A month into my town, I'm still sticking to my vow and it's torture

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
As some of you guys know, back in June and when I went through my pre Alubarna reset, I made a vow to not buy anything from anyone, and earn everything myself and I want to let you guys know that this vow sucks. I have a 400k house loan with no money and I forget to go to the island at night because I'm playing Harvest Moon at night.

Also, I need bush starts and my island doesn't want to spawn them, and when they do spawn I'm too lazy to do the tours. My town is never going to get finished. :(

But I'm not breaking this vow. I refuse. Anyone else suffering with me, with no Bells and loans up the wazoo?

Last edited:
I never bought a single bell here, and yes, I'm all up in loans. x)
It's easy getting money oin summer tough, because beetles and sharks spawn in your town and beach, no need to go to the island~ also, isn't it easier to upgrade Leif's shop and buy the bushes there? Getting hibiscus from the island is a very uncertain event...

lol i didn't trade for a long time in my first town because i didn't have anyone to trade with. i think i paid off my entire house loan without buying anything from other people... i really liked the achievement parts of the game but now i'm a bit sick of it, like catching fish to not have the ugliest town and house gets a bit annoying when you have several characters in different towns.
i much prefer making my town look good over spending a bunch of time on things i've done so many times before hahah.

2 tbt will pay off your loan. :p
You currently have 2 000 plus tbt.
I honestly don't see any problem with it.

Just play at your own pace, and don't worry too much about what you do not have. When I started my recent town, it took until I got the T.I.Y. upgrade before I decorated with starts - mainly because I wasn't interested in Hibiscus bushes at the time.

Also, fear not about the money problem - The island is incredibly helpful. My main mission at first was expand my home as quick as possible, and I did it successfully in under a month, thanks to doing 2 full beetle runs each night... Then again, I also was motivated to do this due to my last town being dismantled from a busted game card.

i played for two months before i started using the forum, so i did everything slow and steady and it was great hehe

i think it's harder once you've gotten into using the forum to get bells and items and hybrids, because once you do that its so rough to go cold turkey, like you are. best of luck! hang in there! it's really great of you to try to do this with your new town!

I have played ever since ACNL came out and never bought anything from anyone. Never sold anything either.

I've only bought money for my cycling towns, as for stuff....I would like to say I sell more than I buy.

I don't think I would be able to do that considering I buy a ton of things on here ^^

I know. That's why I said :
" I honestly don't see any problem with it "
:p

I don't think there's a problem with people buying stuff. And I'm aware that I can buy stuff. I personally decided not to. I want to earn everything myself because the time i did buy money and stuff from people, the game stopped being fun to me because I was able to pay off my house and PWP projects right away, and it wasn't fun.

Earning stuff myself is making the game more fun, it's rewarding to know that all the stuff I'm doing in my town is through my own hard work and money I earned myself, not from money I bought from other people. It's tedious, but it's making the game more enjoyable. And that's a lot coming from me, considering I'm extremely impatient in real life.

The only thing I will buy from people, are villagers. But not items and not money.

Last edited:
Yes. I just started a new town a few weeks ago and everything is money money money. House payments, shop upgrades(buying crap to make them upgrade), pwps and collecting crap for the eventual gracies fashion check(ugh). I just got the last 2nd floor upgrade so once I pay it off I've only(lol only) got all the extra 1st floor rooms and basement plus accompanying upgrades.
I've also built the dream suite,2nd floor of the museum,campsite and just paid off the cafe(it'll be built tomorrow). All I want is for someone to ask for the police station but noooooo! Were gonna ask for every ugly pwp there is but no police station cause I want it. They should've made it where villagers pay most/all of pwp costs(they pay almost nothing and it's annoying).
The only good way I know to get money is beetle/shark hunting on the island(I do change my game time to night to do that) and that gets boring after awhile. I've never bought money or anything but there was another player on here and we used to trade stuff. The only things I might buy here in future are the dlc items that are no longer available anywhere else, the fruit I don't have if I don't manage to get it and maybe trade for some gracie furniture or welcome amiibo items since I don't have the scanner or the cards and have no intention of buying them.
I do hope if they make any future versions of the game that they stop making the player pay for EVERYTHING. We already have enough to do paying the house loans. It's bad enough we have no say over what pwps we get why should we have to pay for them all too? If someone asks for a lighthouse or a bench they should be willing to pay for it. If I'm gonna pay for it I should be able to choose the ones I want(especially the police station). Plus my villagers never ask for the pretty pwps just the crap ones.

If you don't have access to RVs yourself, you should also consider "allowing" yourself to buy those items on here! Or if you really want to feel like you earned it, then you could just buy visits to RVs to spend your own coupons. I love a lot of the WA stuff (maybe you don't though, which is fine!) so I'd feel pretty limited if I didn't trade on here.

You do you though! Sometimes I feel a little bit dirty earning cold cash from here (which is a lot easier than through the game), and at those times I want to do what you're doing. But personally I have a lot of things I want to do--gaming-wise and in real life--and there's only so much time I want to expend on ACNL. I'm also worried that I'd lose interest if I didn't see any progress. It's not actually the grind that I mind. I find that part very zen and relaxing and suitable for multitasking.

Good luck with your town!

Wow! I think that vow is really good. Because I didn't discover this forum until last year, and by that time my town was almost 3 years old, I had unlocked all the shops and upgraded my house by then. Really, I think you're right, because I'm proud at all the hard work I've done to accomplish what I have with my town.
Also, I would suggest buying turnips to earn money. I don't know if you decided not to go to other forum members' towns to sell turnips, but that can be really helpful in making a profit.

When I was a noob, I made my cash selling fruit. My house was built of a fruit empire. Every few days, net myself 60k.

Back