My grass?!

BerybyllNathan

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So I know about grass deterioration - I think it's an incredibly stupid and useless feature - but I've been very careful. I never run! Nobody is allowed to run!

HOWEVER - I noticed today, that the space all around my house (where I never walk as it's all my special flowers) is completely grassless. As is most of the space around my house. As is a LOT of the ground in my town, I am now noticing.

I don't TT, I don't have visitors who run, and I never run! What has caused this and how can I grow it back??

I don't understand why this feature even exists, what is it meant to add to the game?

It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to annoy the player. I saw another thread on here recently where they talked about "the grass trick". I haven't tried it but they said set your game to one month ahead and then go into your town. immediately save and go back to the correct date and the grass will be back. Obviously if you don't TT this isn't an option but if you do it might be worth trying. Good luck

Just checked and it's called the grass regrowth trick still works. Posted by Aeikurin if you wanna read it.

Last edited:
The above method works great for grass regrowing but if you don't time travel, try planting trees and flowers over the dirt spots that you want to regrow. And if you have flowers over it, make sure to water them. I've done it many times, and try to stick with a new path that doesn't require stepping over any of those areas until you're satisfied with the results.

I didn't play for a week and almost nearly lost my dirt paths. Before dirt paths were so easy to make (yay!) and now they are disappearing on me.

I don't know anymore.

I can definitely see the deterioration being a nuisance to many players, but some people actually like being able to have natural paths. It definitely adds to the charm of forest or pastoral themed towns. I've never had an issue with it - most of my grass remains green and only the well-trodden paths become earthy :3

Thanks guys! It actually bothers me so much I may do the time travel trick. I hope nobody I love moves out! But if they do, I am finding my town a little stale at the moment so maybe that will be an interesting shake-up.

Even though you never run over it, walking still affects grass deterioration. Normally, if you walk over the same spot too much, your grass could deteriorate. I reckon that you walk near your house and in and out of it too much, therefore it has deteriorated. My Town Hall has grass deterioration bordering the cobblestone entrance, because I always walk to and from it. But as mentioned above, you could try the two tricks/glitches. Time travel after winter, or time travel one month, save, and go back to the original time. If you don't want any of your villagers moving out, make sure you talk to them and make sure nobody's moving, before you TT.

There are also spots of dirt that just never grow back. There could possibly be spots that were always like that and you never noticed until recently :<

I've actually stopped playing my game or a few weeks, just so the grass would grow back. It was torture not playing. Lol.

Funny story. Years ago, I was playing City Folk. I would run around fishing, catching bugs, etc. When winter came, I couldn't build a snowman, because there was no snow. It only just barely lined the cliffs. I didn't understand why my ENTIRE town was nothing but dirt. Turns out that the snow won't go on the dirt spots. I guess I just played too hard and too much.Lol.

Does anyone know if fertilizer helps the grass grow? I've never seen it mentioned but I wonder what would happen if you buried fertilizer in dirt patches. When I get my store upgrade to that point I'll have to try it.

Last edited:
Back