Tips on catching the gar?

Esmeree

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Hi. I've been trying to catch the gar for a little while now and I have been using the save and continue tactic, I also know the shadow size and where it's located (and what time) but I still don't have any luck. :( anyone have any tips?

You can also go in and out of villager houses to respawn the fish and bugs. It helps a lot! Other than that, scare away any of the fish that you know wouldn't be a gar. Hope this helps! I hope you can catch one before the end of the season ^^

Sorry to disappoint you but uh... going inside of your villagers houses takes way too long and plus saving and continuing does the same thing it faster. Also scaring away the fish is personally not a good tactic for me since when I scare them away, the chance of a gar appearing afterwards without resetting the fish in the town is extremely low. Thanks for your reply though :)

- - - Post Merge - - -
What is the save and continue tactic?

Saving and continuing resets all the creatures in your town. It's faster than waiting for others to appear manually

- - - Post Merge - - -

You can also go in and out of villager houses to respawn the fish and bugs. It helps a lot! Other than that, scare away any of the fish that you know wouldn't be a gar. Hope this helps! I hope you can catch one before the end of the season ^^

Also do you have any different tactics? Sorry for replying to you in 2 messages :p

Last edited:
I had this problem not long ago. That gar would not show up. First in case you don't know the gar is out at night 4pm to 9am and only in the lake. I used the save/continue trick.
You go to the lake during those hours and if the gar isn't there(no big shadow) press start and choose save and continue. This resets the bugs/fish(going into buildings does too but this is quicker) and this way you stay at the lake instead of going back to your house when you save and quit.
Check the lake again and if the gar is not there do it again. Keep repeating this til the gar shows up. How long it takes varies. I did it with the snakehead and it only took 3 tries. The gar took a lot longer for me. In all fairness I had a few big shadows that got away so it may have taken less time had I been faster with the A button,lol. Also the shadow is really big, when I caught it I thought it was another Arapaima til I reeled it in. Good luck!

I had this problem not long ago. That gar would not show up. First in case you don't know the gar is out at night 4pm to 9am and only in the lake. I used the save/continue trick.
You go to the lake during those hours and if the gar isn't there(no big shadow) press start and choose save and continue. This resets the bugs/fish(going into buildings does too but this is quicker) and this way you stay at the lake instead of going back to your house when you save and quit.
Check the lake again and if the gar is not there do it again. Keep repeating this til the gar shows up. How long it takes varies. I did it with the snakehead and it only took 3 tries. The gar took a lot longer for me. In all fairness I had a few big shadows that got away so it may have taken less time had I been faster with the A button,lol. Also the shadow is really big, when I caught it I thought it was another Arapaima til I reeled it in. Good luck!
Thanks so much!

Back