just a dream. I can always reimagine running around my town in my imagination, and see the characters in a different perspective. But it's sad because I'm leaving my folks alone for years to come. It's my fault why I couldn't properly take care of my 3DS. Well animal crossing new leaf is kind of old and well I get it, but I still consider it one of my most favorite Nintendo games. :)
Now if you excuse me, I'll say goodbye to Nana one last time.

hi! i only know the answer to the first one, which is your file is saved on your game cartridge so in any 3DS you put it in, it will stay the same town!

hi! i only know the answer to the first one, which is your file is saved on your game cartridge so in any 3DS you put it in, it will stay the same town!

Oh that's splendid! I sure hope that the deny-moving-save-quit method works...

I am so sorry to hear this! I know this will sound dumb but losing a console can be pretty saddening if it means losing the ability to play any games you love and enjoy.

1-Yes, it should be! But you will need to get an update for the ACNL with amiibo for it to be playable. Since after updated it only works with update. I am unsure if the update is stored on sd card or not. Old 3ds SD cards are different from new 3ds (if you get one of those models). Won't be a problem if you have wifi still (it seems like you do since you're here). If you want a system transfer I reccomend calling Nintendo if you buy a new one ASAP, since otherwise it will be impossible to merge online accounts if you create an entirely new one.
2-I believe it is worth it, I would also reccomend finding a place to keep it. Someone was keeping a Nintendo Switch in a large soft sock since they had no case, really anything will do. Make sure you mark whatever it's in with something (maybe a sticker on it) so that way it won't be thought of as trash/laundry or something else.
3-I think that the Switch is okay, and it is really up to preference. Do you want new games, or your old games? Do you want new games later on, and your old games now? Both eventually? Since 3DS will be unavalible sooner then Switch. And Switch titles you may like probs won't be avalible for a good year or two minimum imo. So you might want a new 3DS. Plus wifi isn't free with switch by the time AC or Pokemon is avalible so consider that.
4-Unless they have alot of experience with Nintendo and 3DS consoles I think it would be a waste of money as glitches can occur and other parts of the system could wear out anytime considering what has happened to it.
5-That is up to you. And I believe that Pinwheel will remain cool, in dreams or not :3

Last edited:
1. If your game is on a cartridge and not a digital download, you should be able to play it on any other 3ds without issues.

2. I don't know the value of a peso compared to US Dollars so I can't tell you if that's cheap or not, but I say if you can find one pretty cheap then definitely go for it. A brand new 3DSXL here costs $200 and I just got the Zelda themed old one for about $100 about 2 months ago.

3. I suppose you could buy a Switch, but a new Animal Crossing game could be quite a ways off. Idk if you want to wait that long to play it. I would have the 3ds fixed or buy a new one, then maybe buy a Switch when there's mote games for it.

4. If the technician is a skilled professional, then yes, you could pay them to work on your 3ds as long as they've fixed 3ds's before. If you don't know a technician who is well known for fixing game consoles then your best bet is to just buy a new 3ds.

5. Honestly, an AC village can exist in canon and still be great. I still have my town Sunville on AC:WW but since I never play that game it really only exists in canon. I feel like having a village in canon gives you more freedom to decide what you want to do with it than the game allows, though it is nice to play it in-game once in a while.

I think if you leave for a while, it's unlikely that all your villagers will leave. Maybe just one. Maybe none. If you go on hiatus for long enough then that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

I'm really sorry to hear about your 3ds, I remember when my dad broke my DSiXL cause he tried to replace the Mic in it and now the console won't even turn on. Luckily about 6 months later my parents could finally afford to get me a 3ds. Hopefully you can get a new one soon. It'd be a shame to have all those games and not be able to play them.

I feel ya all my town in haitus because my 3ds its damaged and haven't found no one who can fix it so all my ideas are just a dream of my memory
All my games too :( I miss them greatly
As for your question
Your cartridge it's the memory so if you out it to another 3ds it's still the same town you raised proudly
And as for your case I will buy a new 3ds if you love playing
Because not really sure if switch accepts 3ds game
But do know switch will get a Pokemon adventure like the one we have and not a spin off (thought it will have that too)
I recommend a used 3ds wich will be less expensive
Or try to see if anyone know how to repair it and compared the prices if you really want to

Sadly your town will be a dream in your mind
But don't worry your not alone in the pain I have been like this for 2 months now

And really make sure you trust the one to repair if you do I have met some bad repairs who made my computer go bad that I needed to take it repair again wasting lots of money

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh that's splendid! I sure hope that the deny-moving-save-quit method works...

Yes that works still

Hi there. I have the answers for your questions.

1- Yes your data will be saved because physical copies save data on the game cartridge NOT the ds.

2- A New Ds is a great choice. I highly don't recommend A repair since it might break off soon. A fresh new device is a great choice. I highly recommend 3ds Xl or the new 2ds xl Which you can pick up for 150$ US.
I own the new 3DS XL and I love it.

3-The switch is totally different than the DS. Switch is like a compatible Xbox/Play station . I know it works on the go BUT it's mainly made for MULTI player and It's a home based product. So I recommend you to stay away from it. (Switch games are expensive too , each game can reach up to 80$ , while ds games can reach us to 50$)

4- You can trust. although your DS is not new and you should expect future damages.

5-Not sure what this question is about. Sorry.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear this! I know this will sound dumb but losing a console can be pretty saddening if it means losing the ability to play any games you love and enjoy.

1-Yes, it should be! But you will need to get an update for the ACNL with amiibo for it to be playable. Since after updated it only works with update. I am unsure if the update is stored on sd card or not. Old 3ds SD cards are different from new 3ds.
If you want a system transfer I reccomend calling Nintendo if you buy a new one ASAP, since otherwise it will be impossible to merge online accounts if you create an entirely new one.
2-I believe it is worth it, I would also reccomend finding a place to keep it. Someone was keeping a Nintendo Switch in a large soft sock since they had no case, really anything will do. Make sure you mark whatever it's in with something (maybe a sticker on it) so that way it won't be thought of as trash/laundry or something else.
3-I think that the Switch is okay, and it is really up to preference. Do you want new games, or your old games? Do you want new games later on, and your old games now? Both eventually? Since 3DS will be unavalible sooner then Switch. And Switch titles you may like probs won't be avalible for a good year or two minimum imo. Plus wifi isn't free with switch by the time AC or Pokemon is avalible so consider that.
4-Unless they have alot of experience iwth Nintendo and 3DS consoles I think it would be a waste of money as glitches can occur and other parts of the system could wear out anytime considering what has happened to it.
5-That is up to you. And I believe that Pinwheel will remain cool, in dreams or not :3

Well at least I'm patient. I have denied Lolly's moving and shut my 3ds down now. I have talked to Nana, and while I was finding Lolly, I saw a rainbow on the sky. How appropriate.

I kept my 3ds outside of a case, so I hope that if I can buy another one, or a switch, or both possibly, I should be able to find one.

I have another mental theory. It could because of my charger only, and not the 3ds. I could just buy a new charger. But if that doesn't work, then buying another or repairing it will be the only options.

Oh, that's a bummer.
The town stays on the cartridge, thankfully, though some save data for other games are on the sd card, which can be saved by using the computer.
If you aren't wild about the 3d, maybe you could possibly get the new 2ds xl (about $150-$165 USD), or a 2ds, which you can get for about $70 USD. I'm not sure which pesos are being used, so I can't help you with conversion.
A system transfer is really simple to do, it's like transferring your ds's soul to a new body. (providing It'll hold charge that long)
Nintendo can fix them (I was on the phone with them today), and for approx $100 usd, they'll repair everything (from what I understood, I could be wrong.)
I would really check around for a good repair guy, sometime cellphone/computer places also repair nintendo.
But I would opt for a new one, which is what I did. I'm very happy with my new 2dsxl.
I don't mean to sound cliche, but maybe you can find odd jobs to do to help pay for it? I scrubbed floors for a month and a half for mine.
There's a guy on ebay with great reviews that fixes 3dsxls for about $40.
Which I could help more.

Last edited:
Well at least I'm patient. I have denied Lolly's moving and shut my 3ds down now. I have talked to Nana, and while I was finding Lolly, I saw a rainbow on the sky. How appropriate.

I kept my 3ds outside of a case, so I hope that if I can buy another one, or a switch, or both possibly, I should be able to find one.

I have another mental theory. It could because of my charger only, and not the 3ds. I could just buy a new charger. But if that doesn't work, then buying another or repairing it will be the only options.

You'll want to try everything possible before sending it in for repairs or buying a new one. It could be the charger not working. I've had chargers die in the past, they just wear out after so many uses. Let us know if anything changes.

"And at the moment I got my number one wish, my first shiny pansear, gone at the first sight. Dylan is nothing but a dream."

"And at the moment I got my number one wish, my first shiny pansear, gone at the first sight. Dylan is nothing but a dream."

Don't lose hope just yet! We haven't even pronounced your 3DS dead yet and you're already kickin it into the casket.

Have you found out if it's your charger?

Definitely keep the sd card you have thats in the ds along with the cartridge if youre going to try to use a new ds.

Well, for the whole "is it worth it" thing if you do end up getting a new one:
Since you said it would be about 10000 pesos (I'm assuming you meant Philippino pesos) that would be the equivalent to 200 USD, which is the average price for them new (I think?) If you needed a quick replacement, you could get a 2DS, which would be about 60 percent cheaper (assuming that 2ds prices are the same here and there without currency differences). Honestly, I'd say that you should probably opt for a new one (the cheaper the better) or try and find a used one if you could manage to. I'd say just stick to the 3ds even if this one dies because you've already got the games for the 3ds, the switch just came out and it would definitely take a while to have better games come for it, if they even do in the first place, the switch is a lot less durable that the 3ds which may be a problem for you, and the 3ds overall is a lot more portable. I'd say just try to get a new one if you get a chance (or opt for a 2ds or used version) and stick with the 3ds system family in general. Good luck with this whole predicament!
Side note: try seeing if it's the charger first, don't want to blow money on repairs or a new one if there's a solution right there

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for whatever happened to your DS :eek:
It looks like others have given plenty of advice, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it's just an easy fix after all :3

Last edited:
Well getting a new charger will take as long as buying a new 3ds but i guess its a lot cheaper. I'll see if it is.

Definitely keep the sd card you have thats in the ds along with the cartridge if youre going to try to use a new ds.

You can't just take an SD card out of one 3ds and use it in another. You'd have to do a system transfer to do that, or put the files from the one SD card on your computer then put those files on the other card.

I've heard that if you take a break from your village, you can prevent villagers from moving out by taking out the cartridge off your DS. I'm not sure if it's true, I remember rumours going around that they will never leave. Just for safety, I recommend that you take your cartridge out. Does anybody else know if this works?

A similar thing happened to my first 3DS XL. I dropped it so much that the hinge broke and the wire that made the screen show up snapped. My mom had to hold the wire together while I transferred my data to a new 3DS XL. I was pretty scared of losing my data the whole time. Luckily, my data has survived four years and three 3DS XLs. I hope your data is ok to transfer as well. I enjoy looking at your unique art of your villagers. :)

Last edited:
I've heard that if you take a break from your village, you can prevent villagers from moving out by taking out the cartridge off your DS. I'm not sure if it's true, I remember rumours going around that they will never leave. Just for safety, I recommend that you take your cartridge out. Does anybody else know if this works?

I don't know anything about that but I got the digital version and took a 1.5 year break and nobody moved when I came back :v

Anyway to OT if it were me, as an animal crossing freak and assuming you're one too. I would get a replacement 3DS as soon as possible. my old 3DS used to shut off when moving the top screen and a few days after I got a new 3ds + did a system transfer it stopped turning on completely. I was SO glad. If you're seriously considering a Switch the still get a 2DS and Switch later. Lol. For the sake of your AC town, digital downloads, etc.

Last edited:
Back